Thread: Rare condition.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Rare condition.

We had a customer come in the other day who said he had a rare eye condition (he didn't name it) that prevents his eyes from moving at all. During my conversation with him, it was apparent that they indeed did not move. He also has moderate plus (around +2.50) with 8 D prism Base out OU.
    He was wearing 1.60 Comforts, and we put him in Hoya GPW 1.70 index. We'll see how nice they look when they come back.
    Does anyone have a clue what the eye condition would be? I was wanting to research it some more, and I am kicking myself for not asking him what it was called.:hammer:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    We had a customer come in the other day who said he had a rare eye condition (he didn't name it) that prevents his eyes from moving at all. During my conversation with him, it was apparent that they indeed did not move. He also has moderate plus (around +2.50) with 8 D prism Base out OU.
    He was wearing 1.60 Comforts, and we put him in Hoya GPW 1.70 index. We'll see how nice they look when they come back.
    Does anyone have a clue what the eye condition would be? I was wanting to research it some more, and I am kicking myself for not asking him what it was called.:hammer:
    A number of things could cause ophthalmoplegia. If he has complete paralysis of all the extraocular muscles, I'm wondering how he can take advantage of progressive lenses.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A number of things could cause ophthalmoplegia. If he has complete paralysis of all the extraocular muscles, I'm wondering how he can take advantage of progressive lenses.
    I was about to say you could give them a dog of a progfressive and say it will perform miracles and they wouldn't notice the difference.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    From time to time I get this very condition when a lovely lady enters the store :D. Seriously that is very strange and interesting.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN View Post
    From time to time I get this very condition when a lovely lady enters the store :D. Seriously that is very strange and interesting.
    Me too, but it's one of my reps.:D

I'll find out more about it when he comes back. I'm guessing he's a peripheral vision reader.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does he converge? If not you better not inset the segs in any type lens.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Does he converge? If not you better not inset the segs in any type lens.

Chip
    Just to be on the safe side, we measured his old lenses for PD, seg relationship, etc and we matched them in the new frame. I noticed his old lenses were normally inset, because that was what I was thinking, that we'd have to rotate the axis and the lens to get vertical segs, not angled. So if he was working OK with his old ones he should be fine with the new ones.
    Apparently the 8 BO prism does most of his converging for him.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was reading a thread on here the other day of a frame line that had patient-adjustable nosepads. Would something like this help this patient, potentially? perhaps I read the other thread incorrectly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Single vision...

Sounds to me like he must have some limited ability to converge or the progessives would not work smoothly. Amblyopic perhaps? I'd try SV dist and SV near just to see how well he sees with them. He might thank you for them, at least as some spares.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Sounds to me like he must have some limited ability to converge or the progessives would not work smoothly. Amblyopic perhaps? I'd try SV dist and SV near just to see how well he sees with them. He might thank you for them, at least as some spares.
    That does sound like a good idea. I'll suggest some SV readers for him when he returns.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Sounds to me like he must have some limited ability to converge or the progessives would not work smoothly.
    ...as well as some limited ability to move the eyes vertically.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Apparently the 8 BO prism does most of his converging for him.

Base out!? In both Distance and near?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if his eyes don't move at all, progressives are completely worthless, right? Am I missing something?

It's true that even 'normal' hyperopes like BO prism. It does help them converge. Wait, or is it BI prism? Anyway, if it is both distance and near, how does that help convergence?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Was it "progressive external ophthalmoplegia" ?

http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic510.htm

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B/O or B/I

Hello,

My guess is that it would be Base In (A Relieving Prism, which will move the images out to his eyes), rather than Base Out (A Working Prism, which will move the image even closer inward, forcing him to try to strengthen/turn his muscles)...which he can't do.

probably BI.

?

: )

Laurie

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Hello,

My guess is that it would be Base In (A Relieving Prism, which will move the images out to his eyes), rather than Base Out (A Working Prism, which will move the image even closer inward, forcing him to try to strengthen/turn his muscles)...which he can't do.

probably BI.

?

