Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone heard of this???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hrm interesting.....i have never heard of this Definity lens nor any of this Ground View Advantage stuff either. Is this a new lens only available in the US or does anyone know if its available in the UK under a different name?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Ok maybe...

I can see what you're getting at and no, I do not golf so I can't relate personally. However, looking at the picture you provided, I can't help but wonder why all these years we've been fitting flattops way down low at the request of golfers to "get it out of the way" when we I guess should have been raising them up so they could look under?? Perhaps not a good alternative for a flattop but maybe a round seg would work. I'll keep this thread in mind the next time we get a guinea pig--- I mean a golfing presbyope in here. Thanks Audi, learn sumpin' new ever' day.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I sure do play golf! This sounds interesting. How far below the mrp does the reading end and the gva begin?
    I believe I figured I had 2mm of usable GVA at the bottom of these lenses. And I'll admit I was looking right through the very bottom of the lenses - not purposely holding my head as such - everything just lined up that way. But it was better than looking under the lenses as a blurry ball.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza View Post
    hrm interesting.....i have never heard of this Definity lens nor any of this Ground View Advantage stuff either. Is this a new lens only available in the US or does anyone know if its available in the UK under a different name?
    It's an Essilor product. Essilor however did not create the lens - Johnson & Johnson (of Acuvue fame) created the Definity. Their marketing gameplan however stunk to high heaven and the lens - although technologically advanced - was a loser for them. Essilor via the Varilux brand purchased the Johnson & Johnson optical lens division and remarketed the Definity. They also moved the production from Virginia (Roanoke Definity Lab) to Dallas (Avisia Lab) where the Physio/Physio360 are fabricated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    I believe I figured I had 2mm of usable GVA at the bottom of these lenses. And I'll admit I was looking right through the very bottom of the lenses - not purposely holding my head as such - everything just lined up that way. But it was better than looking under the lenses as a blurry ball.
    Not much to look through! So, would you recommend this lens as a great golf lens?

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

VSP Lab will stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post

Reduction in add power below the near zone ... Provides clearer vision and greater clarity for ... going up and down stairs, stepping off curbs, using escalators [whenever the patient needs to look down using the lowest part of the lens.]

The GROUND VIEW ADVANTAGE can be found in both DEFINITY and DEFINITY SHORT.

http://www.definity.com/Professional...+Advantage.asp

Visit the oldest unsolved puzzle in optics ...
    Thanks "R" for your clarification. When I specifically called one of my (now not trusted, old timers) at the VSP lab, they were sure the Short didn't have the ground view addition. Live and learn. Calling when the patient is in front of you and the shop is closing is never a great experience. Well egg on my face......but then again......turns out the Doc made a mistake on the RX, don't get me started on that. So we shall see.

Is there a way to see if the ground view is incl or cut off? My placement chart doesn't show a way. Feedback? :idea:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    I can see what you're getting at and no, I do not golf so I can't relate personally. However, looking at the picture you provided, I can't help but wonder why all these years we've been fitting flattops way down low at the request of golfers to "get it out of the way" when we I guess should have been raising them up so they could look under?? Perhaps not a good alternative for a flattop but maybe a round seg would work. I'll keep this thread in mind the next time we get a guinea pig--- I mean a golfing presbyope in here. Thanks Audi, learn sumpin' new ever' day.
    Hrm not sure about the flat top set low approach, but another good solution for golfers is to fit them with a small round seg but with an outset rather than inset and also set a bit low as well (usually only in one lens and just plain DV in the other) . This gives them a nice uninterrupted distance vision with a small offset reading add for looking at the scorecard.

Thread Information