Thread: Tinting Article in OptiBoard File Directory

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Just a quick note to let everyone know that the good folks at Essilor have provided OptiBoard with a very comprehensive article discussing all aspects of lens tinting procedures and trouble-shooting. Here's the URL for the file directory:

OptiBoard File Directory

This file is in Microsoft Word 6.0 format. Enjoy!

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

That was a really good article on tint trouble shooting, but I have a couple of other questions that were not addressed. We used to use Phantom UV and it worked great, but this stuff that they are sending us now will not UV pass -6 on the UV meter. No matter how long I leave it in the UV. I can sometimes get it to -5 after quite a long amount of time which I know can not be good for the lens. This UV has no brand name it just says WM UV dye on the bottle. We were told that it is the same thing. It can't possibly be! It doesn't look the same or even smell the same, and it sure doesn't work the same. Also, how often should the tinting unit be changed? I usually do it every 2 weeks as long as the tints haven't infiltrated eachother. Is this enough or too much? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I never totally believe anyone at work :)
    Thanks!
    Steph

Occupation

Steph,

I definitely sounds like someone swithced the UV dyd on you. I don't know what to recommend other than you talk to your supplier about the problem you're having.

Personally, as a Thin Film guy myself, I'm not a big fan of UV dyes. A couple of years ago we ran a comprehensive study of seven top UV dyes and found that they all hurt the performance of A/R coatings.

I know you don't have a lot of flexibility in your work environment, but when possible I strongly urge you to use UV-blocking lenses materials rather than UV dyes - particularly if the lenses are going to be A/R coated.

Good luck!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Steph,
    I agree with Steve completely on UV treating. We do a large amount of AR and it causes adhesion problems. I also do not like it because I feel it is a rip-off. I know I will get flack on this but do your research.
    Great article from Corning 11/89 HOW GOOD IS YOUR UV METER? Sola also did an article somewhat similar about 5 years ago.
    The OLA in their book Spectral Transmissions of Lens Materials is also a good referance.
    After the Corning article I took a lens with no UV treatment on it and tinted it a Gray 3 and placed it under the UV Meter, guess what it had 100% UV protection because most UV meters read not only UV light but also visible light. Basically the UV Meters are intended for one purpose to sell the UV treatment manufactured by the makers of the UV Meters.
    According to the articles published on studies conducted using acurate measurement instruments all CR-39 blocks 100% UVB and 90% UVA.
    Do the math and you'll see how much total UV is blocked out.
    Anyway the UV dye could be defective, the light on the UV meter could need replacing. Try checking a lens that you know has 100% protection and see what the reading is. Check a lens you have treated at another location. Once you determine that it is the UV solution and not the Meter send the snake oil back to the snake oil salesman

Jerry

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I know it is definately not the uv meter because I actually thought of that. I had a one bottle stash still left of the Phantom UV and after only a few minutes it was reading properly. So, what you guys are both saying is you don't think uv is advantageous? How very interesting! I also found it interesting about Jerry's grey 3. I am going to have to try that one for myself (not because I don't believe you I just want to see it for myself)So would you guys actually recommend using a high index lens or poly which already contain uv instead of uv treating? Sorry for all the questions, I just have learned something incredibly new! I am on vacation this week soooo all of my experiments will have to hold on til I get back :) :) :)
    See you later and thanks for the info.
    Steph"on my way to Biloxi"D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Steph,
    I like your answer about checking out the Gray 3. Unfortunately there are so many myths in our industry that are developed simply because someone believes what they are told supposedly by someone who knows more. Always question it and check it out for yourself. Also never be afraid to be wrong or to fail as we gain most of our knowledge through our failures.
    Good examole we would be using CR-1 instead of CR-39.
    Luck to you,

Jerry

Occupation

Originally posted by stephanie:
    So, what you guys are both saying is you don't think uv is advantageous?
    Steph"on my way to Biloxi"D
    I'm not sure if I'd agree with that. The point I was making is that UV dyes can damage hard coatings and cause adhesion problems with AR. Therefore if UV is desired, the best solution is to choose a lens material that inherently blocks UV.

As for whether UV-blocking really provides protection for our eyes - I think that would be an interesting message thread if someone would like to tackle it.

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

Thread Information