Thread: ABO Credits...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO Credits...

I have been thinking of getting approved by the ABO for speaking and writing credits. My understanding has been that any course must be very generic and no product endorsements and mentioning is allowed. I have read several CE credits that are approved by the ABO in the trade rags that seem to be nothing more than marketing propaganda. The one that got me irritated was written in the March issue of 20/20. It is titled "Fine-tuned for Perfect Visual Harmony: Accolade and Accolade Freedom" by; Kristie Miller, ABOC, NCLC, Technical Marketing Manager, Essilor of America.

http://www.2020mag.com/CE/TabViewTes...9/Default.aspx

The product is highlighted throughout the entire article! I have seen this blatant marketing in other CE articles, but this one really got my knickers in a knot.

I have copied from the ABO website the criteria for CE.:

Please double check item number 4.

These Criteria for Continuing Education are provided to better insure quality and consistency in educational offerings for ophthalmic dispensers. There are many educational experiences which provide learning and advance the ophthalmic profession; however, only courses which are planned and administered in accordance with the ABO/NCLE Criteria will be accepted for recertification credit.
    Each course must adhere to the following Criteria.
    1. A statement of learning objectives must be developed for each course, describing in general terms what should be learned by the participants.
    2. A detailed outline or course abstract listing specific learning outcomes must be submitted for each course.
    3. The intended audience and content level must be specified.
    4. Course content must be generic in nature and presented in an objective manner.
    5. The course length and method of presentation must be indicated on the course application.
    6. Speakers must be qualified by education or experience to provide quality instruction in the relevant subject area and must be approved by ABO/NCLE for each course they are presenting.
    7. Each attendee will be asked to evaluate the course and speaker.
    Failure to follow these criteria will result in denial of CEC Approval to course sponsors.

Ok, so what gives? Have the rules been bent because it is a HUGE corporation that is behind this? Any helpful insights would be appreciated. I would love to get sponsorships from big multi-corps to write about and promote there product under the guise of continuing education requirements.

:cheers::cheers:

Last edited by Fezz; 05-10-2007 at 06:08 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well, that's interesting, because I've gone to several ABO classes put on by various vendors about their lens products (usually progressives but have included others- sun options- drivewear and melanin)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been to simlar classes. They do revolve around the product at hand and seem to mention said product often, but generally I found that they were a little more objective. This piece seems like a direct marketing effort.

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here in NY we had a case where a speaker came in and we had an hour lecture on a brand lens.What the speaker didn't know was we had several NY Board members in the meeting. We were informed at the end of the session, that the CE credit would NOT be honored and the speaker was not invited back.
    :finger:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Fezz,

The answer is as follows:

Mark Shupnik (CE Guru for Jobson) "Proprietary means that the CE is a product specific CE where there is intellectual property or patents that covers a new invention. When this is true, ABO will approve a course for 2 years until which time the CE must be rewritten to be non-commercial and re-approved by the ABO. "

I did the peer review for this article and had the exact same question that you had. This CE falls in this category and will be rewritten in 2 years to generic in basis.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lee,

Thanks for the input! I appreciate the insight and clarification.

Sorry I missed your call yesterday, short staffed this week. Talk to you next week!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thread Information