Thread: Can you help? Wraparound, lined, high Rx progressive or bifocal

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Can you help? Wraparound, lined, high Rx progressive or bifocal

Hi all,

I run a discussion forum for people with severe chronic dry eye. A lot of our members require moisture chamber eyewear, particularly Panoptx CV frames which have the Orbital Seal breathable foam insert. But things are really tough for the folks who need prescriptions higher than about -4.0.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a foam lined wraparound, where the optics wouldn't be horribly distorted in a high Rx?

Here's the "wishlist":

1) lens cup (replaceable) for full protection from air
    2) lens can be made in distance Rx greater than 4.00
    3) lens can be made with progressive Rx
    4) distortion due to wraparound shape is not significant
    5) lens is available in clear material

Thanks much in advance for any suggestions!!!

Sincerely
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 03-29-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should contact a fellow Optiboarder=Awtech. His company specializes in wrap rx's(compensated for wrap), custom, "free-form" progressives.

As for frames.....sorry, I am stumped there.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee, Fezz, you are one of the people criticizing me for saying the average optician isn't worth boat loads of money and respect, and you can't answer this question?
    So where do you earn all that money and respect? Measuring progs correctly? Adding some panto?
    You couldn't answer this question and neither can I. The difference is I am aware of my own limitations and it doesn't bother me.
    Since you can only pass off an odd request to a more knowledgeable person, you're proving my point that opticians who claim to "know it all" aren't worth the money.
    For the poster, there are local opticians who can give you all the answers; network with them as I have. Your lab rep can probably find the solution, as well.
    Oh, wait, that's right--we don't network locally, we just brag about our "skills" here on optiboard and pretend to be competent by suggesting you ask someone who actually knows what they're doing.
    So...ask, uh...who was that ultra-competent optician again?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I don't have a lab rep, I don't sell optical products (not Rx that is) and frankly I don't know anything about them. I'm just trying to help someone out. I've talked with opticians about this and struck out, that's why I posted here, as there are so many I figgered maybe somebody out there knows of an obscure product or has a creative idea.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Swim goggles??

try http://www.sportoptix.com/

You might have to call and explain the situation to Walt, but it is an idea.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
    Hi all,

I run a discussion forum for people with severe chronic dry eye. A lot of our members require moisture chamber eyewear, particularly Panoptx CV frames which have the Orbital Seal breathable foam insert. But things are really tough for the folks who need prescriptions higher than about -4.0.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a foam lined wraparound, where the optics wouldn't be horribly distorted in a high Rx?

Here's the "wishlist":

1) lens cup (replaceable) for full protection from air
    2) lens can be made in distance Rx greater than 4.00
    3) lens can be made with progressive Rx
    4) distortion due to wraparound shape is not significant
    5) lens is available in clear material

Thanks much in advance for any suggestions!!!

Sincerely
    I'm not familiar with the particular frames you mention, but if the problem is that the lenses end up being tilted, thereby inducing changes to the Rx, that can be compensated for, in the same way as fashion wraps are. I believe that Darryl's wrap calculator is online here, in the file section - why not give that a try?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mitchell View Post
    Gee, Fezz, you are one of the people criticizing me for saying the average optician isn't worth boat loads of money and respect, and you can't answer this question?
    So where do you earn all that money and respect? Measuring progs correctly? Adding some panto?
    You couldn't answer this question and neither can I. The difference is I am aware of my own limitations and it doesn't bother me.
    Since you can only pass off an odd request to a more knowledgeable person, you're proving my point that opticians who claim to "know it all" aren't worth the money.
    For the poster, there are local opticians who can give you all the answers; network with them as I have. Your lab rep can probably find the solution, as well.
    Oh, wait, that's right--we don't network locally, we just brag about our "skills" here on optiboard and pretend to be competent by suggesting you ask someone who actually knows what they're doing.
    Mr. Mitchell, dial it back a bit, please. Legitimate question from a non-optical person and a legit referral given.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow Mr. Mitchell!

You've sure got your panties in a bind! Have a tough day?

Chill out and maybe your optical insecurities will subside.

