Thread: Could someone answer this please

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Could someone answer this please

I've been an "optician" for 4 months now in the state of Oregon. I have a few questions. What's the difference between a dispensing optician, CL Optician, Lab Optician etc..? I was under the impression that all opticians handle all the same duties. For example, I deal with Pre-testing, tracing and grinding lenses, repairs(soldering) , adjustments, sales, CL training/follow up etc.. What kind of optician does that make me?? I'm not certified but have been going through training and am about to start studying books to become ABO certified. Why all the different catagories of Opticians??

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Sounds to me like you are going to be a "well rounded" optician. Certain practices may call their opticians based upon responsibilities, but the fact is, without a national certifying agency a person with an opossable thumb and nothing else can call themselves an optician. Make sure that when you pass your ABO to flaunt it! Knowing how to pretest patients, edge and accurately complete finishing work, contact lens knowledge and patient education, and of course an extensive knowledge of optics:hammer: should make you a valuable asset to your practice.
    Good luck! How's Bend anyway?
    :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressOptical View Post
    For example, I deal with Pre-testing, tracing and grinding lenses, repairs(soldering) , adjustments, sales, CL training/follow up etc.. What kind of optician does that make me??

OVERWORKED ! And probably underpaid. :D

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper What kind of optician does that make me?? ...................

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressOptical View Post
    What kind of optician does that make me??
    Once you master all the items you have mentioned...................and also know why you are doing it and can back it up theoretically.....which means with some papers and diplomas......................you can call yourself a super optician. Mind we never stop learning.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrock View Post
    Sounds to me like you are going to be a "well rounded" optician. Certain practices may call their opticians based upon responsibilities, but the fact is, without a national certifying agency a person with an opossable thumb and nothing else can call themselves an optician. Make sure that when you pass your ABO to flaunt it! Knowing how to pretest patients, edge and accurately complete finishing work, contact lens knowledge and patient education, and of course an extensive knowledge of optics:hammer: should make you a valuable asset to your practice.
    Good luck! How's Bend anyway?
    :cheers:
    Bend is good its rainy today. Our office is taking a trip up to portland in July, and Opticraft is going to pay for a hotel and take us out to dinner and then the next morning give us a tour. Do you guys use opticraft??

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Welcome to optiboard and welcome to optics. :cheers:

To answer your question, I'd say that there is (unfortunately) NOT a consensus on what an optician "is" and just "how" one becomes an optician.

Some will say apprenticeship is the way to go and others say a more formal education approach is the best way to protect and "evolve" opticianry.

And, then you throw in the mix states with standards for opticians with those which have none ... and it can be hard to define ...

I'm not sure what training program you are using but I will put in a recommendation for the TOPS manual by Michael DiSanto. It's absolutely awesome and I recommend that every opticial have it as a resource.

Our opticials primarily use the HOYA lab but I've heard good things about opticraft.

Thread Information