Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Define Quality?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Define Quality?

I am sick of reading and hearing about QUALITY. It seems that every frame company, lens company, lab or optical shop boasts of quality. Flip thru any of the trade rags and see how many times the word quality pops up in ads. But, what is quality? Does it mean anything, or does it mean everything? What is quality?

So, I ask:

Define Quality!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    quality is the ability of the product or service to equal or exceed expectations for performance.

That is off the top of my head.

So lets say we expect glasses to last two years of reasonable use the paint will not peal, the hinges will not pull apart, and solder points will hold. Also, the lenses will be relatively scratch free and the coatings will remain in tact.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What does "Quality" mean today? That's simple:

Quality means "freedom from (apparent) complaint"

Yes....indeedy it does...

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 04-18-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lenses are not poping out of the frame!
    No holes inbetween the lens and eyewire:bbg:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Quality.......................

As frames are made of the same basic materials,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in metal all the manufacturers use prefabricated profiled wires of different material made in a very factories (there might be some new ones in China), so are the hinges and screws, similar to car manufacturing.

,,,,,,in plastic, the same thing is happening, cellulose acetate plates and a few injectable materials are used. These materials are more or less all the same chemical formula....................

Said that I would say that any mentioning of quality will not concern the materials used themselves. However some surface treatments can vary specially when it concerns colored metal frames.

Therefore the word quality should apply to the construction and the finish of a frame.

For example a heavy big plastic frame with flimsy thin hinges would not be the same quality than the equivalent same frame with solid nearly unbreakable hinges.

In the old day's an optical apprentice had to follow courses to learn all about frames, their materials and their construction, being able to recognize strong and weak points as well as repair ability.

These courses where given by seasoned opticians which were neutral compared to lectures given these days by Representatives of manufacturers who tend to favorisethe construction methods of their employer, which is nothing else than normal.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-18-2007 at 02:44 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Define Quality!

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has waned.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quality.......

.....Eyeglasses made by me.:cheers:

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

I like . . . .

For-Lifes definition. Especially since it has nothing to do with price. I believe that we all strive for quality in everything we do. What about those that have experienced the bitterness of poor quality from high end places?? Or doesn't that happen??

Old school Opticians were not only expected to know theory and fabrication, but we were also expected to know how to make money. For those of you who say I can't make a pair of glasses for $XX.XX I say shame on you!! For those of you who choose not to make glasses for $XX.XX, well that's a whole other story.

Before any of you get nose bleeds from travelling with your nose so high in the air, I have a question. Do any of you have relatives living on pensions or social security?? Are you saying that because they can't spend several hundred dollars on glasses that they don't deserve a quality experience and product??

I will put the quality of product we produce up against anyone in town and there are many charging 10 times what we charge. Its this attitude that helps us grow, so I would like to thank you. I would rather thank you for not treating my clients like dirt just because they can't afford your services. That would make me even happier!!

I hope you're all having fun and making money!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    Do any of you have relatives living on pensions or social security?? Are you saying that because they can't spend several hundred dollars on glasses that they don't deserve a quality experience and product??
    No...not at all....

Thanks why *Costco* optical was invented!

Barry

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Interesting . . . . !!

I think that's the first time I've heard Costco refered to as a quality experience. If they're doing that good a job though then God bless them!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Frame quality= Easy to adjust, holds adjustment well and never breaks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quality in my own personal eyewear means that in the two years I have had the frame, I have never had a screw come loose, never had to re-adjust, never had the finish chip or peel or lose it's color. I have had some poor quality frames in the past but IMHO if it's made in Europe it's much better quality. The frame I wear is a Gucci 1740. I don't want to give it up, it's so great, but might be time for a new style.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Very good...................

Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Quality in my own personal eyewear means that in the two years I have had the frame, I have never had a screw come loose, never had to re-adjust, never had the finish chip or peel or lose it's color.
    Good answer...........................Question................... .

How are you going to recognize a quality frame that has the quality you want, when a new sales rep presents you a new frame line?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

How are you going to recognize a quality frame that has the quality you want, when a new sales rep presents you a new frame line?
    Company names value means a lot. Note, that does not mean brand name value. I have seen a lot of junk brand names walk through the door. If I see Ronor or Tura or whoever walk through the door my trust level raises. I know this company, I know what it stands for, and I know what will happen if there is a problem.

After that I try to look at things like the spring hinge, try to judge the quality of the paint, look at where the mount is places (screw, nylon and such), the feel of it and so forth.

I am very careful about accepting new distributors into the office, because we have been burned before.

As for lenses, it is not easy to tell a good AR from a poor AR, so I go with what I know. If know that this product will not scratch or craze I will use it versus some unknown brand from China (ie: going back to the other thread).

