Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homework for office staff???

Occupation
    Optometrist

Homework for office staff???

Just wondering what you guys think of this idea... how you would present it, and how you would enforce it?

My office is relatively new... approx operating for 5 months now. I've trained my staff the basics in terms of frame adjustment, frame selection, and billing. They're good staff, very personable, and very responsible people. One girl had no optical background and one girl I stole from a corporate office (b/c of her great selling ability).

What I would like to do is have each girl read an optical periodical each month and we would have an office meeting each month to discuss what we read. This way, we learn from each other and stay up to date with the newest develops in the optical world. Periodicals like 20/20, Eyecare Business, and Vision Care Product news.

I was wondering how many of you work for an optometrist that has asked you to read these things outside of work (at home)? How do you feel about being asked to do so? Do you think its fair for the doctor to ask you? Was it successful?

I ask this because I used to work for an ophthalmologist who asked his OD's to read ophthalmology journals each month and write a one page summary of an article in the journal. I hated it and thought it was unfair for him to ask me to do so in my spare time. I don't want to be that kind of boss. I really want to stress teamwork in my office. However, I also want my girls to develop as well.

Thanks for your time and comments.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    Just wondering what you guys think of this idea...
    I've ripped various CE articles out of the aforementioned periodicals and given them to my staff to work on when we were slow. The feedback I received was that it was helpful. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking them to work on those things on their time or without some sort of compensation.

On the other hand: Early in my career I was a salaried employee of an ophthalmologist. I was never assigned journals to read, however, I would have done it willingly. I probably would have respected him for helping to keep me up on new developments.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Words, there only wordss.....

However, I also want my girls to develop as well.

You mean "MY STAFF to develop as well.". ;)

I wouldn't want a sexual harassment suit to undermine your education efforts.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 05-14-2007 at 08:17 AM.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

I agree with 1968 . . . .

If you asked me to do it during slow times I would probably do it. If you asked me to do it on my own time I probably wouldn't do it. I bet there is more than a little difference between what the OMD was paying you and what you are paying them.

Good luck to you!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not enroll them all in the Career Progression Program offered through NAO? What a nice benefit to offer your staff.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

GREAT IDEA! you might even sweeten the pot by offering 1 hour of pay to your staff for doing this. It wont break the bank and it will make the feel better about having to read the article. BTW dont forget Opticourier, they have some very good articles. Let us know how it comes out.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just wondering what you guys think of this idea... how you would present it, and how you would enforce it?

My office is relatively new... approx operating for 5 months now. I've trained my staff the basics in terms of frame adjustment, frame selection, and billing. They're good staff, very personable, and very responsible people. One girl had no optical background and one girl I stole from a corporate office (b/c of her great selling ability).

What I would like to do is have each girl read an optical periodical each month and we would have an office meeting each month to discuss what we read. This way, we learn from each other and stay up to date with the newest develops in the optical world. Periodicals like 20/20, Eyecare Business, and Vision Care Product news.

I was wondering how many of you work for an optometrist that has asked you to read these things outside of work (at home)? How do you feel about being asked to do so? Do you think its fair for the doctor to ask you? Was it successful?

I ask this because I used to work for an ophthalmologist who asked his OD's to read ophthalmology journals each month and write a one page summary of an article in the journal. I hated it and thought it was unfair for him to ask me to do so in my spare time. I don't want to be that kind of boss. I really want to stress teamwork in my office. However, I also want my girls to develop as well.

Thanks for your time and comments.

If it were me, I would allot time at work for study. If not, I would pay them for the time spent on it. Most people have families and our time with them is invaluable. I am all about continuing education and always willing to learn, but not willing to sacrifice my family for it. I want every minute of my free time for them because they won't stop growing for my convenience!!LOL! I think asking people to do things for work on their free time is a bit too much to ask.

I think setting aside specific time (with no distraction) for each employee would generate the best results.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoptician View Post
    If it were me, I would allot time at work for study. If not, I would pay them for the time spent on it. Most people have families and our time with them is invaluable. I am all about continuing education and always willing to learn, but not willing to sacrifice my family for it. I want every minute of my free time for them because they won't stop growing for my convenience!!LOL! I think asking people to do things for work on their free time is a bit too much to ask.

