Thread: Looking for Safety Photochromic Finished Lens

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Looking for Safety Photochromic Finished Lens

We do a whole lot of safety eyewear. Most are polycarbonate SV Transition. Most are also within the realm of SV Finished stock lenses. We get 2.0 safety finish blanks in clear from Vision-Ease. But I still have to surface each pair of Transitions. I really need a 2.0 safety photochromic finish product for safety eyewear. It would save me appx. 25% of my surface work.

Any ideas?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought OSHA standard for industrial safety was 3.0 ct. Maybe it varies by state? Or it changed and they didn't tell me. I do know that the rare times I have had to order a glass ptg safety lens it has been surfaced.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Coco-

OSHA has new standards. They have a high impact and low impact. Poly and trivex pass the high impact and can be 2.0 thick. I will post more detailed when i get into the office.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Here you go!

The ANSI standard encourages the reporting of eye injuries to help gather statistics. Article 3 of the new standard addresses Eye Incident Injury/Data History, referencing Annex H, if there is an incident involving eye injury. Annex H is the "Eye Injury Report Form" which states: "The attached form is provided for users of occupational and educational eye and face protection. Completing and returning this form will assist the Z87 Committee on Safety Standards for Eye Protection to improve this standard and develop others, as appropriate.

The Eye Injury Report Form is not subject to copyright and may be reproduced as needed."Click here for a reproducible copy of the Eye Injury Report Form.
    The changes are summarized in the following comparison charts. Please review them carefully. However, for the best source of information, we urge you to obtain an actual copy of the standard:
    a) Online: http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/default.asp - then select “ASSE” as the category and choose “Z87.1”

b) To reach ANSI by phone, call: Customer Service or Document Sales 8:30am – 6:00pm EST 1-212-642-4980
    Lenses and Frames

The many changes incorporated in the ANSI Z87.1-2003 standard affect the manufacture and testing of both safety frames and safety lenses. Because your industrial business is a valuable asset to your overall operation, you should be familiar with and adopt the practices of the new procedure to ensure compliance and to prevent potential liability issues related to eye injuries. This is particularly true because the use of thinner prescription lenses will be allowed if they meet the new standard.
    The changes in test requirements for safety frames ensure a higher level of quality. The standard requires more emphasis on lens retention, which translates to improved eye protection. It is important that you make sure the frames you use meet the standard and are marked Z87-2.
    All manufacturers of non-plano (prescription) safety frames are required to test their product using 2.00mm lenses in order to mark the product Z87-2. The test is a critical aspect of this standard because a frame that successfully retains a 3.00mm lens may not be capable of retaining a 2.00mm lens.

All frames must be manufactured and tested to demonstrate they meet the standard. It is important that laboratories make sure the frames they use meet the testing requirements. Titmus ISO Quality Management Procedures call for regularly scheduled re-testing of products throughout their life to guarantee their continuous compliance to the frame test requirement.
    Laboratory Responsibility

It is the responsibility of the laboratory to make sure that the complete protector (frame and lenses) delivered to the industrial customer is compliant.
    There are two levels of lens performance: Basic Impact and High Impact.

Basic Impact Non-plano Lenses:

The test methods for Basic Impact Lenses are unchanged from the 1989 standard and the lenses have a minimum thickness of 3.00mm. Basic Impact Lenses will be tested in the non-mounted state with 100% of glass tested and plastic statistically sampled.
    High Impact Non-plano Lenses:

The test methods for High Impact Non-plano Lenses are new and require close attention. Unlike Basic Impact, all non-plano lenses considered for use for High Impact will be type-tested in the non-mounted state for high-velocity impact resistance. More detail on this process is covered in the section "Lens Testing Requirements."
    Note: Basic Impact plano product is tested in the non-mounted state. High Impact plano product will be tested in the mounted state.

Finished Product

If the finished protector only meets the Basic Impact Standard, it is the responsibility of the laboratory to attach a Warning Label to the frame. This warning is designed to inform the wearer of the impact limitations of the lenses and also states that it is to be removed only by the wearer. These labels will be made available by the OLA.
    Lens Requirements

Minimum Thickness

ANSI Z87.1-1989
    Prescription Lenses

Must be 3.00mm thick except those lenses having a plus power of 3.00D or greater shall have a minimum thickness of 2.5mm.
    ANSI Z87.1-2003
    Prescription Lenses

There are two categories of lenses in the standard: Basic Impact and High Impact. They are called "non-plano."

Basic Impact Non-plano Lenses

Shall be 3.00mm thick except those lenses having a plus power of 3.00D or greater shall have a minimum thickness of 2.5mm (no change from the 1989 standard).

High Impact Non-plano Lenses
    Shall not be less than 2.00mm thick at their thinnest point.
    Removable Plano Lenses
    Shall be 3.00mm thick except those lenses that withstand 45.7mps impact of 1/4-in. steel ball. Such lenses shall not be less than 2.00mm thick.
    Plano Lenses
    (also called nonprescription)

Have two impact levels:
    Basic Impact Plano Lenses
    Shall be the same as Basic Impact Non-plano Lenses.