Laurie
    OK OK. I'll post his complete RX already.:bbg::bbg:
    His still have yet to return from Hoya but here it is:

+2.75-2.00 X 12 8 BO
    +3.50-1.50 X 153 8 BO
    +2.25 add
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Suspect if the eyes are "frozen" in place. They may be slightly turned in and the prism is to bring the images together when looking straight ahead.
    Rather doubt if any accomodation is present. And if the patient cannot move the eyes in, out, up or down any type bifocal, expecially progressives will be completely useless. Unless of course, the patient moves them up and down manually with his hand, or has one of those little trick bridge frames that elevates the frame on the nose for near.
    Still a progressive would be the lens of last choice for this patient.

First choice would be two pairs of glasses, one for near, one for distance with the same P.D. on both pair.

Chip:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Suspect if the eyes are "frozen" in place. They may be slightly turned in and the prism is to bring the images together when looking straight ahead.
    Rather doubt if any accomodation is present. And if the patient cannot move the eyes in, out, up or down any type bifocal, expecially progressives will be completely useless. Unless of course, the patient moves them up and down manually with his hand, or has one of those little trick bridge frames that elevates the frame on the nose for near.
    Still a progressive would be the lens of last choice for this patient.

First choice would be two pairs of glasses, one for near, one for distance with the same P.D. on both pair.

Chip:cheers:
    I discussed this some more today with the optician who primarily cared for him. Turns out he can move them up and down, just not horizontally. She had more time to talk with him than I did at the time.

Oh, did I not mention the toothpicks he has embedded into his eyes so he can manually move them???:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

very interesting...

I am surprised that it is BO...

Any orthoptic types here? So far, I think Chip has the best advice, two pair, same PD.

Are you going to fill it as is, or maybe try temporary Fresnel prisms first?

Please let us know how it turns out...I enjoy relating these interesting cases to our optical students. Nothing beats real life scenarios.

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Yup.....

Any orthoptic types here? So far, I think Chip has the best advice, two pair, same PD.

Please let us know how it turns out...I enjoy relating these interesting cases to our optical students. Nothing beats real life scenarios.

Laurie
    You are right Laurie, that is why I so love this Board! Chris.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ryser equation..... The success rate of a progressive is proportional to the motivation of a patient to wear them:bbg:

Harry- Is this a theorem or an equation:hammer:Can you express this in a mathematical formula?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Laurie
    I'll keep y'all posted about them when they return. I did not do the Fresnel prism trial because he's already wearing that much prism.
    As for Fresnel prisms though.. my next door neighbor has an aneurysm in his brain. Several years ago, it had made his right eye turn all the way in to his nose. We put increasingly strong prisms in his lenses until there was too much to grind and we went top Fresnels. Over the course of a year he went from 8 diopters prism to the max they make the Fresnels, 40 diopters.:drop:
    The MDs here said they couldn't help him so he went to Ohio State where there was al ady neuroophthalmologist. She examined him and said she could help. He had the surgery and sure enough, his eye was normally placed. We scrapped his prisms, but needed them later as after a couple of years it had moved most of the way back in. He has since had many strokes, I found him face-down by our fence once, his wife found him in the back yard once. He has been under Hospice care for a very long three months now - they just can't figure out why he doesn't die. He's told me he is praying to die, but those old WW II submariners are a tough lot.:cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The MDs here said they couldn't help him so he went to Ohio State where there was al ady neuroophthalmologist. She examined him and said she could help. He had the surgery and sure enough, his eye was normally placed.
    That's Susan Benes. She's nice and very competent.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Okay, the patient came in today to pick up his new glasses. He loved them, was able to read the 20/20 line and had no diplopia evident. YAY!
    He said what he had was Duane's Retraction in both eyes. Usually he said it was only in one eye.
    http://www.revoptom.com/HANDBOOK/oct02_sec6_1.htm
    That seems to back it up as per the unilateral aspect.
    This is the first time I have encountered this disease, and fortunately, the local MD was right on the Rx.
    All's well!:cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information