Thread: Post ABO/NCLE review in Tampa

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down Post ABO/NCLE review in Tampa

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my ABO/NCLE rewiew experience with you!

I sat for the ABO and the NCLE review over the weekend, Held by the Professional Opticians of Florida, at the West Coast Better Vision Conferece, in Tampa.
    Joe Simmons did the ABO review.. He was excellent, anything i did not know going into the room, i knew on the way out. It was WELL worth the money, and the travel expenses. I would love to have him again for the State Board Review. He sent us out with test tips, and i am fully confident i will pass the test.

Now, for the NCLE review.. This was another story...

Ufortunately it was NOT worth the money.
    The instructor.. Jane Buckland, i think..... did not have any idea what class she was teaching. It was the most dissapointing day. We found out half way through the 6 hour class, she thought we were a class full of Lic. Opticians. She asked us several times, who was licensed and also if were were going to get our NCLE Fellow. She mentioned several times, that we were there for our CE hours. She obliously though she was teaching the Advanced certification NCLE class. We all walked out with the most confused looks on our faces. Along with several other, i will call the POF tomorrow to complain. This is so dissapointing, i really needed the review since i am taking the test in less than 2 weeks. (I just wanted to clarify... Jane was extreamly
    qualified, and knew more than i would EVER wat to know about fitting contact lenses. I honestly think she didn't not know she had a room full of people who were perparing for the NCLE, and not there for there CE hours)

Hopefully i can get some answers from the POF on what exactly happened. I wasted too much money on hotels, fee's and GAS to not learn what i needed to!:angry:

Thanks to Joe Simmons, you ROCK!! Hope to see you for the State Board review!!

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Bummer you had to experience that after the $$ spent. I had a bad experience once (as a matter of fact it was the NCLE Review in Vegas) and the person that was giving the seminar said at the beginning..

"okay folks, I am just going to read through the material quickly and this seminar is going to be 1/2 the time since I have a plane to catch. Hold questions to the end and I will only have time for just a couple"

The whole room was upset and the place was packed...You should've heard the stuff coming out of everyones mouth during our 3 minute break...

I was upset too but during that pee break I was walking down the hall and saw Sir Michael Di Santo!!! I was going to stop him and ask for his autograph and compliment him on his great tie....but man I had to pee...:p Seeing him cheered me up cause I've attended a few of his seminars in San Diego and he wouldn't do a thing like the speaker I had to deal with at the time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Feel Your Pain

I had a similar experience at Vision Expo East a good many years ago. I went to take the Master's Exam Review Course.

IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

The instructor(most would know the name) was great. The attending IDIOTS, had zero clue as to what they had signed up for. These morons were having trouble with there ABC's, let alone Vogels Rule. The idiots stopped the lecture non-stop with absurd questions, like, "How do you tint a lens?", " Is there really such a thing called a lens stretcher?", and "Who is Prentice?"! What a bunch of JERKS...UGH!!!!!!!

It was one of the biggest wastes of my time and money. I wrote the speaker afterward and stated my case. He wrote back and was very sorry. He felt terrible. He admitted that the class was out of there minds, unprepared, sucky, and out of there league. He sent me an overview of the course that he uses to teach it and a bunch of Master's questions to help ease my anger.

So, it happens. I am sorry that it happened to you. Don't let it get you down. I am sending a few your way....you need them!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 05-08-2007 at 03:38 PM. Reason: clarification

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Just to give an update...

Today i called Mark at the POF, and he stated that he had several complaints. He apologized, and assured me their standards of education are much higher. He aslo stated, several poeple complained about the class. He offered me my money back, and also said they were working quickly to try and get aother review put together ASAP. I hope they can, i'm taking the test in 12 days! I would MUCH rather have the correct review, than to just simply get my money back!

I HOPE the review is in Orlando this time!! I spent eough money traveling to Tampa for the 3 days! Cross your fingers for me!

Thanks for all of your support!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The POF is an awesome organization from what I know, I have no doubt n my mind that they will try and take care of you good luck.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DRAINGE1 View Post
    Just to give an update...

