Thread: Vision Insurance Companies

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Vision Insurance Companies

Ok folks, another newbie to the canadian industry question.

What type of Vision Plans are there here in Canada that allow Opticians to join?

IF you have a link (url) to them that would be great.

THANKS MUCHO:cheers:
    Last edited by Snitgirl; 06-02-2007 at 01:36 AM. Reason: type o

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

time of vision plan

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Ok folks, another newbie to the canadian industry question.

What time of Vision Plans are there here in Canada that allow Opticians to join?

IF you have a link (url) to them that would be great.

THANKS MUCHO:cheers:
    In Canada an optician can join any vision plan but, only between the hours of 12 midnight and 4:30 am

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Thanks Gary, appreciate it.. I went back and fixed the type o.:hammer:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    In Canada an optician can join any vision plan but, only between the hours of 12 midnight and 4:30 am

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Greenshield , and Sun Life come to mind

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And Great West Life, some Maritime Life plans also permit third party billing.

Now, we had a most unfortunate situation recently where the client was advised he has, like, $1000.00 every two years for optical purchases. We didn't believe him, so my employer called the benefit provider himself and was told the exact same figure. Client, of course, orders far more costly glasses than he'd anticipated having the ability to order.

Well, a month or so goes by after I submitted the claim complete with the requesite 'Assignment of Benefits' form completed by the client, and the claim for assigning benefit entitlement directly to us, and I call to investigate where our $600. is for his eyewear purchase. Bet you know what happens next: " I'm sorry Mrs. Koszegi but your client certainly does not have $1000. coverage. We have already remitted his $100.00 limit direcrly to him. You received incorrect information from our office and though we know which employee here told you this, there was nothing in writing to you so we are not going to pay you anything."

Client is now making monthly payments to us.

Moral of this story-- before entering into third party billings, get their entitlement in writing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Thank You Cindy for insurance names and the great advice..

Looking forward to your seminar tomorrow. My husband and I changed our baby schedule so I can make the 8am time vs the original 9am. I shall wait for the e mail that I am suppose to get..
    :cheers:
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
    And Great West Life, some Maritime Life plans also permit third party billing.

Now, we had a most unfortunate situation recently where the client was advised he has, like, $1000.00 every two years for optical purchases. We didn't believe him, so my employer called the benefit provider himself and was told the exact same figure. Client, of course, orders far more costly glasses than he'd anticipated having the ability to order.

Well, a month or so goes by after I submitted the claim complete with the requesite 'Assignment of Benefits' form completed by the client, and the claim for assigning benefit entitlement directly to us, and I call to investigate where our $600. is for his eyewear purchase. Bet you know what happens next: " I'm sorry Mrs. Koszegi but your client certainly does not have $1000. coverage. We have already remitted his $100.00 limit direcrly to him. You received incorrect information from our office and though we know which employee here told you this, there was nothing in writing to you so we are not going to pay you anything."

Client is now making monthly payments to us.

Moral of this story-- before entering into third party billings, get their entitlement in writing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Looking forward to your seminar tomorrow. My husband and I changed our baby schedule so I can make the 8am time vs the original 9am. I shall wait for the e mail that I am suppose to get..
    :cheers:
    Michelle
    Michelle I hope you check your email this morning! I had a most unfortunate thing happen, that my Outlook failed on Friday morning, and I just got up to get prepped for this morning's event to find a message pop up when I opened my Outlook. 'You have unsent items in your Outbox. Would you like to send them now?'. O M G!!!!! I'm soooooo sorry you didn't get your email until this morning! I had no way of knowing this as I haven't been at home the last couple days. But its sent now (twice, you'll see; once the original message and twice with my explanation of tardiness).

See you online at 8am!

Cindy

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Group Insurances...........................

For your information, in Canada it is the Group Insurances that cover the extras that the mediacal system does not provide.

Many conpanies have them as extra benefit. They pay for dentist's, medication. and often also glasses. Each plan can be different from others. My company group plan for example covers the dentist 100% up to $ 1000.00m per year. Pays a $ 100.00 toward glasses and cover medication 100%.

When selling glasses in Canada the patient most of the time will ask for a receipt for the insurance and then collect from them. The customer pays the optician and then collects from the insurance. Dont spoil them anf offer direct billing.............bad idea............you are going to run into same problems as they have in the US.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

Thank you for the information and tip Chris, appreciate it.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    For your information, in Canada it is the Group Insurances that cover the extras that the mediacal system does not provide.

Many conpanies have them as extra benefit. They pay for dentist's, medication. and often also glasses. Each plan can be different from others. My company group plan for example covers the dentist 100% up to $ 1000.00m per year. Pays a $ 100.00 toward glasses and cover medication 100%.

When selling glasses in Canada the patient most of the time will ask for a receipt for the insurance and then collect from them. The customer pays the optician and then collects from the insurance. Dont spoil them anf offer direct billing.............bad idea............you are going to run into same problems as they have in the US.

Thread Information