Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite frame lines

Occupation
    Optometrist

Favorite frame lines

I'm looking to restock my frame boards.

I have found my favorite frames for women's. Really easy. At each price range and each purpose, ie SV, BF, Prog, Sun.

However, men's frames are alittle harder. Just wanted to get your input on what your favorite frame lines are for the categories below. This will help me significantly save time from seeing frame reps.

12-18 year old male students
    18-35 year old male students/young professionals
    40+ year old men fashion (wholesale $XX+) progressives (like Carerra)
    40+ year old men fashion (wholesale $XX+) SV/BIF (like BCBG)
    40+ year old men sturdy strong "practical" frames for men wholesale ($XX-XX) (like Sferoflex)
    Last edited by Joann Raytar; 05-05-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: wholesale price

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think we can or should post wholesale prices here.
    I do think you're looking at it backwards, though. Forget wholesale and everything else--first figure out what your male customers want, then fill that need.
    I might live near Harvard or Yale and I'd say students want 200+ dollar retail frames. Or I might live near Compton Community College and give you a totally different answer.
    Also, fashion and progressive-friendly are not mutually exclusive. With 14mm seg lenses like the wonderful Compact Ultra, there's no reason a frame can't fulfill both requirements.
    As a generality, though, I'll try to be helpful and say that men in general buy materials--titanium being number one. I can sell titanium all day to any man over 30. Flex is easy, too.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do well with Cottet Oga and Lightec.
    http://www.morel-cottet.com/content.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post

Ditto
    We have done well with Oga and Lightec, even though I didn't thnks they would take in rural Kansas. I have two myself.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I third Oga. Basically a men's version of Koali...stylish without being too over the top.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post

I just checked out their website. There's only 3-4 frames for each collection. Is that all there is???

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Hi Doc... One really important thing to remember is that you need to also consider what your Opticians want to sell. They need to be enthusiastic over the product otherwise it will just sit and collect dust.

The person selling the eyewear is the one who will make or break the product line that you bring in.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    I just checked out their website. There's only 3-4 frames for each collection. Is that all there is???
    No, there are more.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

SnitGirl is RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Hi Doc... One really important thing to remember is that you need to also consider what your Opticians want to sell. They need to be enthusiastic over the product otherwise it will just sit and collect dust.

The person selling the eyewear is the one who will make or break the product line that you bring in.

This is soooooooooooo true! I try to drive this home to my partner who works with me 2 or 3 days a week. I am constantly telling her when we are frame buying that if you like it...you will sell it. It has proved true 100% of the time. I just emphasis that you must LIKE it. It will gather dust otherwise.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::che ers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Cottet has some cool chit! A must-see.

Tura (YEA, TURA) is a hidden gem in the industry.

Flexon 600/800 series will sell all day and all night, and will rub your sore neck.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Snitgirl is correct. I sold 500 or so of the Charmant 8300 series. However the patients loved them so much they won't part with them. I have some out 15 years old, some I have welded back together repeatedly, some I have made new parts for them. And still the patients won't have anything else. This is not ecconomics they would buy new ones at almost any price if they were still made. Too bad Charmant doesn't care.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Doesn't the finish come off many Charmant frames? Thx.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Haven't paid much attention but I think Charmant finishes are first rate. Of course it do come off when I welds them back together and the patients still love them.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Hi Doc...:)

Out of the frame lines that you currently have, which ones bring in referrals?

I'm looking to restock my frame boards.

I have found my favorite frames for women's. Really easy. At each price range and each purpose, ie SV, BF, Prog, Sun.

However, men's frames are alittle harder. Just wanted to get your input on what your favorite frame lines are for the categories below. This will help me significantly save time from seeing frame reps.

12-18 year old male students
    18-35 year old male students/young professionals
    40+ year old men fashion (wholesale $XX+) progressives (like Carerra)
    40+ year old men fashion (wholesale $XX+) SV/BIF (like BCBG)
    40+ year old men sturdy strong "practical" frames for men wholesale ($XX-XX) (like Sferoflex)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me guess...the ones his customers like?
    This feels like the Twilight Zone sometimes, do you not understand that what sells or "brings referrals" is giving the customer what they want? What the customer wants depends on who your customers are!
    Jesus, I feel bad sometimes for making more money than more qualified opticians, then I see stuff like this and I realize why this is.
    Here's a hint--you don't need to worry about referrals if you're selling 600-dollar pairs of glasses. Let the doctor worry about referrals, they're making the same off every customer.
    "Referral" is a medical word, it's what doctors worry about. "Money" is my word, it's what people selling worry about.
    I understand asking what sells for different people, but the original poster already had in mind how much he/she would pay wholesale apparently with no thought for what the customer wanted.
    Snitgirl, I don't expect my customers to advertise for me. They do, but I don't expect that. Empty their wallets. Make that money. Give every customer the best pair of glasses they ever had. If they come back, great--if not, they'll head to America's Best.
    What frames or even lenses to sell is about who's buying, period. Make as much as you can regardless or stay someone's employee forever.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Snitgirl,

Great question.

