Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm still waiting...

Occupation
    Optometrist

I'm still waiting...

Hey, Luxottica:

I'm still waiting for all the patients to bang down my doors asking for frame brands that you have been so heavily promoting. I can't wait for my business to take off from all your advertising.

Thanks again, and please do hurry!

Sincerely,
    drk,
    Independent

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thought you dumped Luxottica!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Hey, Luxottica and please do hurry!...........................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Hey, Luxottica:
    and please do hurry!

Sincerely,
    drk,
    Independent
    drk.............are you starting a new Luxottica basher thread ????????????

I hope its not going to backfire on you like last weeks Costco basher.

:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whats up with this guy?

Always looking to mix things up!

Looking for trouble he is.

I LOVE IT. KEEP 'EM COMING DRK!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lord knows I love a good Luxxotica BBQ, but there service has been much better the first quarter of this year. Frames are not always on BO and the customer service people actually have information. We do well with the Versace line as well as Versus.

Occupation

Big Smile A Lux retail store next door............................

Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    We do well with the Versace line as well as Versus.

In true bashing mode.............................................

Every time you sell one of above mentioned models you are getting an inch closer of having a Lux retail store next door. :D

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation

Question

DRK

So how will anyone know you have the heavily promoted frame brands if you do not tell them with your advertising? The grocery store still promotes Crest toothpaste to let the consumer know where to purchase it. You can not assume the consumer knows what you have to sell, how good you or that you are priced fairly if you do not tell them.

I'm still waiting for all the patients to bang down my doors asking for frame brands that you have been so heavily promoting. I can't wait for my business to take off from all your advertising.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Aw, I'm just stirring up the pot.

I read Vision Monday's 20 yr anniversary edition, and Luxottica's guy was smooth talking about how much "wholesale" business they do, and how important it is to them...

...and I remember the storyline that "Lux was going to leverage brand names to drive consumers to the store". Baloney. I haven't seen as much as one ad for Prada or Rayban or something.

I admit, I do have Rayban. I feel dirty, but I can't seem to replace them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    drk, I don't think they are advertising in those dirty magazines at this time!

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hey, Luxottica:

Sincerely,
    drk,
    Independent
    Brand names alone will not bring you the business. If you don't advertise you need your customers doing it for you!

Luxottica was up over 30% in wholesale in 2006. UP 36% in January (US) 2007. All because of the brands! I have been an AG rep for 13 years. In March I am changing to the POLO division because of the demand for branded product. The quality and the demand for a brand is important. Not all brands are equal!

Brands are ruling the market ! and Not just for Luxottica.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Sorry your missing out on the phone calls..............

Hey, Luxottica:

Sincerely,
    drk,
    Independent
    I opened two Burburry and one Dolce & Gabbana accounts today. They had over 5 calls each in the last two weeks asking for these specific brands. One account told me he was just getting tired of saying no he didn't have them.

After reviewing the product, the Doc's are excited, the staff is excited and the opticians are blown away by the difference in styling.

That's what it's all about.

Congratulations Optirep - You will do great with Polo, Ralph and Chaps.

Rep

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, Luxottica:

Sincerely,
    drk,
    Independent
    Are you serious? Every indy shop, that I know of, who has signed a pack with the devil has got patients/ referals comming out thier ears.:bbg:
    ps. give your local Lux shop(LC Pearle Sears) and find out how many contact lens license optician on staff. If the answer is ZERO. call the state board
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation

Try picking up something besides 20/20

Aw, I'm just stirring up the pot.

I read Vision Monday's 20 yr anniversary edition, and Luxottica's guy was smooth talking about how much "wholesale" business they do, and how important it is to them...

...and I remember the storyline that "Lux was going to leverage brand names to drive consumers to the store". Baloney. I haven't seen as much as one ad for Prada or Rayban or something.

I admit, I do have Rayban. I feel dirty, but I can't seem to replace them.
    Yeah,

They only advertized in 14 different national magazines in October, November, and December, and that was just my lines.

These were not just designer brand advertising - these were models wearing Sunglasses and Ophthalmic frames.

And these names certainly aren't very big --------

Harpers Bazaar - G Armani, Lousi Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana and Versace, the first 10 pages.

Vogue - Louis Vuitton, Dior, Calvin K, Gucci, Marc Jacobs, YSL and Burberry the first 10 pages.

Rep

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    I opened two Burburry and one Dolce & Gabbana accounts today. They had over 5 calls each in the last two weeks asking for these specific brands. One account told me he was just getting tired of saying no he didn't have them.

After reviewing the product, the Doc's are excited, the staff is excited and the opticians are blown away by the difference in styling.

That's what it's all about.

Congratulations Optirep - You will do great with Polo, Ralph and Chaps.

Rep

Rep
    hmm... Interesting

I get the exact opposite. I am told frequently by people (including out of town, province, and country) that we carry the most fashionable frames, and I barely carry any "designer" brand names.

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

?????????????

Lets say one of the big frame vendors hired you as a VP. (And payed you big $$$$$) You were in charge of independent accounts.

Would you tell them to forget about selling brands and make frames like the small companies. Great quality different products that look just like the designers! You could tell the President that the company would be just like the small companies that don't sell many frames.

If you ran the business how would you do it? You can only change things on the wholesale side.
    How much would your sales be up after your changes?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optirep View Post
    Lets say one of the big frame vendors hired you as a VP. (And payed you big $$$$$) You were in charge of independent accounts.