I think setting aside specific time (with no distraction) for each employee would generate the best results.
    This is a great point. I also believe the law may come into play here. Hourly employees must be paid for the time they work. If they are required to do something at home then you are probably required to pay them for the time it takes them. I like the idea of having it required but done during slow times at the office.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    You could also allow s few hours comp time to those who complete the work assignment. It is a bonus to get to leave a few hours early. This way, those who participate get the reward. Those who choose not to don't get any comp time, but also don't feel pressure to do something they really may not have time to do. It leave the decision up to the individual so you don't get in trouble for assigning work that they won't be paid for.

With today's ever changing market, it is imperative that staff remains up to date in order for your patients to get the best service available. Weekly or monthly meetings can help in this area as well. I think the most important thing you should do is encourage your staff to work toward certification and to reimburse for CE's that they will need to maintain certification. Exam fees should also be reimbursed upon passing the exam.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I believe the premise of your idea is wonderful but requiring participation on their own free time will cause non-compliance or ill feelings. Everyone appreciates being rewarded-either with pay or time off. I believe a big mistake employers make is not allowing their employees to earn paid time off to use as the employee needs arise.
    Don't forget Eyecare Business magazine, lens representatives, lab representatives and frame representatives that can help with training and knowledge.
    I would caution you to have an office policy regarding spiffs from manufactures and make sure the staff and the representatives know your policy.This will prevent any secret negotiations between reps and staff which I personally find quite dis-tasteful.
    Florida Optician;)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know about you, but the last few decades I have been having enough trouble finding people that will work while they are in the office. Those dedicated souls that want knowledge of their field of endevour for it's own sake, willing to study and learn are getting very few and far between.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Novices run the show............................

My office is relatively new... approx operating for 5 months now. I've trained my staff the basics in terms of frame adjustment, frame selection, and billing. They're good staff, very personable, and very responsible people.
    You hired two complete newcomers to this field. One has good sales qualities and thats it.

Optometrist's in general are not the best practical opticians, because their schooling does not really cover it in depth.

You would have done much better for the sake of your new office to hire at least one qual;ified and seasoned optician or an employee from a competitors office.

Reading magazines will give nobody the practical expierience that is needed to deal with consumers buying glasses, adjusting them, repairing them. People who have worn glasses all their life might have more knowdlege on the subject than your staff can show right now.

If they deliver glasses badly adjusted your patients might not want to come back to your office and go to some optician to have it done and the next time they will see you for the exam and ask for the Rx to go somewhere else.

For a patient there is nothing nicer than to walk out of an optical retail business "feeling good" for the money paid.

One can not gain expirience by just reading, you can only learn. If you want to continue working with two novices in your commercial side of the business hire a retired optician on a part time basis to show them the ropes. Send them to optical shows, conventions and have them attend lectures.

Obviously there is a problem in your office or you would not have made this post in the Optiboard. There is nothing better than having qualified people advising customers.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Optician View Post
    I believe the premise of your idea is wonderful but requiring participation on their own free time will cause non-compliance or ill feelings. Everyone appreciates being rewarded-either with pay or time off. I believe a big mistake employers make is not allowing their employees to earn paid time off to use as the employee needs arise.
    Don't forget Eyecare Business magazine, lens representatives, lab representatives and frame representatives that can help with training and knowledge.
    I would caution you to have an office policy regarding spiffs from manufactures and make sure the staff and the representatives know your policy.This will prevent any secret negotiations between reps and staff which I personally find quite dis-tasteful.
    I totally agree with you on the spiff issue. It is underhanded and dirty. Some opticians are more concerned with padding their pockets than giving a patient the best lens available to suit their patients needs. In my experience, most docs don't even know this is happening. Lens companies who allow this to take place are questionable, in my opinion.
    Last edited by eyepod; 05-14-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add more information

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Good spiffs

I know of a couple of dispensaries that use their spiffs as rewards for weekly or monthly quizzes based on articles from optical pubs. One lunch a month for the office and a quiz ending in a reward might be fun and educational.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the input guys. You guys are awesome.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Staff loves a free lunch. Have those "discussions" over a weekly/monthly lunch you have purchased for them.