Master OptiBoarder keithbenjamin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You are absolutely right, Fezz. The term "quality" means zilch unless qualified or quantified. Yet, every marketer and advertiser just can't seem stay away from using it. Chalk it up to laziness, I suppose. It is just one of a whole group of nebulous terms used in advertising everyday that sound good, mean little, and simply get ignored (by both consumers and Chief Marketing Officers). Quality, service, and value are probably the most overused (or abused) words that fit into this category.

Anyone interested in exploring quality (and a strange trip) should read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig; a story having very little to do with either Zen or motorcyle maintenance, but will almost certainly get you thinking in ways you haven't thought before.

-Keith

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I don't want any stinkin' new sales reps. But, if I must I can hold a frame in my hand and look it over. After 30 years I can certainly spot a bad one and usually know a good one when I see it. There is just a feel to it.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Fell for it.......................

Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    After 30 years I can certainly spot a bad one and usually know a good one when I see it. There is just a feel to it.
    After 30 years you should have the feel for I agree....................what about the younger ones?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gifts Galore

The younger ones are too busy figuring out if they should get the LL Bean Fleece Vest or the matching umbrella, attache and wristwatch set with there 24 piece frame order!

;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    quality is the ability of the product or service to equal or exceed expectations for performance.

That is off the top of my head.

I really like this For-Life.

Thanks all for posting.

One example that I like to bring up is lenses. Lets say and pretend to agree that the Zeiss GT2 (Essilor, Shamir, Hoya, whoever) is a *quality* lens.
    1.) I get that lens surfaced, edged and mounted at lab#1=fantastic fit, power, cosmetics. Perfect.
    2.) Lab#2 sends the same job .12D strong, one or two hairline scratches, seg 1mm off from my measurements, etc.

Is this still the same *quality* lens?

Is a Safilo, Marchon, Rem or name the company frame, at you know what price, any better than the no name China made value brand that I use at you know what price?

Hmmmmmmm? Quality?

keithBenjamin summed it up pretty good.

Thanks all, lets see where this goes.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I really like this For-Life.

Thanks all for posting.

One example that I like to bring up is lenses. Lets say and pretend to agree that the Zeiss GT2 (Essilor, Shamir, Hoya, whoever) is a *quality* lens.
    1.) I get that lens surfaced, edged and mounted at lab#1=fantastic fit, power, cosmetics. Perfect.
    2.) Lab#2 sends the same job .12D strong, one or two hairline scratches, seg 1mm off from my measurements, etc.

Is this still the same *quality* lens?
    The lens as in the before edged product is still that of quality. For the after finished product you have one of quality and one that is garbage. In the end the quality lens was not the problem, the quality of the lab was. It goes to show you that we can have the best product, but if we do not maintain its quality (there's that word again) then we can hurt it.

Is a Safilo, Marchon, Rem or name the company frame, at you know what price, any better than the no name China made value brand that I use at you know what price?
    Maybe, maybe not. The Chinese made product may be equal to, less than, or greater than the known company names. In this situation a new construct enters, and that is the idea of risk/trust. Sure I can save some money and buy from this new company overseas, but what if something goes wrong? I am increasing my return by increasing my risk, and while it may be averse, it may be just that much more risk for little return (it could be the other way around).

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    jb and janet would be extra proud of you! a quality lens is a quality lens .the lab makes the difference in this case.and us old timers remember imperial and sro and swan. you got what you paid for and you knew it in advance.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My thinking is, quality is defined by the person shelling out the money. I don't have the audacity to think I should define quality for my patients, and that's why I can sell. Quality to some means a brand; to others, material; to others, your warranty; to others...well, you get the idea.
    Our job is to figure out what the customer thinks quality is, and give that to them.
    Proof of this--I used to bartend and still do an odd banquet or whatever, and I can tell you that the bartender who tells the customer his choice of Absolut is stupid because Stoli is so much better (even though it is) gets crap tips.
    Sure, there are sheep out there, but most people don't want your idea of quality frames and lens performance, they want their own idea of quality frames and lens performance.
    I hate to be a jerk, but 99% of the people on this board couldn't sell a car to save their life. "Oh, no sir, you don't want the Jaguar as the speed limit's 55--you're just wasting money. Let me show you this Hyundai..."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quality........

Would this imply that everything else is inferior ???

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just wait til I re-introduce inspection of lenes by Modern-Arc. Then the feathers will fly.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After 30 years you should have the feel for I agree....................what about the younger ones?

Well hopefully the old ones are teaching them. Lord knows I try but it's still "Oooo, that's pretty! Let's get that one!".:hammer:

Thread Information