Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Essilor's new Pal exclusive to Vision Source

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Concerning the Essilor-is-not-your-friend allegation, I would posit that Essilor has more of an interest in the private practice segment of our market than any other ophthalmic manufacturer producing lenses.
    Really? How is Varilux holding up in the market? What are your own brand reps seeing and saying out there? Hmmmm.....me thinks and knows they are seeing change in Kool-Aid flavors out in the marketplace. Essilor is in it for Essilor. Long Live France my friend and your talk is talk unless you can prove otherwise.
    After all, ophthalmic products and services are the sole source of income for Essilor. By far, the most profitable segment of those products & services is represented by private practice Optometry and Ophthalmology.
    True and Essilor is moving from a fine producer of technology to more of a marketing machine that's being squeezed from all sides to maintain marketshare. The only reason they are buying up labs is to control the distribution of their own product.
    Therefore, Essilor loses money every time a patient decides to leave a private practice to shop at a retailer
    not true, they make it up for all the support and products they provide to the retail chains too. If you're implying that there's no connection between the major retail chains controlled by Lux and the products Essilor pumps out there, I'm not ever going to buy what you're selling in that statement.

which is precisely why Essilor invests more resources into R&D of ophthalmic products, education for the market, and advertising to consumers than any other lens manufacturer.
    I think everyone would agree with that. Essilor is a marketing machine that's for sure. However, the latest round of products are really a stretch to maintain some hype in the marketplace. If Essilor were truly that innovative and had such a strong management team, they would hardly be turning over reps on the brand side and lab side like they are. I'm sorry, but when your own people are bailing on you, it's a pretty clear testament that something on the home front isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    There is not a lens vendor in the world that does not sell to retail in some way, shape or form.
    Essilor clearly manufactures and targets retail WAY more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Regarding the consolidation of the laboratory business, it should probably be noted that the US market is sort of "odd." In most markets, the laboratories are owned primarily by manufacturers. In fact, that was also the case in the US- until AO and B&L lab networks were divided up (which gave rise to a number of the independent laboratories currently out there).

Essilor has a new division I really like- Partner Laboratories. Essilor purchases an interest in the laboratory- but the laboratory owner retains an interest as well. The result is the laboratory receives access to Essilor resources and efficiencies, which provides ECPs with the type and feel of the services to which they are accustomed. Most of the laboratories being added to the Essilor network are now partner laboratories.
    The consolidation is Essilor push to control distribution of their own product as without the labs they would truly be suffering. They aren't providing any real resources or efficiencies, they are telling the "partner" owners that they buy out on contract to sell primarily if not solely Essilor product or you won't get the money paid out. It's a strong arm approach to controlling distribution. If Essilor were truly partners, you'd see them outfitting these "partner" labs with better equipment and operational capability. Instead they often let them die and are simply taking the jobs out of that lab and using them to feed the Essilor owned labs work.
    Essilor is not in competition with the private practice eye care provider (ECP) in any way, shape, or form.
    Really? Should we all start to list out the ways in which Essilor competes? I can't believe you even spilled that drop of Kool-Aid in here.

In fact, given the "push" nature of the eyewear market, Essilor relies on their relationship with the private ECP to recommend and deliver their product- just as the practitioner relies on Essilor and other manufacturers to provide new technologies & products.
    Again, the "push around" nature of Essilor is to control the distribution chain. You're right, Essilor relies on the Private Practice ECP but they are diverting money to their own team first and certainly don't truly support private practice like you lead everyone to believe. Good news is no one buys your story as the truth is way clear. ECP's don't have to rely on your products any more. All too often the designers themselves are providing labs all over their own private label progressive and digital products so no one needs you any more.

Varilux Comfort continues to outperform "new" competitive designs), I suppose I would look to buy a new version of the same model!
    Again, you words, but I'll gladly do so and have put your Varilux products up against others out there and show you it DOES NOT perform nearly as well. Consumers say so and I can prove it with the conversion I've made in our own offices. The adaption and satisfaction rate against some of the other products out there is startlingly clear. Again, think three letters and their new product. It's awesome.

Fourteen years after launch, Varilux Comfort is still the world's most prescribed PALs. Its not the marketing (our marketing folks are good, but they're not that good). When Varilux Comfort launched, Essilor was NOT the world's largest supplier of PALs- by far. Varilux Comfort gained market share simply because it has a patented design which out-performs other PAL designs. ECPs who were used to 10-20% non-adapts started fitting Varilux Comfort and realized it was simply a better design.
    Sure....let's see how your market share fairs this year with the introduction of new products from the others. Let's see how the market responds. The writing is already on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by ayoco View Post
    don't care if essilor owns stores or not or in usa yet or not but what is connection to;
    Essilor OY in Finland, www.essilor.fi or Essilor AB Sweden, www.essilor.se
    ^^ This and many others.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You're arguing with a 5 year old post?
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Slow day...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    You're arguing with a 5 year old post?
    Ha! Guess I should have read the dates. Was posting from a tablet so I struggled enough.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As the saying goes..........that's sort of removing all doubt! At least he's showing us all the Giant Killers are not asleep!

This thread is essentially about marketing (my minor in B school) Why does everyone get so upset when someone else does a better job of marketing than we do. Be happy for them,,,,, and it's OK to BORROW from them too! Maybe we WILL get better someday.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information