Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Supercede vs Succeed Internal Free-Form

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Question Seiko Supercede vs Succeed Internal Free-Form

Had anyone fit the Supercede and Succeed Lenses? They are both Internal Free-Form Lenses, but why is there price different? If I am fitting for a 20mm seg ht., which lenses should I go for? Would Supercede better?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does Supercede, Proceed the Succeed?

:D

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The only different I know is that...

Superced Internal Free-Form has minimum fitting height of 14mm

Succeed Internal Free-From has minimum fitting height of 17mm

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Different Freeform designs

Fezz said:
    Does Supercede, Proceed the Succeed?
    I think the difference has a great deal to do with the Seiko Optical marketing plans. The Supercede is only available in Canada at this time.

It is presented a different lens design. Differences in coridor lengths in the designs (approx. 1mm). The way the add power is addressed.

When so few opticians know anything about one freeform design from a company it is very confusing to have multiple designs.

To work with individualized lenses you need to find a provider who can answer your questions about their designs so that they are properly fitted. As with any PAL, poor fitting causes major problems.

Excalibur
    We routinely use both designs, and they work very well. Supercede has a shorter minimum fitting ht.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    Fezz said:

I think the difference has a great deal to do with the Seiko Optical marketing plans. The Supercede is only available in Canada at this time.

It is presented a different lens design. Differences in coridor lengths in the designs (approx. 1mm). The way the add power is addressed.

When so few opticians know anything about one freeform design from a company it is very confusing to have multiple designs.

To work with individualized lenses you need to find a provider who can answer your questions about their designs so that they are properly fitted. As with any PAL, poor fitting causes major problems.
    I wear and use the Succeed lens....it is the best progressive lens that I've ever worn. Previously I have worn Panamic, Physio and Physio 360.
    I have been told that the Superceed is even better than the Succeed. Apparently it's like having an extra +.25 add in your reading area it is so clear.
    I plan to have a pair to trial in the next few weeks.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    While Succeed is an excellent lens Supercede is absolute state of the art. Supercede has a totally compensated aspheric reading and intermediate area. It might be the best progressive lens in the market today.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Delete this post.
    Last edited by Metronome; 07-14-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Delete this post.

Occupation
    Yes Succed is good, but Supercede is definately better. The reading and intermediate is vastily improved. Physio is a very good lens but not as good as Supercede, not even close. Because of the Seiko patent Essilor has to split the progressive between the front and back side. When the progressive is put strictly on the back the lens is far superior. That is why Seiko patented this technology about 15 years ago

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah, Seiko's got the patent for back-side, Shamir's got the patent for the back-side, Rodenstock has the patent for the back side...I've heard them all.

Occupation
    But only Seiko is made in Canada. Im wearing Supercede and it is the best progreessive I have ever worn.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Delete this post.
    Last edited by Metronome; 07-14-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Delete this post.

Occupation
    I am not sure about in the US but both designs are available in Canada. While Supercede is the best I have ever worn, Succeed is definately better than any conventional front side progressive. Succeed is less expensive so that would probably be the reason some dispensers use it.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Patent license

Lensman2007 said:[QUOTE][That is why Seiko patented this technology about 15 years ago/QUOTE]

The US patent was issued in February of 2000, and Seiko-Epson filed for the US patent in 1997.

The patent still has a good deal of life left in it. It is not 15 years old. Seiko-Epson has been producing backside designed lenses for about 12 to 15 years.

drk said:
    Yeah, Seiko's got the patent for back-side, Shamir's got the patent for the back-side, Rodenstock has the patent for the back side...I've heard them all.
    The fact is the Shamir patent is different than the Seiko-Epson patent and it was issued in 2003 I believe.

The First Issued US patent related to backside PALs with spherical front surfaces was granted to Seiko-Epson in 2000.
    drk- "Heard them all." And actually looking them up on at www.uspto.gov are two different methods of obtaining information. A sales rep is probably relating what he has been told by his marketing department.

Occupation
    Being from Canada I am not aware of the US patent situation. But I am pretty sure that Seiko developed this technology in Japan in the early 1990's. Regardless, I have worn countless designs and these are far and above the best lenses I have ever worn.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

No patent issue in Canada

lensman2007 said:
    Being from Canada I am not aware of the US patent situation.
    You are correct, to my knowledge there are no patent problems with backside designs in Canada. I guess large multi-national companies think in terms of protecting the largest markets and assume may of the smaller markets like Canada will follow.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Doesn't back-side design affect the edges thickness of the lenses?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Freeform lens thickness

susu_k said:
    Doesn't back-side design affect the edges thickness of the lenses?
    A good backside designed freeform lens does effect the edge thickness when compared to a traditional cast frontside lens.

Also of note to properly produce a freeform lens you must know how to manage the data that is used to make the calculations. This means two labs offering the same freeform products could actually produces lenses with different edge thicknesses, but with the same basic lens design.

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

which coating

I see that seiko is supply by a indepent lab here in Canada but my question is What RF coating can you use on it?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by C-10 View Post
    I see that seiko is supply by a indepent lab here in Canada but my question is What RF coating can you use on it?
    Any coating that you want although Plastic Plus has an ABE policy in place so they will recommend UTMC product....oh ABE = Anything But Essilor. lol

Regards,
    Golfnorth

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Any coating that you want although Plastic Plus has an ABE policy in place so they will recommend UTMC product....oh ABE = Anything But Essilor. lol

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    See that is the problem. I have used UTMC and I have used CHC (as another lab we may know of pushes hard) and they do not stand up in the way that Crizal or Super Hi-Vision does.

It may be a good lens, but if I cannot trust the coating then it is worthless.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    See that is the problem. I have used UTMC and I have used CHC (as another lab we may know of pushes hard) and they do not stand up in the way that Crizal or Super Hi-Vision does.

It may be a good lens, but if I cannot trust the coating then it is worthless.
    Please re-read my post. You can get ANY AR coating on the Seiko progressives. If asked for a recommendation Plastic Plus may mention the UTMC product first but that doesn't mean that you cannot get an Essilor coating. Plastic Plus' order forms have AR caotings listed from ALL companies Essilor included.
    I hope this clarifies my earlier post.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if plastic plus offers UMTC on the the lenses will they warranty a essilor coating on the lens

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been approached by one of our labs to an introductory deal for the seiko succeed. They are apparently purchasing the equipment to process the succeed on site and are offering a deal to a few opticals to introduce the lens. We have to commit to a min. of 10 prs a month and in return they will comp us back 50%. While this is a yummy deal on the outside, it's not worth having 10 people a month coming back with issues. So, from what I'm hearing here, it sounds like the lens is worth the gamble, right? Another thing I liked about it was that while it comes with AR, we can request it without.

Occupation
    It is a no brainer. You are being offered a state of the art lens with a huge discount. You will have virtually no dissatisfied patients with Seiko.

Thread Information