Thread: Npi

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Npi

Hello all

I was pretty sure I had the NPI thing down, and then suddenly the May copy of Optometric Management confused me(and with the last few days I had I need no additional confusion).

In the "Billing"section there is a blurb about having an NPi for your clinic. I was under the impression that each provider had an individual number, and that the "clinic"didn't need one. the blurb says that each billing entity must have one too. Am I and my doctor just having dork moments, or do we really need to have a clinic NPI.

I did check cms and there wasn't a clear or consise answer.

Please help

Christina

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I went through this same coversation last week.

What I got out of it was that there needs to be individual NPI's and a group NPI.

In the case of my office, we have 2 OD's, each with their own NPI. We also have a group/organization NPI, same info as owner's NPI, just with a group designation.

The info I got on it was that they are necessary if the payer requires it. So say you work with a local hmo as their provider they may require a group NPI if there are multiple Dr.s in the office.

Best thing to do is just set up a group NPI and have it available if it is requested. Think it took me all of 10 minutes to get it set up.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you are using a tax id rather then your social security number you will also need a differednt NPI. I agree it just takes minutes online. My question is do i need to contact VSP and give them my new NPI? They have my individual one.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    good question. Not sure on that one.

I just started an LLC and needed a new one. I got the email with my new number the next day. Any idea how long it takes to get the actual letter from them?

Here's to hoping the NPI is easier than whats been done in the past.

Thread Information