Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing surpasses basketball as No. 1 for eye injuries

Fishing surpasses basketball as No. 1 for eye injuries

Eye injuries from fishing -- a treble hook lodged in the eye or a sinker hitting the eye -- have surpassed eye injuries from basketball as the No. 1 sports-related eye injury.

By Mike Bolton, Newhouse News Service
    Last update: April 24, 2007 – 5:27 PM

Fishing is the number one participant sport in the US, and the world for that matter. However, I have only made 3 artificial eyes that are the result of fishing injuries (out of 10,000 or more).
    None of them were wearing glasses and some were hit by fishing weight after pulling loose from a snag. Only one of them gave up fishing, and he is qenuinely insane (not because of giving up fishing.)

Chip:cheers:

Comment

painful

Only thing I can say is painful. Ouch

Comment

I remember fly-fishing with my dad and he unfortunately had a fly "pierce" his eyebrow. Was not a pleasant situation for him, but fortunately it did get his eye. Looking back, I think I can say he was a pioneer in the body modification field, unknown to him.
        "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Comment

Comment

My dear departed friend, Dr. Samuel B. Johnson once told me of a friend of ours who got a fish hook in the anterior chamber as shown in this video while fishing in Vicksburg (about 35 miles away), loaded his boat and drove himself to Dr. Johnson's office. Neither of us could understand how he stood the pain. He was a MAN!

Comment

Ouch!!

Comment

More-
                Click image for larger version

Name:	fishhook1.bmp
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	864771

Click image for larger version

Name:	fishhook2.bmp
Views:	1