Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sales Rep Scum

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Sales Rep Scum

I have two frame companies that are looking for money. I have sales reps coming into my store looking to make a sale. I purchased over $2,000 from each of these companies. Both reps promised me the world. They promised that they would come into the store and move out the inventory that was not selling. I am aware that it would cost me every time they performed this duty. I am ok with that, as long as I get the service. Now low and behold these two reps have left their company. There is no way I am sending them the money I owe. I am not getting stuck with frames that will be in my showcases until the end of time. I was told that the reps are your partners. These partners will put you in the poorhouse so fast your head will spin. These two companies are not the flash in the pan frame companies. Colors in Optics and Allison Eyewear. I spoke to some of my other reps they told me to pack it up and send it back. Has anyone ever done this? I am skeptical! I am not a rude person. However these reps will wear you down. Some days I get more people selling me advertising and frames then I get customers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh yeah. I have done it a few times. Just pack it up and send it with delivery confirmation. You will get a credit only so ask them to send in return some top sellers up to the amount of credit. Then forget about it and stick with reps you have a better relationship with.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Or you could call the company and see if they will send someone in to help you.....perhaps you can still get the service you were looking for without having ot send it all back, unless it is product that just sits or you don't like it??
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Give the companies the opportunity to make good on their promises before you do anything drastic. If the companies got screwed by the rep leaving without notice think about the position they are in, piling the crap on by sending back a big order on top of that is a horrible thing to do. I agree you should not get stuck with merchandise especially when you negotiated a term with your rep, but let the company make good and you may truly have a partner.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The replacement reps will usually trade the old product for new in hopes of picking up your account.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

How to issue a purchase order

I have two frame companies that are looking for money. I have sales reps coming into my store looking to make a sale. I purchased over $2,000 from each of these companies. Both reps promised me the world. They promised that they would come into the store and move out the inventory that was not selling. I am aware that it would cost me every time they performed this duty. I am ok with that, as long as I get the service. Now low and behold these two reps have left their company. There is no way I am sending them the money I owe. I am not getting stuck with frames that will be in my showcases until the end of time. I was told that the reps are your partners. These partners will put you in the poorhouse so fast your head will spin. These two companies are not the flash in the pan frame companies. Colors in Optics and Allison Eyewear. I spoke to some of my other reps they told me to pack it up and send it back. Has anyone ever done this? I am skeptical! I am not a rude person. However these reps will wear you down. Some days I get more people selling me advertising and frames then I get customers.
    I think this is an approach that too many retailers assume is the terms of purchase. I do not know of other industies that have this policy. I don't think this as described is any more than a sales rep offering to help. Did the purchase order you issued say: "Guaranteed Sale with full return rights". If not the company only has their printed terms to go by. If they do offer 100% guarantee then you have the right to return. If not it is the fault of the retailer that failed to issue the purchase order with the terms on the purchase order.

In general purchasing merchandise is the responsiblity of the retailer, not the manufacturer. The frame company does not control who walks into your store or who works for the retailer. It is the retailers job to manage the sale of inventory that they choose to buy. If you are a good customer, sure you may get some help with returns on slow moving items if you purchase more fast moving items. Frame companies are not in business to guarantee a retailers success. Just like you as a retailer are not a guaranteed outlet for the frame company.

Take the logic from another point of view. What if the retailer is expected by the frame company to produce revenue for the frame company. If the retailer stops stocking the frame line, are you still going to pay the frame company the gross profit, because they need your support?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You picked the frames.

Why not be responsible for what you purchased and sell them?

The idea that you should be able to return them is what is driving the costs of the darn things higher to begin with.

They gave you the service. What more do you want? Should they come in and put price tags on the frames and put them on your boards for you?

So you bought like $4000 in frames. So I assume you got like 400+ frames right? If not....you got hosed even more than you feel like you did!

I am not big on sales reps. In fact, I can tolerate them less every day. That is why I have been dealing with companies that don't have reps. I buy what I think will sell. They send me very good frames for very good prices. I do not send frames back. Simple plan, but it works.
    Last edited by Fezz; 01-17-2007 at 10:53 PM.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

I have some problems. . . .

with calling sales reps scum. I worked as a rep and alot of my friends still do. Its often a thankless job and some accounts unrealistic expectations don't make it any better. Did you or someone from your office choose the product mix? Or did they hold a gun to your head and tell you what they were going to put in?

