Thread: Strategy for the future

Occupation
    Optometrist

Strategy for the future

I think there is a conflence of trends that can be analyzed for the future of eye care delivery.

Before the trends, though, the fundamental facts:
    1.) Money preceeds power (in the free market).
    2.) Professionalism is one pole on a continuum, and capitalism is another pole on the continuum.
    3.) It's all about ownership.

Trend One: Economic might
    A.) "Outside" money continues to enter the health care delivery system. By "outside", I mean mass merchandizers, insurance companies, online entities, even lens manufacturers and frame manufacturers (who have been part of the eye care industry for awhile...). They have inheirent power because they have money.

B.) Individual professionals' only advantage is legislative power. To date, society has valued professionalism to a high degree--so much so that professionalism is ensured by goverment law.

What economic power that professionals had in the past is miniscule compared to the economic might of the "outsiders", if I may call them that.

Trend Two: Changing scope of practice amongst the players in eye care health delivery

A.) Ophthalmology is not "legislated into existence" like optometry and opticianry is. They're not limited in their scope.

Ophthalmology's issue is dealing with remibursment form third parties and how to offer non-covered services that are "fee for service". They love refractive surgery, the advances in IOL technology, and increasingly, opticals.

B.) Optometry's scope is going to continue to evolve: the laws are in effect, it's just a matter of "phasing out the old, and phasing in the new".

Optometry's issue is to move solidly forward as an alternative to general ophthalmology. If the insurer's don't block it, it will happen, guaranteed. Optometry is a "hot" profession right now, generally, and the market is going to be flooded with wave after wave of new graduated ODs.

C.) Opticianry has a great opportunity in front of it, IMO. First of all, opticianry is underrepresented and underfunded as a profession. This will not change, regardless of educational improvements.

You need economic power. After that, everything else will come: more money for better licensure legislation; better education, etc.

You must realize that it's really the professionals vs. the "outsiders". Realize that your profession may not be strong enough to stand alone in the face of the "maturization" of this industry.

Professional opticians (one at a time, not as a unified whole) must cut deals with optometry and ophthalmology: you want to be an independent professional service within another independent professional service. In other words, you have to approach ODs and MDs and set up arrangements where you have equity ownership of an optical service (without fee-splitting). That means you will run a business located within a business. Obviously, there will be an overhead fee to pay, and it will be very steep.

If it can be done in the reverse by bringing an optometry practice within your optical, even better for you.

As an analogy, chains hire "independent practices of optometry" to operate within their overhead framework. That concept would work in reverse: optometrists and OMDs could be enticed to allow an "independent practice of opticianry" within their overhead framework with access to the patient base.

In summary, professionals have to work together to counterbalance the business forces that are, quite frankly, outcompeting opticianry to a large degree, optometry to a substantial degree, and is mostly an income drain only on ophthalmology.

It's that, or employment like the pharmacists. While that's not bad, necessarily, overseeing Rx drugs is a lot more secure than overseeing Rx vision correcting devices.
    Last edited by drk; 02-19-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pure garbage

Professional opticians (one at a time, not as a unified whole) must cut deals with optometry and ophthalmology: you want to be an independent professional service within another independent professional service. In other words, you have to approach ODs and MDs and set up arrangements where you have equity ownership of an optical service (without fee-splitting). That means you will run a business located within a business. Obviously, there will be an overhead fee to pay, and it will be very steep. drk

As long as Opticians are willing to deal with the people who have the money to spend they will do very well. And I do mean wheel and deal. Whatever it takes to make the sale."You look ,you buy".
    Any time you "cut a deal" with any eye doc you will get screwed, if not at first in the end.
    This business will offer more opprotunities for independent opticians who know their stuff.
    Think I'll stick around a few more years just to prove my point.
    If I was real close to you I would make it tough for you to even sell glasses and show enough profit to pay "good" help.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ya right

"In summary, professionals have to work together ."drk

Never have, never will. Greed divides.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bingo!

"If it can be done in the reverse by bringing an optometry practice within your optical, even better for you." drk

As long as OD"s can make $500 to $1200 a day refracting beside a busy independent optical they will be available.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The concept that it is getting harder for an independant anything to survive is true...whether you are in hardware, shoes, or optical. Big money corporations have put many a mom and pop out of business. Very few people have the will, desire, knowledge and money to succeed independantly. All four are necessary.

Instead of one independant trying to put another independant out of business, we should be collaborating.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I guess we can count Bill out, fjp

Bill, I wish I could go head-to-head with you, Mr. Superoptician. I have a built-in advantage: I draw patients for eye care services that you cannot provide.

Why not take advantage of that?

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Bills problem is that of all opticians. Without those pieces of paper with numbers on them, opticians are dead in the water. Eye care or not. Maybe someday they will allow opticians to refract. LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's not going to help opticianry. You can talk about it until you're blue in the face, but that's not going to drive patients into your offices.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Why not take advantage.............

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I
    I draw patients for eye care services that you cannot provide.
    drk is right............................ O + O + O = 100%

The 3 O's have to find a way to get together. There are many ways of doing it, as mentioned above.

MDs actually love to practice surgery medicine, but sell glasses to boost the profits.

OD's originally were not interested in manual optics, and many still have no finishing lab of their own and don't even do the little jobs like tinting and UV treatments. They used to be happy being the doctor who checked the eyes for visual and medical problems. Somehow they also went into selling the end product to boost profits.

Opticians if properly trained are the craftsmen to work the final product.

It makes sense that there has to be a cooperation between the optician and one of the two other O's.

If the optician does not have a supply of prescriptions he will not eat, while the 2 other O's continue to flourish, but very often do not sell a perfect end product because they and their staff lack the qualities an optician is supposed to have.

A commercial fusion of 2 of them or even better, of all three together under a financial arrangement that would keep all of the principals happy, one could assume that there would be a solution that could withstand the chain system as well as the imperialism of the big corporations.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thank you, Chris, and I agree completely. That is the formula for success.

Not that it's an easy road, but the only road.

Thread Information