Would you tell them to forget about selling brands and make frames like the small companies. Great quality different products that look just like the designers! You could tell the President that the company would be just like the small companies that don't sell many frames.

If you ran the business how would you do it? You can only change things on the wholesale side.
    How much would your sales be up after your changes?
    It is not about if we should or should not carry brand names. It is that the design/price point of the brand names are pathetic. Tommy Hilfiger did not make his millions by selling boring old jeans at a very expensive price. He made his millions being innovative, and because of that we were willing to pay the price.

Most brand name frames out there are nothing new, that are cheaply made (may not fall apart, but I have seen many with cheap paint, no spring hinges when needed, and too heavy for design). IF you want me to pay $30/$40 more for a frame it should be something better than the ones I am dealing with.

But you guys and others have just forgot about that and use brand name as an excuse to move product.

Occupation

Big Smile Hiding behind branded frames.......................

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    But you guys and others have just forgot about that and use brand name as an excuse to move product.
    Of the large manufacturers I believe Silhouette seems to be the only one left that bstill dares to put their company name on their frames.

All others hide behind a brand name on which they have to pay royalties.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm not saying that your are guilty of this, but...

Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    I opened two Burburry and one Dolce & Gabbana accounts today. They had over 5 calls each in the last two weeks asking for these specific brands. One account told me he was just getting tired of saying no he didn't have them. Rep
    Rep

Read the above post every carefully...

The next time you hear a rep say, "I'm not going to be on the road today; I'm going to stay home and make a few (maybe 5 each) calls to my accounts..." You'll know exactly (maybe) what they are talking about.

I''ve had calls (usually about 2 weeks before the rep comes to my area) about lines that I never had a desire to carry. And then, magically, a rep appears. Anyone else have a similar occurance?

What's the magic number for you? How many calls do you have to get, from folks asking for a line (yeah right), before you call the rep to come in?

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    With all the Lux bashing - why no Viva bashing (DavisVision, ECCA)? Why no Safilo bashing (Solstice, Loop)?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, I've never had a problem taking on the Evil Empire!

Before the Lux/Pearle merger, I was usually only mildly ticked at Luxottica...poor C.S., revolving door reps, etc.

When the merger took place, I decided to keep quite and give it a chance.

THAT WAS THEN........THIS IS NOW!!!!!!!!

Now that we Pearle franchises are all one part of one big happy Evil Empire, things have REALLY gone down hill.

Major case in point, availability of the ENTIRE Luxottica line. Before merger, I could get a Lux frame within 2-3 working days.....

Now, if I can get the frame at all, it takes weeks. I have been told so many times that certain frames have been discontinued, only to have a friend of mine in central Florida who has a private Lux account call up nad have that very same frame for me in just a couple of days.

The only thing greater than the Franchisees hatred of corporate Lux is corporate Lux's disdane and utter contempt for the Franchisees. Lux is now opening 'corporate' stores in the territories of franchisees and trying to spin this move as being good for the Franchisee. So far, at least three franchisees that I know who tried to sell their stores had Lux step in at the last minute and block the sale, only to have Lux buy the store at a price that Lux determines was fair!

Yes, the Evil Empire is alive and well and growing bigger and bigger every day!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    Yes, the Evil Empire is alive and well and growing bigger and bigger every day!
    As an independent I get to see and hear about a lot of this. It's not just Lux, but also Essilor, Zeiss/AO/Sola and Hoya and Safilo and........

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Read the above post every carefully...

The next time you hear a rep say, "I'm not going to be on the road today; I'm going to stay home and make a few (maybe 5 each) calls to my accounts..." You'll know exactly (maybe) what they are talking about.

I''ve had calls (usually about 2 weeks before the rep comes to my area) about lines that I never had a desire to carry. And then, magically, a rep appears. Anyone else have a similar occurance?

What's the magic number for you? How many calls do you have to get, from folks asking for a line (yeah right), before you call the rep to come in?
    I've had it happened more than just a few times!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bash away my opinionated friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    With all the Lux bashing - why no Viva bashing (DavisVision, ECCA)? Why no Safilo bashing (Solstice, Loop)?
    No!

Read the post very carefully.

The first 3 or 4 post were trying to implore DRK to change his bashing ways! (He'll never change, he's just got a rotten attitude;) ).

Out of the remaining posts, I think only 2 or 3 mentioned Lux by name.

What you have here is an attempted Lux-bashing thread that failed to pick up steam, and became a brand-name bashing thread.

I'll be happy to bash any other brand name you'd like to submit.
    Safilo ? Sure!

You know what I hate about Safilo? You never know how to pronounce it! Is it "Sa Fee Low", "Say Fa Low", "Saw Fi Low"? C'mon!!!

And while we're on it, what's with Sade? Where'd she ever get "Shar-day" out of THAT!?!

OK, now let the bashing continue!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I consider myself the Optiboard equivalent of a ranting talk show host. :) I'm good for ratings.

Seriously, though, I thought I heard my Lux reps say that THEY were going to advertise the brands, NOT ME. Oh well, I guess I will have to ask them again what my strategery should be, from here on out. This vertical integration thing is really going to help us all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails images.jpg  

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    drk, I don't think they are advertising in those dirty magazines at this time!
    I think you'd tell us if they were! :finger: :bbg:

Thread Information