Thread: Need Help W> Corning Orange For Mac Pt

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Need Help W> Corning Orange For Mac Pt

Hi everyone -

Wanted to know if you could direct me towards a listing and aval. of corning lens for pts -

I had a pt on sat - with Mac needing to his new rx filled - big change from prev - pr - however - wanted to find a list of these low vision tinted products and info on them - so i can gain some info for myself - as well as the pt -

I have ordered one years ago - however don't recall much about it -

MY current pt - wears glass - ( not sure if that tint comes in other materials - but he perfers to stay in glass -

rx -
    +300 with 6D out
    +2.25-2.25 x 90 with 2D in
    +300 OU

wanted to know what kind of experieces you have had - with turn around - and all -

thanks
    bt

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its been a while for me also. I seem to think that the only folks producing them for Corning is Winchester Optical. I cold be wrong and hopefully someone more up on this will steer you in the right direction.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Unless things have changed. . .

You should consider putting the lenses in a clip. They used to charge 100% for a redo and if you put it in a clip you can use different lenses for different tasks. Also the clip will still be good should the patients Rx change.

Good luck to you!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    If the patient wants glass, you should talk to X-cel Optical. X-cel makes most, if not all, of the specialized glass lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

CORNING LENS > LOW Vision

Thanks - I do have another ? -

this orange - corning lens used for these low vision pts -
    is this embedded in the glass - or

is this a tinting of such that can be applied to all the lenses - ?

pt is wearing glass - as i stated - and does not want to go into anyting else - nor a clip on will not be an option for him - due to his age - and ability to apply and remove the clip ons -

thanks again -
    bt

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Corning lenses are designed with particular transmission profiles that are designed to reduce glare. They are mostly photochromic and all are glass. Corning is the only company that makes them but most labs have an account with corning (as far as I'm aware Corning will not deal with retailers directly)

As most are photochromic, putting them in a clip may not be so useful as the vast majority of patients I have given these lenses to wear them full time, indoors and out. Prescription changing is rarely an issue as most who are wearing corning lenses will not notice a 0.50D change (remember, they are usually in the 20/200 range)

A similar colour in a plastic lens, even if your lab does a visual match, will not have the same transmission profile. As a result the lenses will not work as well. I have learned this through firsthand experience.

Speak with your lab. Expect a 4-6 week delay in the lenses. If you are going to do a lot of these lenses get a trial set that has 3-5 of the most common tints in clip-on frames to try them in office before ordering.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    We order our Corning lenses from Winchester. I second Ory's advice; get the trial kit. It allows you to clip-on the different tints for the patient to try out before ordering.

We ordered a pair of ST 35 in Corning 511 late November and (because there was a breakage) we received the job last week. Don't expect the job to arrive quickly...

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Corning CPF lenses trial sets. . . .

are all mounted in clips directly from Winchester (1-800-742-5273). We found it more useful to mount the lenses in clips since the tint that works indoors may not work outdoors and the patient may require a 3rd set if they have special hobbies. For instance the orange outdoor tint may need to be replaced by the high contrast yellow for reading. We also found that the neutral amber tint works best for some folks on overcast days.

Also, at 20/200 alot of them don't want to carry the weight of their full correction in glass. They're older, usually in larger frames and they tend to weigh a ton. I know that there have been other threads on these lenses so you might do a search.

Good luck to you!!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

? glass corning

hi everyone

was told by percribing md office - and they are saying the corning orange mac lens comes in plastic -

is this true = that you know of or have seen yourself ?

due to his 6 D of prism - their office said to get it in a plastic lens -
    i had asked if he actually needed a corning lens - or a comparable tint - and they perfferred corning for fiiltering issues - but this lens will certainly not be comfortable to wear - with its wt and all

bt

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    BPI does offer plastic dyes that are very similar in transmission to the Corning lenses - if CR-39 is an option, you might consider those simply for the sake of time. I've used them on countless occasions and never had a complaint from the prescribing MD. This is their information: http://www.callbpi.com/htm_cat/ther_tnt.htm and http://www.callbpi.com/pdf_misc/thera.pdf

