Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    quit many times--all cold turkey.14 years the longest. this time{3years ago this month} dr. said "no,you do not have cancer" threw them down and not one since BUT want one every day. hardest addiction to stop. good luck hope you make it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    5 days so far so good. I now drink 7-10 bottles of water a day + 5-6 cups (apx 4.5 liters of water and 1/2 liter of coffee) of coffee ad day and eat 1/4 pound of pepermint lifesavers a day. Good thing there supplied by my office. I have replaced ciggarette breaks with bathroom breaks. I have the best breath in NYC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ATTA BOY SCOTT!! You can do it!

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sun flower seeds are good.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quiting

:)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Ive smoked cigarettes for years. Like many I started in highschool. I am sure many of you have gone down the same path. Any advice to help me quit?
    :) I HAVE TRIED SOOOO MANY TIMES AS I STARTED WAY BACK WHEN AND EVERYONE SMOKED ! I STILL CANT QUIT . TRIED THE NEW CHANTIX AND IT MAKES ONE SOOO NASEAS ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY. THE BEST BE WITH YA FELLOW SMOKER !
    :)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

I've tried and "succeeded" many many times for up to 7 years at a time. Even made bets that I could not afford to lose. With fellow smokers that they would fail before I did (Last one called me at 6:00 A.M. to see how I had made it through the night, I lit one when I was answering the phone).
    Yes I paid her.

Lots of luck,

Chip

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I quit January of '93. I was a 2+ pack a day chain smoker, and boy was I good at it! My technique was to cut back to 10 cigs a day and then I went for the cold turkey. I had it all planned out - I also quit the things that made me want to smoke! (but only for the first 5 months - just to get over the cravings!)

I quit caffeine and alcohol. Sex. Certain foods high in salt. Conversations with certain relatives and co-workers. I picked up gum chewing and became a compulsive fidget-er. I chewed on pens.

In May, it was my B-day so I was going to treat myself with just 1 cigarette.

My goodness, that was the WORST tasting cig I ever had. I haven't had a craving since.

In 2001 my mother died of lung cancer. She was a life-long smoker. A real trooper, she smoked 'til the very end - oxygen tanks and grandchildren's lives be damned.

Cancer is a horrible, ugly and mean disease. I don't wish that kind of pain and suffering on anyone.

Good luck - it's a mindset. You can do it!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I quit Sex too, but God had more to do with it than my mindset.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

quiting smoking

Having smoked at a very young age and quit around 40yrs old. I quit by praying for God's help and that was it!. Now a good 8 years plus, I'm still going strong.
    Never doubt the power of prayer and faith.
    Last edited by ShuString; 07-04-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: P.S My Mom died of lung cancer 3 yrs ago

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    My DH has tried to quit several time with varied results. I hope it works for you!

Research shows that having a support group increases your odds of staying smoke free so I suggest on top of the Welbutrin finding one of those. There may be a SA (smokers anonymous) group in your area. You will find 12 step people for the most part to be very excellent folks and they will do their best to help you stay in track. Just don't smoke "today" and you won't smoke for the rest of your life!

My grandmother just passed away last Saturday from stage 4 lung cancer. It was not pretty and she quit 15 years ago. Quit. You can do it.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Thread Information