Harry

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Optometrist's in general are not the best practical opticians, because their schooling does not really cover it in depth.

Just curious to know where there IS schooling that covers opticianing in depth? How long would it take? Is it something that should be more of an apprenticeship?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Orange:

There are still a few schools of opticianry. They are rapidly disappearing, partially due to opposition by optometry. Partially due to the decline in the opportunities for independent opticians due to dispensing by ophthalmologists. But there are still a few. There are still a good many text and courses that can be used in company with apprenticeship. Also many labs can furnish a lot of training in opticianry, some will allow you to send your employees in as "employee apprentices" where the optician can learn a great deal in a week to a month, especially benchwork which can take quite some time to aquire on the job.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check the National Federation of Opticianry Schools at www.nfos.org

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=DrNeyecare;188838]

First off, I'll say that I do not work for an OD but rather in an independant optical dispensary. For what its worth...
    I have to admit I find it simply amazing that an OD will staff their dispensary with people who have no ophthalmic dispensing experience let alone be properly trained and educated opticians. This is not a criticism against you so please don't take the previous statement out of context; I see this happen over and over and frequently see the results in the dispensary where i work as the OD's patients become our clients due to the other office's inability to problem solve and dispense correctly. As a licensed optician in my province I'm not only required to read optical related material outside of work hours in order to amass the credits I require to retain my license but also to answer a question sheet on the articles, if the CE is one of publication or article format. We also attend (willingly) as many live presentations as possible as we recognise the importance of education and maintaining currency in the industry.

However, I also want my girls to develop as well.
    It has been suggested to me that apparently Canada has superior opticianry training (through several sources and through different mediums) there are also Ophthalmic Assistant and Optometric Assistant courses available which will provide a basic introduction into occular anatomy, physiology, dispensing, and client relations etc.

You may find that if you were to employ registered opticians who already have the training they would be more willing to engage in acquiring continuing education than staff who come to your employ from outside the industry who may be there simply for the white envelope every two weeks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you leave 20/20 etc. in the lunchroom they might pick it up. If there is an interesting article I may clip it and make copies to hand out. If they are truly interested in being an optician, they will read on their own. To ask them to read something at home and quiz them in the morning is not what will endear you to your staff. What will make them eager to learn is criticism with kindness and high praise where it is due. You can't make all of them want to learn and grow. What you can do is be ready when one of them does and eventually weed out the ones who don't.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

opticianry schools in the US

Hello Everyone,

Had to jump in here.

As an optician/educator at NFOS school (Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Florida), I must clarify two points made on this thread...

1. There are more than a few schools (around 25 - 30 total), and we are NOT dying. Some schools and programs have closed, dued to many reasons, and other new programs have opened. Those involved with Internet learning are growing at a very fast rate.

2. While the Canadian schools are excellent, they are comparable to ours...certainly not superior.

: )

Laurie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Hello Everyone,

2. While the Canadian schools are excellent, they are comparable to ours...certainly not superior.

: )

Laurie
    Point noted -- sorry, wrong choice of wording!

Occupation
    Back to the original topic, "homework." It starts out innocently enough, "read a few articles at your leisure” but it often ends up a monster. If the employees don’t mind reading at home perhaps they won’t mind processing a few insurance claims at home over the weekend. What’s next, an edger in the receptionist’s garage? If they will take an inch why not try to give them a mile.

Just put some stuff in the lunch room and suggest that they read it. Just remember to stick to your knitting. You are there to provide optometric services, not educate opticians. You have neither the time, talent or desire to do so.

However, if you want educated employees, hire them. I just cant see any alternative to having employees who are not at least journeymen in their craft, particularly in a new start up.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Why should we assume an optician reading articles is increasing his knowledge base, but an optometrist having someone read articles is because the optometrist doesn't know ***t about optics?

In addition, I think the poster's original comments and reason for posting on here is because of his "desire" to do more than provide "optometric services."

I think, if I had to guess, the poster is ACTUALLY there to run HIS/HER practice. This generally requires a great deal more than just optometric services.

This is the ideal place to ask if you filter out the negative responses.

Thread Information