:cheers: :hammer: :cheers:

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    I would second Fezz. I would also look at the WileyX line - true wrap styles and many come with a foam gasket like the Panoptix.

As for lenses, a -4.00 is not a real issue in a wrap if the Rx is wrap compensated - there are newer lenses on the market designed with this in mind (KBco EOS lenses come to mind) but other lenses (including clear lenses) would benefit from wrap compensation. The lab I work with has done a progressive as high as a -7.5 in a wrap style for me (wrap compensated on a 6FBC lens) and they looked great. Patient loved them and had no visual complaints.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Put the crack pipe down and step away! I know for a fact that Fezz can answer the question! The fact that he is referring this person to a fellow optiboard member who specializes in this does not mean that he does no have an answer!:angry:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think you may need to go another direction.

With goggle-type glasses, you are going to exceed the optical capabilities of the frame design with high Rxs and progressives, etc. It's a losing proposition.

What needs to be done is an invention of "underspecs" that seal against the sides of the face, are made from a clear plastic, have some variable degree of venting, but allow regular spectacles to be worn.

Swim goggles at bedtime may be very helpful, though. Non-Rx is sufficient, there.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wrap around solutions

Rebecca Petris said:
    But things are really tough for the folks who need prescriptions higher than about -4.0.
    ICE-TECH Advanced Lens Technologies produces fully compensated custom lenses for wrap frames. These are available in our Advanced Polarized lenes as well as other materials, Trivex, Poly, 1.60/42 abbe and 1.67 in clear and Transitions.

drk said:
    With goggle-type glasses, you are going to exceed the optical capabilities of the frame design with high Rxs and progressives, etc. It's a losing proposition.
    If the lens is designed for the orientation on the face then the optical properties can be individually designed for the Rx and frame wrap, tilt and vertex distance.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

gee whiz

try wiley-x. theyr'e on the web. they make an alum/magnesium 6-8 base wrap in rigid metal that has a very close fitting foam insert that does have some venting to prevent vapor fogging. i have one myself. if they no longer make it, give me a call and i'll take a pic for you with some measurements and you can pay me the cost. i don't use it just because i never got around to putting lenses in to. great frame though. the fit will vary based on your face geometry - square over brows or swept back, cheek fullness and height, etc...

certainly you may want to check with Rudy Project or Oakely, but i don't keep up with sun that much.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You could fit the patient in "Lacrilens" or you could just advise, not prescribe castor oil drops and make the condition go a way.

But Oh that works, and no one has ever paid for an FDA investigation on Castor Oil....

Chip

Occupation
    Buy Wrap frames that dont require the lens to wrap. Lots of sunglass manufacturers make them there are also goggles for motorcycle riding that should do the job and can fit any rx without specialty lenses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thank you all for the responses & ideas, I appreciate it.

Chip, trust me, the people I'm talking about are way beyond castor oil (though I do know some who have benefitted from it). Take a look at my site, 1500 members many of whom have tried every dry eye remedy known to man not to mention a few for animals. Many are actually disabled by severe photophobia and surface pain. I wear 18.5mm rigid scleral contacts myself and still need Panoptx outside.

Re Wiley-X: I'm familiar with and have worn these (in fact they're my preferred glasses for driving because the side vision is better than the wraparounds with higher profile foam) but in my experience the lightweight foam gasket is nowhere near as effective as Panoptx patented "orbital seal" when dry eye is very severe.

Audiyoda, can you possibly give me contact info for the lab you mentioned?

DRK, you said:
    What needs to be done is an invention of "underspecs" that seal against the sides of the face, are made from a clear plastic, have some variable degree of venting, but allow regular spectacles to be worn.
    I think that the Eagle Vision moist eye moisture panel (see link) is like what you're talking about? The patient I have in mind is wearing this currently I believe and I know a lot of people with Sjogrens who wear it. I agree it's a good one, but not always enough.

AW-Tech, thank you for the lead, I will follow up on that.

thank you all again... if anyone things of anything else I'd sure appreciate any and all leads. My email is rebecca@dryeyezone.com.
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 03-31-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Thread Information