Thread: Anyone seen this website??

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Anyone seen this website??

I was just checking internet prices on the Proclear Multifocal Toric and stumbled upon this:
    http://www.aclens.com/contact_lens_f...n=topics&fid=3

I can't believe that some "eye doctor" actually posts advice on this stuff!! Saying it's "probably okay" for someone to wear someone else's CLs because they are close in power!! Imagine the legal implications!!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    lens101.com would also be headed in that direction if it wasn't for more responsible moderators like OPTIDONN and others. I think more and more of the online CL providers are starting to put up more informational sites geared towards attracting new clients to their wares. I think that as professionals more of the informational sites should be run and operated by opticians, optometrists, and ophthalmologists.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that the only information available on informational sites like these should be, "Any questions or concerns? Call or visit your Eye Care Professional today."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    I think that the only information available on informational sites like these should be, "Any questions or concerns? Call or visit your Eye Care Professional today."
    Agreed, but these sites are hosted and run by online vendors who are affected by the these very same patients. Think of it this way if a patient is told that they should see their ECP because of overwear they will be sidelined from the CL game until the eyes are quiet, that could potentially kill a sale for the online vendor. Most of the people running these online sites have no affiliation with anything optical, to them it's just another widget sold at the end of the day.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yeah I don't really trust that "doc". I see him all over. He's some guy from Texas, he's all over odwire.com. I wonder how all the docs there would feel about his contact lens internet activities?:finger:

Isolate your eyes! Live Eyewear's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    As a manufacturer, I can tell you that this site is one of a group of rogue eyecare and eyewear sites that sell sunglass products without actually being an authorized retailer. They buy some of the products they sell via third parties, as we closed their direct account a long time ago. I have heard the same exact story from several other manufacturers... but we are working together to legally stop the unauthorized distribution of our products via a group of rogue sites... most owned by the same individuals.

We field complaints from consumers regaridng these websites on a routine basis.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    who is the doc?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero View Post
    who is the doc?
    Don't want to mention names in public but I sent you a PM with the info

Occupation
    Don't know who the doctor is, but the site is run by and operated by:

Philip Dietrich
    pdietrich@IOHIO.COM
    4695 Northwest Parkway
    Hilliard, Ohio 43026
    Toll Free (888)797-7971
    Fax (614) 921-9866
    Phone (614) 921-9857

Occupation
    Donn, PM me the docs info, I have a few moe things I'd like to check out.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a little trouble with this as many, many eyecare professionals give the patient no instruction on care, don't tell them little essentials like what soap to wash their hands with and which ones not to use. Little things like put the lenses on before make up.
    Many try to fit one size fits all, many fit whatever trial set they were given and nothing else.
    The public needs alternative advise sources. In today's dog eat dog opthalmic environment where the bottom line indicates sucess, much of the advise or lack of same one recieves in the "professionals" office cannot be trusted.

Chip

It makes me very sad to post this but it's all too true.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I have a little trouble with this as many, many eyecare professionals give the patient no instruction on care, don't tell them little essentials like what soap to wash their hands with and which ones not to use. Little things like put the lenses on before make up.
    Many try to fit one size fits all, many fit whatever trial set they were given and nothing else.
    The public needs alternative advise sources. In today's dog eat dog opthalmic environment where the bottom line indicates sucess, much of the advise or lack of same one recieves in the "professionals" office cannot be trusted.

Chip

It makes me very sad to post this but it's all too true.
    I would generally agree, although I think the forum listed above shows that people are confused, but unwilling to actually pay a professional for their time to learn the correct way to do things.

Perhaps they were told at some point. Perhaps not. I think little too no training goes on quite a bit, like you say. What happens just as much is a patient never thinks to ask these things when in the chair. Seems once they are a contact lens wearer, they are experts!!! No new training is needed :(

And it does fit nicely into your usual mantra of one size fits all contacts. Personally, I think the manufacturers have done more of this than the "professionals." Unfortunately, they just seem to go along for the ride and are upset they can no longer profit on the materials and have to see three times the number of patients to generate the same amount of income.

Not enough education, about a great many things... :)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero
    Personally, I think the manufacturers have done more of this than the "professionals."
    At least twice a month we have to exlain to an upset patient who has printed upa free trial pair coupon from the internet that if they don't have an Rx or exam done no free contacts. I think often times the patient is nervous when getting the initial fit, with overcomeing their fear of touching their eyes often times they end up forgetting 80% or better of the direction that was given to them, then they get home and feel embarased that they forgot how to clean them or take them out, so they go to places like these forums to get their info.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    certainly true. I always make a point to go over almost everything again on the followup. Not as much with established wearers. Just as much, though, I think people assume they know and so never ask, and it often turns out to be the wrong info. I'm not quite sure if EVERY eye care provider is providing wrong information. Combination of poor education to begin with and patient retention. It is amazing how nervous some people get...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Not only contact lenses.......................

How can we discount eyeglasses so much?

39 Dollar Glasses.com was developed by eye doctors to create an inexpensive method for people to acquire high quality, finished prescription eyeglasses online. From their experience in both private offices and retail establishments, the founders decided they could provide this service for people inexpensively, bypassing expensive retail establishments.

We use the same high quality materials, but can offer them at a high discount because of our high volume, since we don't have the additional overhead constraints (such as retail rent space, behind-the-counter employees, and expensive displays) that your doctor's office or optical must overcome. Since operating this website is much less expensive than a typical retail establishment, we are able to pass these savings on to the general public online.

Anti-Reflective Coating

Our premium anti-reflective coating is ideal for computer use and night driving. They work by increasing the light transmission through the lenses, providing you with the clearest, sharpest vision at all times. Any great-looking pair of eye glasses will look even better: people will see your eyes through the lenses, not the light reflection! For this reason, we automatically include anti-reflective coatings with any of our rimless eyeglass packages. Though this premium coating retails for $70.00 , you can add them to any other package for only $24.95
    http://www.aclens.com/extframe.asp?G...152298-8351202

This website has a very traffic ranking by Google,Alexa and Yahoo. It is probably very well listed in search results.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-16-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lots of people on that website the need help NOW! Don't you understand they are OUT OF CONTACTS!! (Actuall quote "my dad completely forgot to get me a new set")

Every one of those threads can be answered with "Wear your back-up glasses"

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by scograd View Post
    I was just checking internet prices on the Proclear Multifocal Toric and stumbled upon this:
    http://www.aclens.com/contact_lens_f...n=topics&fid=3

I can't believe that some "eye doctor" actually posts advice on this stuff!! Saying it's "probably okay" for someone to wear someone else's CLs because they are close in power!! Imagine the legal implications!!!
    At the risk of playing the role of Ron Paul at a Republican debate, I did want to comment on the specific thread that was referenced: http://www.aclens.com/contact_lens_f...id=3&tid=44424

A soccer player asked if wearing someone else's contact lenses (that were underpowered -0.50 D from his own) would damage his eyes. The doctor, probably inferring the other contact lenses in question were a pair of unused soft disposables, replied: "nobody knows. if you 2 have the same sizing then it would probably be okay on a temporary basis, but if you dont, then it wont." If the doctor's inferences are correct, then I would view his statement as accurate.

Obviously, inferences and assumptions in contexts such as these invite the possibility of harm occurring, thus I agree with those who think that extreme caution should be taken when dispensing medical advice outside of an established doctor-patient relationship.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You got Gusto!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Every one of those threads can be answered with "Wear your back-up glasses"

Bravo, man! I totally agree!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information