Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refractionists who today, still write Rx's in "+" Cyl

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Refractionists who today, still write Rx's in "+" Cyl

form..

...need to be spanked!

I'm gettin too old to deal with this...especially when using wrap compensators.

My two cents...what's yours?

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Whats the pluses for plus cylinders=Business!

Come on Barry, a little transposing never hurt anyone! :D

I have one MD who refers ALOT of patients to me. With the amount of patients he refers...........I would have to *spank* myself (back to reality) before I would ever vote for a "NO Plus Cylinder Rule"!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As long as it gets out of the doctors office and into my store I don't care how he writes it. If I can't read it or don't understand anything I call.
    But then I still remember when plus cylinder was ground on the front, minus cylinder on the back.
    I have even had practioners who occasionally wrote one eye in plus cylinder and the other in minus.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    As long as it gets out of the doctors office and into my store I don't care how he writes it. If I can't read it or don't understand anything I call.
    But then I still remember when plus cylinder was ground on the front, minus cylinder on the back.
    I have even had practioners who occasionally wrote one eye in plus cylinder and the other in minus.

Chip
    Ohh, man. I had a job once that was CR-39,high plus, plus cyl and about 5D cyl axis 90. Just TRY to keep that in a 52 eye Cambridge!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    My two cents...what's yours?

Barry
    Most ECPs that refract in +cyl see 90% hyperopes, it's a little easier for them to add Cyl without taking away plus.

Banned
    Occupation

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm tellin' you...

wait till you make, or have to make wrap transpositions regularly..

You will HATE plus cyl...

B

Occupation
    Hire an elf to transpose for you, I think there's one about to get fired in another thread :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Easy math...

I work for an MD and deal with it everyday. The math is simple, especially since we are working with a relatively limited number set. However, I find myself constantly transposing to answer patient questions about Rx differences etc and of course always when calculating contact lens powers.

Barry, could you give us an example of how plus cylinder complicates your wrap Rx's? I am asking only out of curiosity and hope you won't take offense to me asking.

Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but why do MD's tend to write in plus cyl and OD's in minus?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

plus cyl docs

The only time I see OD's use this is when they in an Opthamology clinic. My opinion is it makes them feel more like MD's. Now OD's do not get offended, that is my opinion but it just happens to happen every time in my experience.

Occupation
    ODs tend to have no choice when the autorefractor is set to +cyl and all the phorotptors are +cyl. ;)

Nothing to do with feeling important my friend.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I key the Rx into my computer, then click the "transpose" button. :bbg:
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Barry, could you give us an example of how plus cylinder complicates your wrap Rx's? I am asking only out of curiosity and hope you won't take offense to me asking.

Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but why do MD's tend to write in plus cyl and OD's in minus?
    I use Darryl's wrap compensator. I have it set to a precision of 0.01D. Since I *evaluate* the compensated Rx, the starting Rx, the previous Rx history (which usually is in minus cyl), and the expected Rx progression when I decide how to order and tolerance the wrap eyewear, and that the compensator *only* gives results in minus cyl form...well..it is just easier if they are all in the same cyl convention. There is simply less chance of mistakes being made.

No matter how you slice it, I see no excuse for continued use of "+" cyl form. Some might say I'm lazy. But I'll counter that the refractionist is too lazy to "get with the program" in the new millenium.

FWIW

Barry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    ODs tend to have no choice when the autorefractor is set to +cyl and all the phorotptors are +cyl. ;)

Nothing to do with feeling important my friend.
    I too thought it has somthing to do with MDs having + cyl in their phoropters, while ODs have - cyl.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really fail to see the problem here. Transposing from plus cyl to minus cyl is so easy that you ought to be able to do it in your head without barely giving it a second thought, (except to double check of course).

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think the original poster's intent may be misplaced or is trying to take a swipe at optometrists. What a ridiculous post.

1. A plus cylinder prescriptiondon't mean you have to dispense as plus cylinder base curve lens form.
    2. If you cannot transpose, don't accept the Rx's.
    3. If you're so upset, tell the prescribing doctor so the doctor can send the Rx somewhere else.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip,

I can remember when I used to rock them cylinders in. I bet you do too!

*quote=chip anderson;191341]As long as it gets out of the doctors office and into my store I don't care how he writes it. If I can't read it or don't understand anything I call.

Chip[/quote]

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For us old dogs it is a piece of cake!

Quote Originally Posted by npdr View Post
    I think the original poster's intent may be misplaced or is trying to take a swipe at optometrists. What a ridiculous post.

1. A plus cylinder prescriptiondon't mean you have to dispense as plus cylinder base curve lens form.
    2. If you cannot transpose, don't accept the Rx's.
    3. If you're so upset, tell the prescribing doctor so the doctor can send the Rx somewhere else.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza View Post
    I really fail to see the problem here. Transposing from plus cyl to minus cyl is so easy that you ought to be able to do it in your head without barely giving it a second thought, (except to double check of course).
    Again, with the advent of wrap compensations (done to a precision of 0.01D), I think you'll see my point when you are doing quite a number of these, as I do.

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by npdr View Post
    I think the original poster's intent may be misplaced or is trying to take a swipe at optometrists.
    To clear the air... I was *not* trying to take a swipe at ODs...only those refractionists who continue writing Rxs in "+" cyl form.

Barry

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    IMO, it has pretty much everything to do with who buys the equipment, or what equipment was there to begin with. The autorefractors may have a neat little button to switch from + to -, but the phoropters rarely do :)

I doubt there are any ODs who feel more *special* because they write a prescription in +cyl.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The answer is really simple, Jack Copeland taught refraction at most medical schools. Jack thought +cylinder was better. Of course he also thought myopes were geneticly inferior to hyperopes.
    He carried a retinasocpe (skiascope) with him at all times (copeland streak) and married a hyperoptic woman to avoid having myoptic children.
    You guessed it, he had myoptic daughters.
    Chip
    On a related vien, Archie Manning married a tall woman so he would have tall sons, that worked.
    G. Gordon Liddy married a mathmatics prodigy to have intelligent children, that supposedly worked at least in his view.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have an opthalmologist nearby that works in - cyl. He is the only one near us. Is this rare or very rare?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    The answer is really simple, Jack Copeland taught refraction at most medical schools. Jack thought +cylinder was better. Of course he also thought myopes were geneticly inferior to hyperopes.
    He carried a retinasocpe (skiascope) with him at all times (copeland streak) and married a hyperoptic woman to avoid having myoptic children.
    You guessed it, he had myoptic daughters.
    Chip
    On a related vien, Archie Manning married a tall woman so he would have tall sons, that worked.
    G. Gordon Liddy married a mathmatics prodigy to have intelligent children, that supposedly worked at least in his view.
    Thanks Chip, can I call you Cliff Clavin?:D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It's all transposed by the lab anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    wait till you make, or have to make wrap transpositions regularly..

You will HATE plus cyl...

B
    I don't understand the problem, since all our Rx's are written in plus cylinder and the wrap comp is written in minus . So, transpose the Orig Rx and read it the way your lab has compensated for the wrap. It's only about 1/12 of a diopter, anyway for most Rx's.

Thread Information