If Corning is the way you want to go I'm going to agree wholeheartedly with Ory, mlm and Framebender. Expect a rather significant wait, don't order these through your normal lab - go directly to Winchester, and if you plan on doing even a little bit of low vision work, get the CPF trial kit from Winchester.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    winchester optical and corning lenses... It reminded me and who knows, you may run across a need for this info... so this is kinda off topic, but I know that they (Winchester Optical) also make a copy of the Serengeti Vermillion lens. My father loves it.. and it's the only place i can still get it.
    Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Winchester Lab

hi everyone -

does anyone have a homepage addy for Winchester - ?
    did a google search - and could not locate it -

thanks
    bt

Occupation
    You should maybe reconsider putting a low vision patient in glass? Safety reasons and all, I liked the clip and the BPI tint ideas the best.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    http://www.titmus.com/distributors/us/

scroll down to the bottom of the page - contact info there - (unfortunately, non website contact info)

:cheers: I found this link using Harry's optical search engine - :cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    You should maybe reconsider putting a low vision patient in glass? Safety reasons and all, I liked the clip and the BPI tint ideas the best.
    Harry, I've been supplying and fitting CPFs for over 15 years, and there just isn't any substitute. I can and have tinted what I consider to be exact colour replicas in CR39, but as far as the Pt is concerned, it just isn't the same as the Corning glass lenses. But yes, you are correct... there is a safety issue here

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Noble View Post
    Harry, I've been supplying and fitting CPFs for over 15 years, and there just isn't any substitute. I can and have tinted what I consider to be exact colour replicas in CR39, but as far as the Pt is concerned, it just isn't the same as the Corning glass lenses. But yes, you are correct... there is a safety issue here
    I agree that there isn't a substitute for CPF lenses.

There is a safety issue but one must compare the risks to the benefits. If a glass lens is the only thing that will improve vision you do it. I've fit bioptic telescopes that are much riskier but if they are worth the risk then you do it.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    I agree that there isn't a substitute for CPF lenses.

There is a safety issue but one must compare the risks to the benefits. If a glass lens is the only thing that will improve vision you do it. I've fit bioptic telescopes that are much riskier but if they are worth the risk then you do it.
    There is a substitute - I've used BPI therapeutic tints a number of times and never had a complaint. Therapeutics are not about color - you can't simply match color with any old tint and expect them to work. It's about color density and frequency supression - exactly how the Corning lenses work.

Another option is therapeutic coatings from a coating lab. The coating lab that my lab uses offers therapeutic coatings that can be used on any material (although they'll only certify it's effectiveness on CR39).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bt5050 View Post
    Hi everyone -

Wanted to know if you could direct me towards a listing and aval. of corning lens for pts -

I had a pt on sat - with Mac needing to his new rx filled - big change from prev - pr - however - wanted to find a list of these low vision tinted products and info on them - so i can gain some info for myself - as well as the pt -

I have ordered one years ago - however don't recall much about it -

MY current pt - wears glass - ( not sure if that tint comes in other materials - but he perfers to stay in glass -

rx -
    +300 with 6D out
    +2.25-2.25 x 90 with 2D in
    +300 OU

wanted to know what kind of experieces you have had - with turn around - and all -

thanks
    bt
    Chadwick Optical lab in vermont does plastic thereputic tints for all low vision needs.
    http://www.chadwickoptical.com

If you are going to use the BPI dyes they should be close it's the diamond dye and the correct wavelength of absorbtion. if you just tint a lens orange, it probably won't absorb the blue light correctly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Clips

Try e-clips,multirange of colors,quick turnaround.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper blue blocker

There are also several blue-blocker tints available on the market that will do the trick.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Its been a while for me also. I seem to think that the only folks producing them for Corning is Winchester Optical. I cold be wrong and hopefully someone more up on this will steer you in the right direction.
    You're right.

Here is Winchester's link for CPF information: http://www.winoptical.com/medical/ecp.htm

Occupation

Sorry for resurecting an old thread...

We're having serious issues with the quality of the Corning lenses coming from Winchester. The latest lenses came in with gaps between the lens and frame on both sides and some weird beveling that looks like a 10-year old did it.

Is there any other lab out there that will supply Corning lenses?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper right and wrong...............

Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    A similar colour in a plastic lens, even if your lab does a visual match, will not have the same transmission profile. As a result the lenses will not work as well. I have learned this through firsthand experience.
    You are right and wrong in the same post..............

Plastic lenses will work very well in those cases if properly tinted......plus you have many more choices in the color range than you have in glass.

You are right when saying visual ckeck is not good enough............however when using a spectrometer you can come up with any color effect you want or need which you can not do in glass.

Thread Information