Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Mock My Ideas

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Please Mock My Ideas

Hi all. I was lucky to find this site and am looking forward to hearing your feedback on what I'm doing. Please don't pull punches; I'm in it to make money and my self-esteem is fine. Okay, here's the situation:
    I have been hired by an Ophthalmologist to manage the optical/dispensary side of the business. There is room for only 300 (give or take) frames, and they've been selling 80% low-end with a few semi-midrange (selling for 150-180) frames thrown in. They hired me specifically to upgrade the lines and increase sales, but realistically we can't sell Fendi, DG, etc.
    They also want me to bring in more business, but we're in a medical building outside a hospital, so that's another post...anyway, here's my plan...
    * For medicare and other patients who won't spend a dime over what's covered by insurance, I plan on having two frameboard rows (14 deep), one men's and one women's. Decent quality so we don't have returns, but I want them to look stupid so people won't want them.
    * For men, heavy on titanium and flex. Most of our patients are old, so until we can drum up some younger business, staying away from the really trendy stuff.
    * For women, Vera Wang to be featured, along with other lines about the same price point.
    * We have few children in there, so I figure a free-standing display of 10 or so each boys/girls, ALL names like scooby-doo, etc.
    Basically, my plan is sell materials and construction to the men, brands and fashion to the women, and average frame price about 150-200.
    Lenses...another post.
    Any feedback/ideas would really be appreciated! With such a limited space, its difficult to make sure we're giving patients what they need while also showing them stuff they might not have had a chance to try yet.
    Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After re-reading the original post.....I decline comment and help.
    Last edited by Fezz; 03-04-2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Re-read original post. No need to help this atitude.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mitchell View Post
    ... For Medicare and other patients who won't spend a dime over what's covered by insurance, I plan on having two frameboard rows (14 deep), one men's and one women's. Decent quality so we don't have returns, but I want them to look stupid so people won't want them.
    Aren't you concerned that these cost conscious patients will look elsewhere if they don't like any of your "budget frames" ..?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    but I want them to look stupid so people won't want them.
    PS. Thats one hell of a sorry statement. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Occupation

Not the way to upgrade the lines and increase sales

Hi all. I was lucky to find this site and am looking forward to hearing your feedback on what I'm doing. Please don't pull punches; I'm in it to make money and my self-esteem is fine. Okay, here's the situation:
    I have been hired by an Ophthalmologist to manage the optical/dispensary side of the business. There is room for only 300 (give or take) frames, and they've been selling 80% low-end with a few semi-midrange (selling for 150-180) frames thrown in. They hired me specifically to upgrade the lines and increase sales, but realistically we can't sell Fendi, DG, etc.
    They also want me to bring in more business, but we're in a medical building outside a hospital, so that's another post...anyway, here's my plan...
    * For medicare and other patients who won't spend a dime over what's covered by insurance, I plan on having two frameboard rows (14 deep), one men's and one women's. Decent quality so we don't have returns, but I want them to look stupid so people won't want them.
    * For men, heavy on titanium and flex. Most of our patients are old, so until we can drum up some younger business, staying away from the really trendy stuff.
    * For women, Vera Wang to be featured, along with other lines about the same price point.
    * We have few children in there, so I figure a free-standing display of 10 or so each boys/girls, ALL names like scooby-doo, etc.
    Basically, my plan is sell materials and construction to the men, brands and fashion to the women, and average frame price about 150-200.
    Lenses...another post.
    Any feedback/ideas would really be appreciated! With such a limited space, its difficult to make sure we're giving patients what they need while also showing them stuff they might not have had a chance to try yet.
    Thanks.
    I don't think you are going about it in the right way at all. They asked you to upgrade the lines and your solution is to put in Kate Spade and Vera Wang? For men you are using technology only which means usually double bars and less attractive frames in general. I see no mention at all about sunglasses which could really boost your profits and as a medical office every patient needs sunglasses to protect from UV A,B and C.

Why "realistically" can you not sell Fendi but you can sell Kate Spade.

Just a few comments.

Rep

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmitchel
    but I want them to look stupid so people won't want them.
    I agree with Fezz on this one, especially when their are a bunch of decent looking lines out there that could fit this budget conscious group. The effect isn't going to be that they upgrade, the effect is going to be that they tak their business elsewhere and that limited board space you have with a selection of horrible looking frames will make the rest of your board look stupid.

