Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Optos Optomap

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Misconceptions about Optomap

After reading this string of messages I think it is incumbent upon me to respond to some of the inaccuracies.

1) The leasing model is a "partnership". In any partnership the profits are split. In the case of the Optos lease, the money that is sent to Optos on a monthly basis covers install, training, service, software upgrades, R&D etc. The money that the practice keeps is profit. Since there is no up-front costs, it only appears as though the cost is high. The truth is that for no money down, most practices earn roughly $3,000 to $4,000 per month of incremental revenue.

2) Practices can charge the patient any price. The average is about $40.

3) The software needed to view the optomap images is free and can be downloaded from the Optos website www.optos.com

4) If you are having difficutlies getting good images, you should contact the company and they will send out a clinical rep to work with your staff. This does not cost you anything. If it is determined that it is not the staff but something in the system, Optos will send out a technician to address the problem. If you are putting up with bad images you have only yourself to blame.

5) If you have captured images that you want to archive, you can store them on a hard drive, DVD or remote storage. You most definitely do not lose them.

6) Optomap IS NOT a replacement for BIO and dilation. It is designed to be an adjunct. It is great for documenting the periphery, seeing through cataractous lenses, cloudy vitreous, small pupils, children, and many other important purposes that are not addressed by other technology. Many thought leaders in the OD community have the system and would recommend it to suitable practices.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Spoken like a true sales rep...

Let this thread die...

And please stop with the horrible ads with the pictures of the sharks, too bad it doesn't show the whale that would be found in the nasal portion of the retina.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Leasing technology that changes quickly is a good business plan. Leasing technology that rarely gets updated is a bad idea. Optomap is #2.

Second, what's the deal of the day?

Third, at a cost of $22/patient, you can get the same wow effect with a $2k Canon retro'd with a Digital Rebel. Better value, less staff time, same wow, less hassle.

Fourth, nothing beats stereo imaging.

Fifth, a red-free image is inherently hiding things.

Sixth, it's not an alternative to dilation and you certainly cannot judge a nerve with optomaps sphere-flattening distortions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by dojojoe View Post
    After reading this string of messages I think it is incumbent upon me to respond to some of the inaccuracies.

1) The leasing model is a "partnership". .
    Where do equipment companies get off thinking they can walk into my practice as a partner? Especially if I have to pay you. You need me more than I need you.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I know that this thread is very old, but I'm looking into getting a non-myd camera versus OPTOS. Can you tell me how to accomplish your 3rd point below??

Quote Originally Posted by allanon View Post
    Leasing technology that changes quickly is a good business plan. Leasing technology that rarely gets updated is a bad idea. Optomap is #2.

Second, what's the deal of the day?

Third, at a cost of $22/patient, you can get the same wow effect with a $2k Canon retro'd with a Digital Rebel. Better value, less staff time, same wow, less hassle.

Fourth, nothing beats stereo imaging.

Fifth, a red-free image is inherently hiding things.

Sixth, it's not an alternative to dilation and you certainly cannot judge a nerve with optomaps sphere-flattening distortions.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Have you made a decision on what to purchase? I am weighing the same options as well

Thread Information