Today i called Mark at the POF, and he stated that he had several complaints. He apologized, and assured me their standards of education are much higher. He aslo stated, several poeple complained about the class. He offered me my money back, and also said they were working quickly to try and get aother review put together ASAP. I hope they can, i'm taking the test in 12 days! I would MUCH rather have the correct review, than to just simply get my money back!

I HOPE the review is in Orlando this time!! I spent eough money traveling to Tampa for the 3 days! Cross your fingers for me!

Thanks for all of your support!
    Just be glad there is a review within your reach....Im also taking the test this month in 11 days and there arent any reviews in my area. If they do get one together let me know so I can get the scoop!
    Sharon:hammer:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DRAINGE1 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my ABO/NCLE rewiew experience with you!

I sat for the ABO and the NCLE review over the weekend, Held by the Professional Opticians of Florida, at the West Coast Better Vision Conferece, in Tampa.
    Joe Simmons did the ABO review.. He was excellent, anything i did not know going into the room, i knew on the way out. It was WELL worth the money, and the travel expenses. I would love to have him again for the State Board Review. He sent us out with test tips, and i am fully confident i will pass the test.

Now, for the NCLE review.. This was another story...

Ufortunately it was NOT worth the money.
    The instructor.. Jane Buckland, i think..... did not have any idea what class she was teaching. It was the most dissapointing day. We found out half way through the 6 hour class, she thought we were a class full of Lic. Opticians. She asked us several times, who was licensed and also if were were going to get our NCLE Fellow. She mentioned several times, that we were there for our CE hours. She obliously though she was teaching the Advanced certification NCLE class. We all walked out with the most confused looks on our faces. Along with several other, i will call the POF tomorrow to complain. This is so dissapointing, i really needed the review since i am taking the test in less than 2 weeks. (I just wanted to clarify... Jane was extreamly
    qualified, and knew more than i would EVER wat to know about fitting contact lenses. I honestly think she didn't not know she had a room full of people who were perparing for the NCLE, and not there for there CE hours)

Hopefully i can get some answers from the POF on what exactly happened. I wasted too much money on hotels, fee's and GAS to not learn what i needed to!:angry:

Thanks to Joe Simmons, you ROCK!! Hope to see you for the State Board review!!
    Hello Everyone,

I've taken my ABO during May 07' in Michigan and unfortunately i'd failed it for a couple points!! I missed the Fit/Dispense Spectacles.. portion. Can anyone please help me?? Becauz i'm planning on taking the ABO/NCLE on this November. Anyone has any good review questions or anything?? Please contact me.. rehana_aji2004@yahoo.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quantum optical

Online reviews available for ABO and NCLE on www.quantumoptical.com.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    try the www.nao.org they have lots of study material. Say no to www.quantumoptical.com
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yes to both

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    try the www.nao.org they have lots of study material. Say no to www.quantumoptical.com
    Come on Harry, you're better than that.

The NAO has great study materials and I lecture for them as well as do live ABO and NCLE reviews for them. I also feel that the courses on Quantum are good. Your personal issues have no place with regard to the quality of education provided on the website. Please don't turn this into something unprofessional.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Quantum

I have to say, that i passed both the ABO and NCLE. I took both the same day, and scored well.

ABO- took the Joe Simmons review. He is really good. Well worth the money.

NCLE- review fell through, so the POF set up the Quantum online review for me. I liked the course, and knew it like the back of my hand when i was done. I passed because of it. But i did notice a lot of errors and typo's. Some of the answers were mistyped. But i got the idea, and i passed. I would reccomend the course still. Diane--- check out the typos!!!:hammer:

Now i just need the Florida State board review for the October test. Does anyone know if Joe Simmons is a member on here?!:bbg:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations on passing your exams!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and information. I will be taking my exams in November of 2007 and will know what to look for beforehand now, thanks to you. :)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all have an exam in November, at the polls.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was speaking specifically about ABO/NCLE Examinations.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the update Diane, glad you figured it out... Because i couldn't remember the specific errors! Overall, it was a great study guide. Now i just have to take the State Board review with Joe.

Thread Information