You don't want to pay your bill? Fine, don't pay it. All you're going to do is end up on the dead beat list and not be able to get any service on what you've already sold. The reps that you're bad mouthing probably already made commission on the sale. So are you going to stick the new rep for the return? Do you have no responsibility for the situation you find yourself in?? I think you need to take a look at your own purchasing decisions and quit trying to find a way to duck your responsibility.

Just my 2 cents!!

:hammer::finger::hammer:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Frame companies set policies on returns...not the reps. If a rep ever tells you something that is not in line with company policy, don't believe it. Some reps will tell you anything to get a sale, especially if they are on their way out. I am dealing with a vendor now that has told me that any purchase I make is final sale, with no warranty. They print it on the invoice when I make a purchase. I asked my rep about it, and he said don't worry about it, he'd stand behind it. I said until they remove that comment from the invoice that he no longer needs to come in. I haven't seen him in weeks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ecymosis View Post
    There is no way I am sending them the money I owe.

Interesting way of running a business.

I wonder how you would feel if your patients felt the same way.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not getting stuck with frames that will be in my showcases until the end of time.

You are right, you should not be stuck. You should be able to sell them. One way or another, you can move product.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They promised that they would come into the store and move out the inventory that was not selling. I am aware that it would cost me every time they performed this duty.
    Dude!?! (Or Dudette!?!) I'm confused! Did you buy these frames to sell, or to use them for wallpaper?

Quit your whining and sell the frames! :finger:

If you don't like them, don't reorder them after they're gone!

Shheeez!

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation

Holding a reps feet to the fire

May I suggest, you have the rep give you a written copy of the company stock balance program. Additionally, have the rep write you a letter describing the plan he is offering you. Having something in written form makes a lot of issues go away.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have an account with the company , not the rep. When they get a new rep for your territory why wouldn't they come to service their existing accounts? I know that the new rep will have to eat any returns because they were sold by another person. Most reps are aware of this and accept it as part of the burden of joining a new company. It's not something I would do, but to each his own. Your ability to return the frames has not been compromised by a change in rep. You must have chosen those frames for a reason. I would call the company and ask about a new rep and express my concerns. In the mean time I would try to sell all those frames so I didn't have to worry about returns.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This has been going on for six months. I have written letters explaining to them that I will be more then happy to pay the bill when I see a rep come through my door. I also failed to mention that one of the reps told me he would do it on cosignment. I kid you not. The other rep I have know for better then 15 years. As he was leaving my store I asked him if he was going to stay with this company for a while. He assured me that he was not going anywhere. I unlike many people in this industry I pay my bills. As far as my inability to move the frames. I have a high end optical. People are looking for newest greatest. The only difference between myself and the Walmart down the block is my fashionable frames. I do not want anyone leaving my store because they can't find a frame. I have about 25 Chrome Heart frames and 20 Bada frames that will not be leaving my store anytime soon. Each company will not do business with me unless I keep the minimum. I have always been on good term with these companies. What I need to do is open up another store and make it an outlet in which I could sell these high end frames at a discount price.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Talk is cheap...

Some interesting posts here, all full of good advise. I have to add only this...When all is said and done, if it ain't in writing somewhere--- guess what , it doesn't exist. Not in your patient's charts and not in your business contracts! Trust and business done on a handshake is old school, and a wonderful way to do things as long as "people" keep their word. But when things don't work out...ouch! Chris

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "In writing" goes both ways...

