Thread: New Enigma Line

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Post New Enigma Line

We just got the new Enigma line in from the joint venture of Sola and Safilo. If you are not familiar with Enigma, it is a line of glasses in which the lens are made on a 16 base curve. This is suppose to give clearer peripheral vision, plus they look funky. They come in single vision Rx's only (+1.00 to -4.00 with 1.00 cyl). They are polycarbonate lenses with A/R coating. The wholesale cost on them is $xxx.00. We will retail them around $xxx.

I just got my pair yesterday. I will wear them for the next couple of weeks and let you know how they turn out.

[Edit note: I don't think it's a good idea to publish wholesale prices on a public forum. Consumers often don't understand that the overhead and other costs associated with running a business are built into the retail price. - Steve]
    Last edited by Steve Machol; 06-05-2001 at 12:08 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Got mine today...

I just got mine in yesterday, Enigma Omega.

Okay, the "Surround Vision" marketing is truthful. They are a smaller eyesize than any of my other frames but feel like they are wider.

Perhaps one of the Sola folks can give me some input on my next point. I have convergence issues; actually, I've been told I am pretty bad for someone my age. Normally after doing a ton of detailled stuff at work my eyes go bonkers when I go to drive home. I can feel the muscles trying to figure out what it is they are supposed to be doing. I noticed much less of this wearing Enigma. I understand that the optical center of Enigma is not the same as that of a conventional lens. How does the lens actually behave?

There is only one thing that got a thumbs down. Omega is a three-piece mount. The machined safety bevel is a bit heavier than what I would consider cosmetically pleasing. It looks like a machined roll. I do a sweet roll and polish by hand so I may be being a bit picky on this one.

Thread Information