High Impact Plano Lenses
    Shall not be less than 2.00mm thick when used in a frame marked "Z87-2." No minimum thickness required if mass production plano protector.

Non-Removable Plano Lenses
    Shall be 3.00mm thick except plastic which can be 2.00mm thick.
    Lens Marking

Manufacturer's logo
    • Applicable shade designation
    • Photochromic lenses - mark V after the manufacturer's logo
    • Special purpose lenses mark S
    • All marking is permanent
    Manufacturer's logo
    basic impact:
    No "+" indicates protector only complies with Basic Impact test requirements.

High Impact:
    • "+" Indicates protector complies with High Impact test requirements
    • Applicable shade designation
    • V - Photochromic lenses
    • S - Special purpose lenses
    • All marking is permanent
    Example:
    W+2.5

(Manufacturer W makes a lens that meets high impact and has shade 2.5 filter.)

Impact

Prescription Lenses

Lenses shall be capable of resisting impact of a 25.4mm (1 in.) steel ball dropped from a height of 127cm (50 in.). The lens shall not fracture.
    Prescription Lenses

(called non-plano in the standard)

Basic Impact Non-plano Lenses
    • Shall be capable of resisting impact from a 25.4mm (1 in.) steel ball dropped from a height of 127mm (50 in.). The lens shall not fracture.
    • Glass lenses shall be tested 100%.
    • Plastic lenses shall be statistically sample tested.
    High Impact Non-plano Lenses
    • Shall be tested to the high velocity impact test. The lenses shall be mounted on a test holder and shall be capable of resisting impact from a 6.35mm (0.25 in.) diameter steel ball traveling at a velocity of 45.7m/s (150ft/s).
    • Three lenses shall be tested.
      - Failure consists of any posterior displacement of the lens completely through the test holder; any fracture of the lens; any detachment of a portion of the lens from its inner surface; or full thickness penetration of a lens.
      - If all test lenses pass, then any non-plano lens of the same or greater thickness at its thinnest point, which is made by the same manufacturer, from the same material with the same coatings may bear the "+" mark.
    Non-Removable Plano Lenses

Tested as complete devices with High Mass Impact and High Velocity Impact Tests & using an Alderson 50th percentile male head form.
    Plano Lenses

(also called nonprescription)

Basic Impact Plano Lenses
    • Drop Ball - Shall be capable of resisting impact from a 25.4mm (1 in.) steel ball dropped from a height of 127mm (50 in.). The lens shall not fracture.
    • Penetration - Plastic lenses shall be capable of resisting penetration from a weighted projectile weighing 1.56 oz. dropped from a height of 50 in. The lens shall not fracture or be pierced through.
    • Tested in the non-mounted state.
    High Impact Plano Lenses

Tested with High Mass, High Velocity and Penetration tests. Tested as a complete device
    Warning Label

None required

If the finished protector only meets the Basic Impact Standard, it is the responsibility of the laboratory to attach a Warning Label.
    • This warning is designed to inform the wearer of the impact limitations of the lenses and must state that it is to be removed only by the wearer.
    • These labels will be made available by the OLA.
    Frame Requirements
    ANSI Z87.1-1989ANSI Z87.1-2003Test Requirements

Test Requirements

None

Spectacle Frame Test

Designed to test the ability of the frame to retain a lens upon impact and to evaluate the strength of the temples and/or sideshields.
    • Retained is defined as no more than 25% separation of the lens periphery from the frame.
    High Mass Impact Test

High Mass Impact Test

17.6 oz. pointed projectile dropped from a height of 51.2 in.
    • Should not cause any parts or fragments of the protector to be ejected that could contact the eye of the head form.
    6.35mm (1/4 in.) steel ball traveling at 45.7m/s (150 ft/s)
    • No contact with the eye of the head form is allowed.
    • No piece shall be detached from the inner surface of any spectacle component.
    • The lens shall be retained in the frame.
    High Velocity Impact Test

High Velocity Impact Test

1/4 in. steel ball traveling at 150 ft/s (102mph)
    • No contact with the eye of the head form is allowed as a result of the impact.
    • No parts or fragments of the protector may be ejected that could contact the eye of the head form.
    6.35mm (1/4 in.) steel ball traveling at 45.7m/s (150 ft/s)
    • No contact with the eye of the head form is allowed.
    • No piece shall be detached from the inner surface of any spectacle component.
    • The lens shall be retained in the frame.
    Lens Retention

Safety spectacles available with removable and non-removable lenses must meet High Mass Impact and High Velocity Impact tests.
    Same test requirements.
    Test Lens Thickness

