Thread: Do inexpensive sunglasses have "spray on" uv?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do inexpensive sunglasses have "spray on" uv?

I know this is a very strange question, but I had a sunglass rep tell everyone in my office this. No one questioned it, but I am very skeptical. She told us that inexpensive sunglasses (she said under $40.00 retail) often have a spray on UV filter that washes away in 5 or so washes. She says the US has the weakest laws in the world concerning UV in sunglasses.

This seems competely off the wall to me. I didn't want to say anything at the time....but is there any truth to this? Where did she get this from?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    plastic lenses block over 85% of UV transmission without a UV filter.

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

UV coating Manufacturer

We manufacturer various UV coatings used by labs and lens manufacturers. I suppose it is possible. But, a proper UV coating is generally applied in a bath process and is just not that expensive per pair when done in a production environment. A bath process is easier and cheaper to do than a spray-on due to issues of viscosity and an even distribution with out pooling on the lens surface. In addition the bath process would offer less waste and a higher performance coating when done properly.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    CR39 lenses would yellow in no time in the 1970''s, so lens manufacturers would put a clear UV absorber into the monomer before casting the lens. This would then absorb UV up to 360 nm, and lenses would not get yellow anymore. (This would cover UV B which is the range fro 270 to 360 nm that will give sunburns at NM)

In the early 1950's it was proven that that the long range UV A from 360 to 400nm would initiate long term damage to the eye as cataract and other problems.

Therefor CR39 will protect for sunburns, but not for longterm problems which pop up years after having no protection. Polycarbonate lenses will protect up to 400nm.

Any treated CR39 that protect up to the full 400nm, as it should, has a yellowish tinge. Any treated lens that is clear will protect only half way between the 360nm and the full 400nm.

Any optician selling clear looking UV absorbing CR39 lenses is protecting the patients eyes only half way to the 400 mark. :finger:

Many opticians have chosen to sell clear UV lenses , because they look better without caring about the protection the patient gets, while forgetting that they could tint over the yellowish tinge at 400nm so it looks nice,
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-23-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Occupation

Get a good UV Meter...................

Any of you guy's and girls should have a proper UV meter that also measures visible transmission in you store or office, so you can check a new job as well as one you have dispensed a while ago, or a job from LC who uses a 1 minute version UV treatment that is proven not to be permanent.

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-23-2007 at 04:20 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    . What Chris said.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I know this is a very strange question, but I had a sunglass rep tell everyone in my office this. No one questioned it, but I am very skeptical. She told us that inexpensive sunglasses (she said under $40.00 retail) often have a spray on UV filter that washes away in 5 or so washes. She says the US has the weakest laws in the world concerning UV in sunglasses.

This seems competely off the wall to me. I didn't want to say anything at the time....but is there any truth to this? Where did she get this from?
    That sounds like a rep to not do business with.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi everybody!, I'm still around.
    Questioning the UV proprties of sunglasses brings many myths.
    First of all, I do not know of many SUNGLASSES that do not meet the required 98% absorption of UV to 400nm- please correct me if wrong.
    The US does require this as minimum protection on all sunglasses- even the cheap stuff: must follow ANSI Z80.5 sunglass standard.
    The suggestion of having some method of measuring UV transmission is best followed, but beware not all such equipment provides accuate measurement to 400nm.
    Denny

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Not all meters are the same...................

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    .......................but beware not all such equipment provides accuate measurement to 400nm.
    Denny
    This is totally correct...............there are several UV meters on the market that are adjusted to read 100% UV absorbtion at 382nm. This is due to their sales of 1 minute and clear UV solutions which do not go higher.
    .....As I said before a proper UV absobtion on a clear lens has to have a yellowish tinge..........and if you dont like the appearance of it tint over with a light brown.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    The cheap stuff use cheap acyrlyic that blocks UV

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Funny..................

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    ......................She says the US has the weakest laws in the world concerning UV in sunglasses.
    Actually if you wear no sunglasses or clear Rx Glasses outside you get full exposure of at least UV A...................so its not only sunglasses it's all Rx glasses too.

I could actually go and sue the optician if I would develop a cataract, because when I purchased the glasses he never mentioned or suggested or pushed to have the lenses treated for UV protection.

On the contrary the optician pushed to sell AR coatings which transmit UV at an even higher rate..

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could you sue the prescriber who found no need for correction but did not prescribe plano UV glasses? Of course not. If one did sue anyone for this it would be in court forever (if both sides had money) as there are a good many "experts" who claim cataracts are no higher as percent of the population in areas that have holes in the Ozone and high UV exposure.

It's a good product but don't claim it's the word of God that you have to have it. I see that practioners that fill thier own Rx's always specify U.V. and those few left that don't do not seem to care. Could it be that our concern is at least partially ecconomicly motivated?

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip,
    I agree with you somewhat.
    There is no real proven evidence of cataract formation due directly to UV exposure, but there is leading evidence that it may be likely.
    As far as SUNGLASSES (original post), any dark lens limiting light transmission will also produce dilation, dramatically increasing UV eposure/ effect. I would always assure UV absorption in sunglasses.
    Are we liable, maybe not, but we are not really sure, are we.
    Denny

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chip,
    I agree with you somewhat.
    There is no real proven evidence of cataract formation due directly to UV exposure, but there is leading evidence that it may be likely.
    As far as SUNGLASSES (original post), any dark lens limiting light transmission will also produce dilation, dramatically increasing UV eposure/ effect. I would always assure UV absorption in sunglasses.
    Denny
    I've always wondered about the dilation effect. I see where it could be a problem with wrap frames, but in regular frames is there not enough light leakage around the lens to minimize the effect?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation

Thumbs up Lawyers.......................

Denny
    Liable or not...........is'nt the good old USA the heaven for lawyers, ambulance chasers and crazy litigations of all sorts?

Actually in reference to the word "surface" one of the ultimate surface destruction test's is the so called Florida test. Expose the object to the Florida sun and wait how long it takes until the surface is destroyed by the UV rays emitted by the sun.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I've always wondered about the dilation effect. I see where it could be a problem with wrap frames, but in regular frames is there not enough light leakage around the lens to minimize the effect?
    Speaking of the dilation effect, I've noticed parents purchasing the absolute "darkest" sunglass they can find for their toddlers.:finger:

Was wondering if our fellow Optiboarders can give their opinion on how dark sunglasses should be on a toddler?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Dark.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Snitgirl View Post
    Was wondering if our fellow Optiboarders can give their opinion on how dark sunglasses should be on a toddler?
    When I learned the practical side of selling in the optical, still in the glass age (which absorbs UV), we were taught to always if possible, sell sunglasses in the 50% absorbtion range because of the dilation effect with darker sunglasses.

The darker they are the more the pupil opens and if you don't have the full UV protection you'll catch the rays with the included damage effect.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Denny:
    The point was that as an absolute has not been defined all the courts could do is listen to a lot of theory and BS and since there is an infinite supply for both sides with no definitive answer the issue could not be decided. Something like man's effect on Global Warning. Al Gore's people are absoutely convinced one way, some people are in doubt and some people are absolutely convinced that man has no or negligable effect.

Why look for trouble where it doesn't exist?

Chip

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The sunglasses the rep was talking about are the kind you find in Wallmart and places like that, not prescription ones.

So no one else has ever heard this? I wonder where she got it from.

Thread Information