Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAO or OAA...which is it?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NAO or OAA...which is it?

I'm joining one or the other; which one is most respected by the real opticians here? Which does more to promote education (not FORCED education--education for it's own sake because we don't want to suck at our jobs; I don't feel the need to legislate myself a raise or job protection)?
    Another concern is, which is less tied in with commercial interests? I don't want a "Sponsored by Essilor" asterisk next to every document I receive.
    I want to join an org that a) recognizes ABO certified opticians, b) offers discounts on training materials as I'm taking the ABO advanced in November, and c) seeks to build partnerships with ODs and MDs rather than creating an adversarial relationship.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would suggest the OAA. They seem to be a bit more broad based in support for the Opticians. The NAO is ok, but they are really just an educational material providing organization. The OAA is more active in legislation, Opticians concerns and the such. Harry Chilling and OPTIDONN may be good ones to ask. I *think* they may have some opinions on the matter.

PS. I just joined the OAA about a month ago. They have a promotion that if you join and mention a current member as a referral, that person gets free dues if three mention them. I listed Harry Chiling(I put his full name on the apllication.). If you are so inclined, and not upset, at war, angry, etc at him, may be a nice gesture. He may already have three referrals already, then by all means--List me!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Definately list Fezz and I would say the OAA, but my opinion is a little biased. I do see them promoting the profession more. Ultimately it would be nice to join all three.

• ABO/NCLE - Certifying Opticians and Contact Lens Techs
    • CLSA or NAO - Providing Educational Materials for Opticians/ Contact Lens Techs
    • OAA - Providing a legislative Voice for Opticians and helping the societies out

They all have their downfalls and if you were to ask me a year or two ago I would have said screw them all, untill you atend one or two of the meetings or events. All the organizations are fighting a next to impossible fight yet every day they just keep churning away. I really respect what they do and to me the OAA membership is a pitance. Hope that helps.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess I'll join both--though tomorrow I'll start with OAA based on what you both have said, then wait a couple of paychecks for NAO. I definitely need the cheaper study materials if I'm going to pass the advanced ABO and the NCLE.
    Am I correct in assuming Harry has his referrals? If so, I'll list Fezz. Both of you guys are great, it's a matter of who would benefit quicker.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, forgot to add whichever one I should mention should PM me the info and also tell me how to make sure they get credit. I'm assuming I can just do it online tomorrow with a credit card.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll echo Harry. I'm a member of all three, but the OAA is our political voice. I'll also suggest to pony up to Honored Fellow status. It gives them more $ to promote us. You can look at it as paying for the opticians that don't join. The extra is less than a few hours salary for many of us. If you care about promoting opticianry, this is our most effective outlet. Go here to learn more...

http://www.oaa.org/index.shtml

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I must add:

It is refreshing to see someone taking an active stance and becoming proactive about this profession. I feel that now, more than ever, is the time to step up....not aside..

Mr. Mitchell, I applaud your effort and anything that I can do to help, support, motivate, kick in the a*s or whatever, let me know.

And you get the: Fezz's Six Beer Salute of the Day!!!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, you and Harry really guilted me into realizing I can just be in this profession for myself. As the only optician where I work, I've had to realize that the "esoteric" knowledge really does matter--I'm the only one who can meet these patient's needs, and telling them to go somewhere else is an insult to both the patient and my profession.
    I still think we should allow untrained newcomers in to learn--we'll just have to disagree on that--but I do see now that a frame stylist simply can't help the patients who need us the most. We ARE important, and there's too many learned, dedicated opticians on here and out there for me to dismiss what we do as mere selling.
    I don't know how to make the six beer salute appear, so I'll just continue drinking one as I type ;).

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Er...sorry...first sentence above should read, "I can't just be in this profession for myself."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mitchell View Post
    so I'll just continue drinking one as I type ;).

See what happens when you imbibe and type......:D

I would never try that.

*as I lift my glass and take a long draw of a very fine ale ;^) *

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You cannot join the ABO. It is a certifying body, not a membership organization.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't recall anyone discussing "joining" the ABO. Harry did mention "joining" all three orgs if you want to be pedantic about it, but I'm pretty sure he knows what the ABO means.
    Now for the real question...Will you hook me up with some of whatever you're smoking, Judy?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In as much as this confusion has surfaced quite frequently in past discussions, I simply provided an explanation for the benefit of others who may be browsing this forum.

