Thread: Who Invents New Lenses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who Invents New Lenses?

I'm still just a humble beginner in this field, but a long way down the road, I've dreamed about coming up with something which improves vision, thickness, or the like. I'm curious, though, with new technology coming out every day,
    Who is "inventing" these new lenses? (OD's, MD's, LDO's, Physicists, Engineers?)
    What kind of education do they need/have?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Marketing Wingnuts are inventing these new lenses.

Of course, thats my humble opinion. Others may have a bit less jaded view.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Barney Oilfield.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    He was not just talking about PAL's, but coatings, indexes and such.

But I do agree with you, Marketing wingnuts are the reason for them. Smart marketing is finding out what the customer wants and fulfilling it. I can give you a few recent definitions of marketing that will make that clear.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The beancounters and advertizers.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Who makes new Lenses?

Having developed new technologies, I can tell you the posts to date address an interesting point. I agree that the marketing people get credit for much of the hype, but the hype works. Every day I personnally am told by an OD or Optician about some existing lens or lab that can do what we can do. The facts when traced down confirm my belief that the other companies can not do this. The OD or Optician is so influenced by this marketing that trying to explain facts about new lens technologies is very difficult.

Fortunately there are many very interested OD's and Opticians who are willing to inquire and objectively listen without having their mind made up before hearing about our technology.

As to who invents new lenses: Materials would primarily be from chemical engineers, lens designs would be from optical engineers.

Occupation
    Optometrist

New Lens Designs

I agree that optical engineers are behind many of the new lens designs. Perhaps that is why I have never found an “office lens” or computer lens that would consistently work for my patients. How could one lens design work for all people with varying ages and computer arrangements. This is where the doc should step in and customize the prescription.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by macularry View Post
    I agree that optical engineers are behind many of the new lens designs. Perhaps that is why I have never found an “office lens” or computer lens that would consistently work for my patients. How could one lens design work for all people with varying ages and computer arrangements. This is where the doc should step in and customize the prescription.

Should they then use some veiled sales pitch from someone not disclosing that they sell a system to "compensate" rx's?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    No, they should then use their knowledge of optics to come up with an Rx on their own. All ODs are capable of this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Thumb twiddlers......

C.E.O's and C.F.O's who desire a quick and easy way to justify their stock options and salary raises for "next year" are the ones re-inventing the wheel one a monthly basis. It's really the easiest way to be able to charge a higher price so everyone can get that cost of living increase they need to keep going to Starbucks every morning.:shiner: Chris.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Okay, can we can the snide remarks?

The point was made with the first twelve.

I think this is an interesting question and would like to see various input on it.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by macularry View Post
    All ODs are capable of this.
    All ?? (No snide comment necessary)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Should we believe this Rep?

A few years ago I had a Sola rep who really acted like he knew his stuff. He was explaining progressive designs and how they are made. He said that they could basically "design" a progressive within a few minutes based on very hi-tech computer programs. He said the design then goes to the optical engineers to pick apart. He said that the initiation of a new design starts at the marketing division. They base a need for a new lens by customer feedback, trends in eyewear/frames, life cycle of previous designs, need for a new "launch", etc. Did he know his stuff? Was he correct? Is this how it goes?

Bottom line........I get a real good feeling that it starts with marketing and trickles thru from there. Hopefully Pete or Darryl could chime in and set us straight.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    IN my MBA classes, marketing research was typically the first step in determining if a new product was warranted. The research came from a variety of sources.

Customers providing feedback on what they would like to see improved.
    Surveys of (in this case) presbyopic patients who say what they currently like or dislike about their lenses.
    Discussions with the main players in the market (in this case opticians/ODs) about what they desire that isn't currently available.

From there the marketing department comes up with an idea for the designers to work on, and thus begins the development of the new lens.

I believe the reason for so many different progressives out there, is that not everyone agrees with what is the best... HappyLady loved her SolaOne's, however my coworker couldn't stand them, she loves the Definity. However their are many who think the Definity is over-rated and for the money, the Image is the way to go.... and so it goes and goes.

I believe the search will be never ending cause everyone wants to be able to cater to the whole presbyopic market, and all the presbyopes want something as comfortable as Single vision
    Last edited by Jubilee; 01-19-2007 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Added rant
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, there are things I can name off the top of my list that there's no question is something people want.
    Thinner lenses, less distortion, all of these are no question in demand.
    But isn't there ever just some optician going about his business, then has a great idea, patents it, sells it, and retires?

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The "need" for new lens designs is often identified directly or indirectly by marketing-analyst types, based on feedback from eye care professionals or a review of market trends. For instance, around ten years ago, eye care professionals were frequently complaining about the minimum fitting height requirements of traditional progressives in newer frame styles. Or, in some cases, the design requirements are specified based upon the intended application of the product. For instance, a lens manufacturer might design lenses intended to work well in highly curve, wrap sunwear. In still other cases, technological advancements may make new lens designs possible that were once either technically impossible or at least impractical. Similarly, new findings in vision research may also set the direction for new lens designs.

From there, lens designers do most of the work. They conceive, implement, and validate prototype lens designs based on either detailed product specifications or general performance objectives and guidelines. These lens designers are generally PhD physicists or mathematicians. Mind you, you don't have to be a PhD physicist to come up with a new lens design that someone is willing to pay for; but it helps if you want to get paid to come up with new lens designs for someone else.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Isn't there ever just some optician going about his business ... then has a great idea, patents it, sells it and retires?
    Happens all the time in this country. Case in point. And the optician? He was working up north a ways from where you're located.

OptiBoard member rinselberg updates the veridical paradox known as the "Monty Hall problem" under the post title Three Card Rinsel.

Thread Information