One of our best referal lines is Nike, for the (perceived) durability that pts. love to tell their friends about.

The others are any off the wall design that they don't have to talk about, but everyone will ask them where they got it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

At the moment I don't have time to post a reply to this except to your 600 dollar comment.. Dude, 600???? Thats chump change...

P.S. Its obvious to me that you've only been around 1/2 the block in the optical field when it comes to sales... Please, post when you've done many, many miles...Oh wait, I am in Canada.. kilometers...lol...

LOl, don't get me started...:p your post is hilarious!!! thanks for the chuckle..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mitchell View Post
    Let me guess...the ones his customers like?
    This feels like the Twilight Zone sometimes, do you not understand that what sells or "brings referrals" is giving the customer what they want? What the customer wants depends on who your customers are!
    Jesus, I feel bad sometimes for making more money than more qualified opticians, then I see stuff like this and I realize why this is.
    Here's a hint--you don't need to worry about referrals if you're selling 600-dollar pairs of glasses. Let the doctor worry about referrals, they're making the same off every customer.
    "Referral" is a medical word, it's what doctors worry about. "Money" is my word, it's what people selling worry about.
    I understand asking what sells for different people, but the original poster already had in mind how much he/she would pay wholesale apparently with no thought for what the customer wanted.
    Snitgirl, I don't expect my customers to advertise for me. They do, but I don't expect that. Empty their wallets. Make that money. Give every customer the best pair of glasses they ever had. If they come back, great--if not, they'll head to America's Best.
    What frames or even lenses to sell is about who's buying, period. Make as much as you can regardless or stay someone's employee forever.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the moment I don't have time to post a reply to this except to your 600 dollar comment.. Dude, 600???? Thats chump change...
    Oh honey...he must have been talking about the frames only !

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Double post
    Last edited by Snitgirl; 05-08-2007 at 12:29 AM. Reason: double posted ~ to much rumncoke I think

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Oh honey...he must have been talking about the frames only !

Phew...Ok, good.

Johns,

Was there a poll somewhere or a thread showing what qualified Opticians are making vs non qualified? Did I miss something?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Hi Snitgirl,
    For women, my best seller is the BCBG line of frames. For Men, they love the Carerra Flexolites. I would love to get some Nike's, but the Marchon reps are total jerks in my area, so I won't support their stuff.
    I don't have a frame that brings in "referrals." I wish I did.

Just to clarify for the other participants of this discussion, I am asking this question as a way to figure out what frame reps I should see and what frames I should pay special attention to. The wholesale price tag of a frame is not what this topic is about. We all have different price ranges for our frames--low, medium, high. My intent with posting the ranges was to determine what frame lines I should consider for each price range to give my patients the best possible options. So Mr_Mitchell, you are in totally error for obviously misunderstanding my question. I am asking this question in hopes of finding an answer to provide my patients with the best options.

I am new to private optometry. I have only owned this office for 4 months. I hope to learn from everyone on this board. Almost everyone has been very helpful and wise.... of course, there are some rude people too...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Snitgirl, check out my avatar. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will add that there are plenty of "no-name" frame lines that may work in your area and become your favorites.

You also do not need to see sales reps. Many times you can find fantastic frame lines that do not have reps. That way, you may have the upper hand on your competition that sees the same reps (and same merchandise).

Good luck on your search. Just remember, what works in my metropolis may totally flop in your town.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

P.S. Its obvious to me that you've only been around 1/2 the block in the optical field when it comes to sales... Please, post when you've done many, many miles...Oh wait, I am in Canada.. kilometers...lol...

LOl, don't get me started...:p your post is hilarious!!! thanks for the chuckle..
    PLEASE....if you can't be civil in your responses, don't post. It angers me to see one so called professional, verbally abusive to another.This website does not need this type of aggression.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Super cute Doc.. How old is your little one?

Snitgirl, check out my avatar. :)

Thread Information