In any event, if you can't afford the dues, you can't afford the cigars I smoke.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    In as much as this confusion has surfaced quite frequently in past discussions, I simply provided an explanation for the benefit of others who may be browsing this forum.

In any event, if you can't afford the dues, you can't afford the cigars I smoke.

Madoura wrapper?

Do you cut, notch, punch, or just bite the ends off?

Looks like I have to get a few today to enjoy with a fine ale after work. Thanks Judy for making me Jones for a good smoke!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Education or legislation?

I beleive that if we are to be true professionals, that we need to support our professional organizations. For education, the National Academy of Opticianry is the way to go. That's what they do. The Opticians Association of America is legislation. Join both.

If you want education first, I would join the NAO first.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I do have some issues with the NAO. First they are way over priced for their study materials and CE's. Second I wish they would continue with several tiers of educational material. Not just study material and CE's I'd really like to see more "advanced" information available for people wishing to continue their studies past certification. Thats just the tip of the ice berg for me. I feel they sure could do a heck of alot more if they wanted to.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Madoura wrapper?

Looks like I have to get a few today to enjoy with a fine ale after work. Thanks Judy for making me Jones for a good smoke!

Cut...and you're welcome, though I prefer mine with a fine single malt after a day in the trenches.:bbg:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    Madoura wrapper?

The darker the better baby, I notch turn 90o and notch again. It creates a nice X in the back that draws smooth. Favorite cigar being the Padron (anniversary is the best) at $15 - $30 a stick I don't endulge as much as I'd like. The punch's are a great budget smoke that I do occasionally puff, and I got a real good deal on some COHIBA's a while back that I still have about a few left of (not the crappy american version, but the old school dominican and I used to have a few of the havana's as well, but they get smoked real quickly)

I look at all three organizations as being vital and needing the membership/support. Everyone thinks of the ABO/NCLE first though because they have something to gain from joining, but like Mr_Mitchell metioned he is trying to learn so now he has much to gain from NAO/CLSA as they provide that educational arm of our proffesion. Once he's had his fill of the education he will start to wonder how on earth an optician of his caliber is taken for granted, then the OAA becomes vital to the growth of his proffesion and to provide a voice.

Right now Mr_Mitchell focus on the educational part of things and learn, learn , learn. The NAO has great opticianry books and their are still a few schools that would acept their CCP for college credit so they are a great resource for you, also if you are looking to get into the conatct lens side of things the CLSA is unrivaled the university thing they started is tops in my book. Keep the OAA in mind and if you can join them join them because they are the only thing we have in terms of preservation of our field and advancement through legislation. Call them up talk to them on the phone and metion that you are torn between the NAO and OAA and let them tell you what they can offer you and what they are about.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    The darker the better baby, I notch turn 90o and notch again. It creates a nice X in the back that draws smooth. Favorite cigar being the Padron (anniversary is the best) at $15 - $30 a stick I don't endulge as much as I'd like. The punch's are a great budget smoke that I do occasionally puff, and I got a real good deal on some COHIBA's a while back that I still have about a few left of (not the crappy american version, but the old school dominican and I used to have a few of the havana's as well, but they get smoked real quickly)

I do enjoy a good smoke now and then. I tend to be a bit too tight with my cash and rarely indulge. I hate to admit it, but my regular choice of a smoke is...........Backwoods! Nothing beats a good, fresh Backwoods while cutting grass, splitting wood, shooting the bull.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz
    Nothing beats a good, fresh Backwoods while cutting grass
    Nod, nod, wink, wink this guy somkes the grass, I thought you were a beer man. :D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I do enjoy a good smoke now and then. I tend to be a bit too tight with my cash and rarely indulge. I hate to admit it, but my regular choice of a smoke is...........Backwoods! Nothing beats a good, fresh Backwoods while cutting grass, splitting wood, shooting the bull.
    What!!? No Rum Crooks!???:bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    What!!? No Rum Crooks!???:bbg:

Ah, you must be an Outlaw smoker!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did it! I went with "Honored Fellow" membership in the OAA and put Fezz down as the referrer. I almost went with the cheaper membership, then I thought about what you guys have said and I (grudgingly) forked over the extra.
    And Judy, sorry for my remark...I was a bit, uh...you know, just a touch...okay, I was blind drunk. Really I am sorry and I know you were trying to offer good advice to those who might have been confused by all these alphabet orgs.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What about your state society?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My state society has apparently been giving members' email addys to spammers, so I think I'll pass for now.

Thread Information