You may not have a consignment agreement in writing, but did you fill out a contract (credit app) agreeing to buy fomr them ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the company allowing you to ship back things which don't sell (for new frames in exchange)?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Somebody posted, how would you feel if my patients/customers treated me this way? They wouldn't because I service them. I just like everyone on this site has dealt with unreasonable complaints. At times I must take a loss. My complaint is not the cost, it not the merchandise per se. It is the fact that my account will not be serviced. If I paid them in full and they do not replace the rep for one year do you honestly think they are going to replace merchandise that is not moving? Another post said stop whining and sell the merchandise. This is a fashion industry. What is in today is out of style tomorrow. The first thing my customers say. What do you have that is new? Well we have these Marchon CFG7. They may not look it but they are on their way back. My niche is frames and service. I do not bait and switch. I do not give generic lenses, top of the line. I charge more so I can give the service. I expect the same from the frame companies that I deal with. I have sent people to Walmart or Macy's. For glasses complete under $100. Not in this store. I do not take insurances. I ask my customers do you go into a shoe store and ask if they take insurance? I have no problem with those kind of operations. One day I would like to own one of those type of places. Then I will compete with the chains. I wont spend $180,000 to build a store front. This thread has taught me something. My only chip I can hold is that they want my money. If they put me in collections then 30% goes to the agency. They will get paid slowly but surely. This way eventually a representative from a company will show his face. Thank you for the advice.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another post said stop whining and sell the merchandise. This is a fashion industry. What is in today is out of style tomorrow. The first thing my customers say. What do you have that is new?

This is a fashion industry. The fashion industry is one of the hardest to buy in, as well as to operate in. In true fashion businesses, the designers don't say,"Here's a few dresses, they cost $2,000 each. See if you can sell them-if you can't, send them vack and we'll give you more."

If you want to have a niche, that means you have an extremely narrow market, and one that does not appeal to a large amount of people. Just because someone has a niche, does not mean they will have success. You are taking a huge risk by carrrying only "top of the line". If your risk pays off, you might be rewarded handsomely.

I used to sell CFGs, and I'll never forget the optician that said, "I'd rather die than carry that Asian garbage!" Well, fortunately, he didn't die, but his business sure did. (He does look rather dashing in his WalMart uniform) There are only so many people that will pay for "top of the line"

Some of these higher end lines might be gracious and take back frames, provided you're committed to doing business with them. If someone called me and said they weren't paying the bill until I did this, this, or this, I'd write them off and move on. Accounts like that most likely had inexperiecnced buyers, and it was sure to be a 15 piece order every month, with 13 returns, that would net you about 20 frames a year. Not worth my time...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This has been going on for six months. I have written letters explaining to them that I will be more then happy to pay the bill when I see a rep come through my door. I also failed to mention that one of the reps told me he would do it on cosignment. I kid you not. The other rep I have know for better then 15 years. As he was leaving my store I asked him if he was going to stay with this company for a while. He assured me that he was not going anywhere. I unlike many people in this industry I pay my bills. As far as my inability to move the frames. I have a high end optical. People are looking for newest greatest. The only difference between myself and the Walmart down the block is my fashionable frames. I do not want anyone leaving my store because they can't find a frame. I have about 25 Chrome Heart frames and 20 Bada frames that will not be leaving my store anytime soon. Each company will not do business with me unless I keep the minimum. I have always been on good term with these companies. What I need to do is open up another store and make it an outlet in which I could sell these high end frames at a discount price.
    Did you ever think about putting them on a sale rack? Everyone loves a sale! Why is it that all of a sudden these frames are going to sit until the end of time? What were you thinking when you bought them? Did you buy them so that you could sell them? Sell them!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Just pay the company. Buyer beware. If a customer refused to pay, because the person who sold them the glasses was not there anymore would you accept that? Do the right thing and pay them. You ordered the frames, they sent you the order, so the company did not wrong you. We are just lucky to be in an industry where we can exchange our product.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always ask the rep. why should I take all the risk; have them put the return and exchange policy on a copy of the order. This way you have a copy of the promise and a leg to stand on with the new rep or the company.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    ... why should I take all the risk; .
    Because you get all the rewards when they sell.

Occupation

Just wondering

Is every optician/technician/employee that quits and finds a better job a scum optician/technician/employee?

Then of course every OD/MD that moves on and starts their own practice must be scum OD's and MD's. Right

Maybe you should start asking reps how long they have been in this field and how long with the company BEFORE you start a relationship with them.

My guess is you liked the frame line and took very little notice of who was selling the product. Besides what the heck are you getting upset over $4,000 worth of inventory, you have much more important things to be fretting over running your business. The frames are current and if you picked out the right ones - they should sell.

Rep

Thread Information