If the space is limited then limit the number of these frames, but meke them the best low end that you can find, that way you are provideing this patient the best of what you can gve them and you are limiting the space for these frames, because they don't make business sense. This patiet is more likely to buy the frames from you and potentially upgrade plus the frames fit with rest of your frames and won't bring down the overall look.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To those who were offended...Wal Mart and others can offer a large selection of frames for people who can't afford to spend anything over what insurance covers.
    I would love to offer a huge selection of frames for medicare patients, the thing is I have very limited space. The doctor I work for is so honest, he tells patients who need readers to "go to the dollar store" rather than spending an arm and a leg, so no one where I work is out to screw people.
    We can't make money catering to those who can't afford anything more than what medicare will cover. If we can't make money, they get NO frames from us because we're out of business.
    I may be blunt, but I'm honest...I'd ask those who are so disgusted to tell us what they are doing for the poor. Are you running your dispensary at a loss, funding it with your own money, so you can give medicare patients their fendis?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...as to concerned about losing them as customers, they cost us money if they buy the dirt cheap frames/lenses. Unlike many ultra-super-duper opticians I know, I have to look at the cost of doing business. My time/salary, the rent, all that stuff they didn't have on the abo test...
    You can look at your frame book and congratulate yourself on your margin, but I could sell 1-cent candy for 50 cents, one per day...great margin, but I ain't gonna pay the bills, now am I?
    I just went back and read recent posts, and it's all clear...you post here, you get attacked by opticians who are more concerned with the inticracies of slab-off than actually selling glasses.
    Sorry I bothered.

Occupation
    Mr Mitchell,

Again, I don't think your idea of disgusting them away with ugly frames is going to acomplish the goals you are looking for. I am suggesting instead of lowering the quality of the frame you offer them, lower the number of frames that you offer them so that if they want more vaiety they have to upgrade. This way you turn them into profitable customers and you don't lower the integrity of your frame boards.

The idea of turning away any customer will never work, your goal should be to turn the existing customers that you are saying are not profitable into profittable customers. Actually many on this board have iven away a pair of glasses to customers that can't afford it now and again. Charity is good for business, it doesn't mean give the house away, but every now and again if you were to give a pair or two away to the right people it will draw in more customers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. Mitchell

I would be more than happy to share dispensary inventory ideas and suggestions with you. But, you are going about this all wrong. To want to make a potential patient look stupid, is not good business. Period. I have plenty of ideas on how to run a very profitable dispensary. I run one every day. If you could look at things differently, open your mind to some new ideas, well...I can help. But to want to make a patient feel stupid because maybe they can not afford what you have to offer is out of line and unprofessional to say the least. I think your statement about posting here and being "attacked by opticians who are more concerned with the intricacies of slab-off than selling glasses" is untrue also. If that was directed toward me personally, I take offense. If it was meant toward my fellow Optiboarders, I take offense. You said to "please don't pull any punches", well sir I haven't.

Now do you want our help or not? Are you willing to open your mind up and look at things differently or not? This board has a wealth of knowledgeable Opticians, Optometrists, Ophthalmologists, Lab Techs, Lens Manufacturers, Frame Reps, Lens Reps, Old-Timers and Newbies all eager to help a fellow optical professional out. You are an optical professional, right?
    Last edited by Fezz; 03-04-2007 at 04:58 PM.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Hey, Mr Mitchell . . . .

whatever happened to that thick skin?!? I'm a discounter and there's no shame in my game. We found it was easier to work a 3 tier system. Insurance would cover our base, a little money moves them up one step and they can spend more and get more. I buy they best looking and most durable frames I can in all price points. Don't be a bait and switch, do it honest. 60% of the stock in our stores is within our advertised price range. 40% is what we call better stock. Of course we show 1000 to 1500 frames, not 300. I still believe that the system is sound though. Take 200 spots, create a base of 60, take 70 that costs $25.00 more and another 70 that costs $25.00 more than that. Spread the other 100 slots out to cover to whatever you feel your top end is going to be. Gives you a good mix and will give you a shot at making $25.00 to $50.00 off of every client and look like a hero. Better than looking like a grinch by limiting their choices.

Everyone wants to have choices even if their income is limited. If you treat these people with respect and like they were family then they will be your advertising. Medicare means retired. They have senior groups and functions. Get them to pass out your cards. Ask for the referal at every dispense. Let them know that doing this is important to you and that you appreciate it.

My rap goes, "Maam, if you're happy with the quality of the service you've recieved here I would appreciate it if you would tell your friends and neighbors. As a discounter I have to make alot of glasses to keep the doors open so if you could pass out these cards I'd appreciate it. You write your name on the back of the card and I'll make sure they get the same good service that you have. Thank you so much!"

With this approach it won't matter that you're in a medical building. You become known as they guy who takes care of seniors and they'll come to you. Just make sure that you treat them the same way you'd want someone to treat your favorite Aunt or Uncle.