Test Lens Thickness
    • Test lenses for frames designed for Non-plano spectacles shall be 3.00mm thick.
    • Plano lenses shall be 3.00mm thick except lenses that can pass the High Velocity Impact Test. These lenses can be 2.00mm thick.
    • The test lens shall be 2.00mm +0.2mm, -0.0mm thick.
    Frame Marking

All major spectacle components shall bear a manufacturer's trademark and shall be marked Z87 to indicate compliance with the standard.
    • In addition, fronts shall be marked with the "A" dimension (eye size) and the "DBL" (distance between lenses).
    • Temples shall be marked with their overall length.
    Spectacle frames intended for non-plano lenses shall be marked with the manufacturer's mark or symbol and "Z87-2."
    • In addition, fronts shall be marked with the "A" dimension (eye size) and "DBL" (distance between lenses).
    • Temples shall be marked with their overall length.
    Sideshields
    (if sideshields are employed)

Lateral coverage is checked with a point of rotation at the corneal vertex.
    • The sideshield shall be impacted 10mm above and 10mm below the plane of the eyes of the head form at the 90º rotated angle.
    Lateral protection shall be assessed using a rotation point 10mm behind the corneal vertex.
    • The sideshield shall be impacted 10mm above and 10mm below the plane of the eyes of the head form at the 90º rotated angle.
    Warning Label
    None required
    If the finished protector only meets the Basic Impact Standard, it is the responsibility of the laboratory to attach a Warning Label.

This warning is designed to inform the wearer of the impact limitations of the lenses and must state that it is to be removed only by the wearer.These labels are available from the OLA.
    Flammability
    Enforced standard to Section 15.3. The spectacles shall not continue to burn after exposure to a 50mm (2 in.) flame from a 10mm (.394 in.) Bunsen burner for one second.
    The apparatus and procedure as specified in ASTM test method D635-98 shall be used to determine the flammability of plastic components. Alternatively, certification of the material used by the source of supply is acceptable. The material shall not burn at a rate greater than 76mm (3 in.) per minute.
    Corrosion
    Metal parts are boiled in a 10% aqueous solution of sodium chloride for 15 min. then immersed in the same solution at room temperature, removed and allowed to dry for 24 hrs. The metal parts are then rinsed in lukewarm water and allowed to dry. The function of the spectacles shall not be impaired by the corrosion.
    No change in the requirements for metal parts.

Lenses and electrical parts are excluded from these requirements.

Cleanability

After cleaning, the function of the spectacles shall not be impaired.
    All markings shall stay permanently affixed and readable.
    ANSI Z87.1-2003 Frame Test Requirements
    Testing should be performed by trained personnel using properly calibrated and maintained equipment. Suppliers of frames marked Z87-2 should be able to provide access to test documentation.
    This information is provided as a service by Titmus Optical, Inc., the OLA (Optical Laboratories Association), and COLTS Laboratories.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    We do a whole lot of safety eyewear. Most are polycarbonate SV Transition. Most are also within the realm of SV Finished stock lenses. We get 2.0 safety finish blanks in clear from Vision-Ease. But I still have to surface each pair of Transitions. I really need a 2.0 safety photochromic finish product for safety eyewear. It would save me appx. 25% of my surface work.

Any ideas?
    Try X-cel

http://www.x-celoptical.com/

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Harry. I knew the lens stuff but never saw the section on frames I always wondered what made a frame "safety" other than the z87 stamp

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    Thanks Harry.

Well, you can call me Harry, OPTIDONN, Ziggy, Lensgrinder, TheDude, or whoever else comes to mind.

My name is Fezz, but I have been called much worse ( and that was by my Mom!).

:D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Well, you can call me Harry, OPTIDONN, Ziggy, Lensgrinder, TheDude, or whoever else comes to mind.

My name is Fezz, but I have been called much worse ( and that was by my Mom!).

:D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D

so sorry I had just read a post by Harry C in another thread that was still on my mind. now i owe you two beers. total red faced embarrassment.:cheers: :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    now i owe you two beers.:cheers: :cheers:

Sheeesh, just two? My poor feelings are REALLY HURT

Make it THREE beers and I will feel better! ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

My name is Fezz, but I have been called much worse ( and that was by my Mom!).:D
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :D
    Wow, this is what you do when you don't sleep. How long did that post take you?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sheeesh, just two? My poor feelings are REALLY HURT

Make it THREE beers and I will feel better! ;)
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Finished Phoenix (Trivex) lenses have been shipping for about 6 months now, but only in dresswear thickness. I believe that Finished Polycarbonate Transitions is just now being introduced into the market, and it is doubtful that there is enough demand for it to be in safety thickness. I'm also not aware of safety thickness Transitions products in 1.50 index.

So you'll have to keep surfacing for now.
    RT

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Jacqui. Tried X-Cel and got one good lead.

Anybody out there want to make them? I believe that there would actually be a pretty good market in both safety and non-safety markets.

Thread Information