Thread: How valuable is it to take the NCLE

Bad address email on file optician123's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How valuable is it to take the NCLE

I am considering taking the ncle in order to get licensed in the state of ohio. Is it worth pursing in regards to income? I appreciate your feed back.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any advanced certification you can add to your resume will help you in the long run, as well as the short. Many states, as they update their rules and regs, are requiring NCLE certification as a condition of licensure. North Carolina and Massachusetts are examples. More will follow.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is NCLE certificate worth the effort?

Quote Originally Posted by optician123 View Post
    I am considering taking the ncle in order to get licensed in the state of ohio. Is it worth pursing in regards to income? I appreciate your feed back.
    Better question is what is your income bargaining position without this NCLE?:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Educating yourself is priceless. The knowledge and experience will help you no matter how much or how little you make in salary. But, I have seen more and more that this industry is caring less and less about what experience and certification you have. It seems that more experience and certifications are more detrimental to your payscale!

Remember, its not an optical business anymore, its a sales, sales, sales, and more sales environment. You may be deemed "over qualified" and not worthy of a salary higher than a newbie at McDonalds.

Do it for yourself. Improve because you want to. Don't let the motivation of salary dictate your decision.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Many states, as they update their rules and regs, are requiring NCLE certification as a condition of licensure. North Carolina and Massachusetts are examples. More will follow.
    If you are going to take the State Board Exam, North Carolina does not require the NCLE. If you take and pass the NCLE within three years of sitting for your exam then you will not have to sit for the Contact Lens written portion, but you still have eight more parts. It is not required to be licensed though.
    This does not take away the fact that it will help with your resume'.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Take it!

optician 123,

Take the NCLE, just think of the knowledge you will gain from studying.

Also, think about it this way, if you do not pass (I know, not so positive, sorry) you can then sit back and re-evaluate yourself and your knowledge and strive to do better.

Make a difference, BE the better Optician. Don't just sit there and just do what you know. Earn some credit for yourself!

I for one didn't need to take the NCLE since I no longer live in the United States. But I did. I gained more knowledge and also it helped me remember things that I had forgotten. Now, I am going to aim for the advance certifications in the states. Do I need them, NO! But continuing my education is a must for this field.

Think BIG, be BIG:cheers:

Thread Information