Good luck to you!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Offer to help

Dear Mr. Mitchell-

I would add to my above post:

I would be more than willing to meet with you at your office and sit and evaluate your frame boards, lens companies, wholesale buying practices, strengths and weaknesses and offer my help and suggestions. I will bring examples of frame lines that I think will work better, I will offer lens solutions that I think will work better, and I offer any training and eduction resource that I can gather to help you. I do this out of respect for our chosen profession and for the betterment of your situation. Sir, my optical world is much more than slab-off prisms and equations. My optical world is helping people, and the education and betterment of those who have chosen this profession. I just ask that you open your mind, change your thinking a bit and listen to the help and ideas that we on Optiboard can give you with an open mind.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Guys and gals, I LOVE the idea of giving free frames (or eating any extra cost for a frame someone needs) to those who can't afford.
    I say things a certain way because I despise phoniness--people who say they care about the poor because they buy frames at (won't mention the cost) and sell for 50 bucks or whatever, meanwhile making a huge markup and selling crap that will corrode, break, etc.
    I shouldn't have been so abrasive and I apologize. My concern is, if I have a lot of "value" frames that look the same as my good frames, most consumers won't be able to tell the difference. They'll buy the cheap stuff and no one wins.
    I can sell, but I can't expect every customer to appreciate the difference in materials, etc., between frames that might appear identical. When I said "stupid frames" I guess i meant, frames that are obviously different from the others we are selling.
    I do appreciate the people here--you're more experienced in many cases, and you care about your patients. I'm in a tough position--my boss cares so much about the patients he's been losing money in the optical. I don't want to be a *******, but I know something has to change.
    Again, apologies for being blunt; I have promised to make more money for a very ethical and good man, and I'm worried that if I have great-looking frames for cheap, why would anyone buy the good stuff?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, to Fezz...if you're a vendor, and you really care about patients as well as the doctor (i.e., you're not gonna offer me kickbacks) I'd love to meet you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MR. M-

I am not a vendor. I am a down in the trenches, scratching, clawing and fighting my way thru this optical world Optician. My offer stands. You name the time and place, and the first rounds on me. Welcome aboard.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really appreciate you all not just banning me, I guess I did sound a prick. Anyway...Harry is too smart, I couldn't consult with him because really he should be running a lab...a large lab...and that's not what I do.
    Fezz, I don't know how the PM stuff works, but if it does work I'll PM you number and all, and buy dinner for you if you really would enjoy throwing ideas around. I've made money for retailers, now I'm in a new area and would love the comraderie/feedback.
    I really do want to help the patients, again it's about available space and of course staying afloat.
    BTW, my own mother said I'm being a greedy insensitive prick re: medicare glasses, so I'm willing to change my mind.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PM stuff is easy. Believe me, if I can do it...anybody can. For example: move your pointer to my name in the heading of this post. It should get highlighted(may have to click)move pointer down under name and private message to should show up click that and a message board/e-mail type screen apprears. Type away and when finished typing go down to submit, click and now you did a PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Forgot to thank Framebender for the good advice. It's just so hard with such limited space!

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think I PM'd you, Fezz, but then again I thought I didn't sound like a complete jerk/idiot with original post, so my judgement is suspect ; ).
    Again thanks to Harry, FB, etc, for helping out, and I'd love to hear further ideas on what you would do in this situation...I'd ask about specific vendors, but...actually I'll post this question...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. Mitchell

If you want to increase profitability of your dispensary you shouldn't try to cater to everybody, but rather specialize in something new that isn't offered by the competition. Be the big fish in the small pond.

What you describe is a little minnow trying to figure out how to swim with the sharks.

Remember Bob Marley's advice:

"These are the big fish
    Who always try to eat down
    The small fish, just the small fish
    They would do anything
    To materialize their every wish
    Oh yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah"

LL

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

:idea: Fezz, since you are so kind and meeting up with Mr. Mitchell, be sure to help him out with teaching/training his M.D. about what the M.D. "should" be saying to the patients vs. what the M.D. is saying now.

Otherwise, Mr. Mitchell will "always" be in a very tuff position.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If you're worried about only have room for 300 frames, which depending on how many patients actually come through the location may be enough, why not use something like a frame cabinet or get some nice P.O.S. frame boxes that you can keep alot more styles in. This business is all about changing with the environment. I am sure you can come up with some creative ways to display or just have on hand more styles than you will need. Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jim is right.

300 frame spaces may be just right. Until you know or have an idea about turn rate, don't think your hands are tied with "only" 300 spots. You would be surprised at how many frames can be displayed in a small footprint with the proper display units.

Occupation
    There was a good post a while back about frame inventory:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...0&postcount=12

I don't personally put so much stock in designer lines, but you do want a designer look. Deal with frame companies that have quality merchandise and start to track the trends in your office and make decisions based on what works in your office. My only other advise is to talk to your doctor and let him know that talking shop is not his specialty and could only do harm to the optical. For example if you say something conflicting to what your doctor said about frame or lenses, the patient is mroe likley to walk because they usually trust in the doctor. If your doctor learns to pass any question about optical to you because you are the professional then the doctors trust in your abilities allows you to start the relationship with a leg up. It is this trust that will help you to easily offer options and upgrades and have the patients take them seriously. Many office suffer from this same issue, if you can work together as a team and you learn the art of the hand off, you should do well. Oh, and Fezz let me know when and I'll pick you up on the way to NJ, we need to find a designated driver though. :cheers:

Thread Information