Thread: Life Rx and polarized poly splitting

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Life Rx and polarized poly splitting

Anyone else having problems with "laminate" poly lenses splitting/delaminating in grooved rimless frames?

We've had a lot of that trouble lately with both polarized and life Rx in grooved poly. We now won't do poly rimless in those options.

Anyone know when Transitions FT poly is supposed to come out?

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always been told that you shouldn't use laminated lenses, ie: polorized, in a grooved rimless for obvious reasons.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I have always been told that you shouldn't use laminated lenses, ie: polorized, in a grooved rimless for obvious reasons.
    Ditto here. And the ones I've seen had the groove set way back to avoid any contact with the laminate area

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    you can use trivex ft28 trans for now. The LifeRx manufacturers are aware of the problem and working on it....we have noticed it is happening much less in the more recent batches we have received.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd, I've been wearing a pair of polarized progressives in a grooved rimless frame for almost 3 years, with no problem at all. Perhaps the placement of the groove is questionable?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many moons ago I had a problem with polarised lenses de-lanimating because I was dumb enough to leave them on my boat (the idea was I wouldn't forget them when I went fishing). Could this be the problem, moisture absorbing in between the lanimates?

Chip

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The elements do work on polorized and all lens. How many problems have been attributed to people leaving lenses in a hot car. Best just stay away from groove frames in polorized or risk having to deal with a problem. I had a grooved pair split non my glasses once. Now they are the only sunglasses I have that aren't polorized.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :drop:yes i have seen this happen twice in a year and a half the first pair was in a rimless and you could actually see the film seperating from the lens. the second time was in a full frame it was just ugly it happened after the patient had their lenses for a year and it looked as if a solvent had spilled over the lenses oh it was just ugly. although I currently wear the lens and have had no problems with it in my semi rimless frame I have had them for about six months and no their is no yellowing of the lens. When our practice called vision ease they said it happens in 1 percent of the lenses.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aside from the splitting, I notice the LifeRx lenses do not get as dark as Transitions. I started using Trivex Transitions but I found that they did not get as clear indoors, nor is Trivex (or LifeRx for that matter) compatible with Crizal coatings according to my lab. I have done a mid-index FT-28 Transitions before in a drill-mount and it's worked out fine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is a recent discussion on the delamination issues:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...hlight=life+rx

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by momma_g View Post
    :drop:yes i have seen this happen twice in a year and a half the first pair was in a rimless and you could actually see the film seperating from the lens. the second time was in a full frame it was just ugly it happened after the patient had their lenses for a year and it looked as if a solvent had spilled over the lenses oh it was just ugly. although I currently wear the lens and have had no problems with it in my semi rimless frame I have had them for about six months and no their is no yellowing of the lens. When our practice called vision ease they said it happens in 1 percent of the lenses.
    Welcome to the BESTEST board on the Web momma_g:cheers:
    Fezz must be asleep at the switch to have missed your first post. Remember if you make a mistake or get in trouble, just blame it on him:p

Regarding the thread and at the risk of jinxing myself I can't remember the last grooved polarized poly from Younger I've had separate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Fezz must be asleep at the switch to have missed your first post. Remember if you make a mistake or get in trouble, just blame it on him:p

Thanks for covering for me Fester. I was out back on the FezzJohns, Inc. BeerSlide, and lost all track of time!

;):cheers:;):cheers:;)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Delamination of lenses............................

Actually grooving a lens on the lamination line and then pulling a nylon thread ariund it that has a few pounds of pressure...........................is like inserting a screwdriver blade in the same place and continously rocking it.

You are creating material fatique of the glued part and it is just normal to delaminate. At least make the groove to the side, for or back of the lamination line.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Since their launch in 2005 LifeRx lenses have been extremely successful in the marketplace and we are pleased with their performance. As with many new products, we have found ways in which we would have wanted them to perform better. One of those is when the lenses are exposed to more extreme conditions with respect to temperature and humidity the top layer can start to separate. This was more prevalent in the earliest lots of our production as we were still learning of the issue. We have since made considerable improvements in the materials and manufacture of the lenses and have greatly reduced the potential for this type of defect. Returns for this issue have been fewerthan 1 in 4,000 lenses sold. Review of the returned lenses show there is no higher incident rate with grooved frame mounts.
    As a further point of clarification, the issue with lens separation is not seen with SunRx polarized lenses. Vision-Ease Lens has manufactured polycarbonate polarized lenses for over 10 years and has not experiences any returns for lens delamination. Our patented manufacturing process has been proven to deliver a superior product in terms of optics, color consistency and durability. In order to guarantee you receive the highest quality polarized lens without a risk of separation, ask for SunRx by name.
    If you still have questions or doubts about LifeRx photochromic lenses or SunRx polarized lenses we encourage you to contact Vision-Ease Lens. We would like you to judge these lenses for yourself. Contact a Vision-Ease Lens Sales Representative at 800-328-3449 to learn more and to receive a voucher for a free trial.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Grooving polarized lenses

If its grooved in the right place you'll never have a problem with it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Regarding the thread and at the risk of jinxing myself I can't remember the last grooved polarized poly from Younger I've had separate.[/quote]

Ditto. However I have had approximately 40% of my "generic" polarized lenses delaminate, even in a zyl frame. One within 24 hrs!

NuPolar is pretty good stuff. I don't have any bad experiences w/ LifeRx, but I haven't used lots of it.

Thread Information