Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S/A Navigator Short

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

S/A Navigator Short

Anyone know anything about this lens? I'm trying to find a more affordable option for our short corridor patients, and it's the only one my lab offers with any significant price difference compared to all the usual lenses we sell.
    Can anyone give me a little feedback? I know it's not going to be mind-blowingly good, but I don't want to sell anything that isn't at least decent!

OptiBoard Apprentice ELM OPTICAL's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Its a decent older lens. Its cheap and has a lot of perriferal distorsion. Its available in goog range of the materials and again its cheap. Its probably the only budget short design on the market (not counting chinese short corridor lenses that pop in all the time).
    The next and much better choice is AO Compact if you can afford one.

PS We do alot of Navigators and Navigators Shorts!

Occupation
    We have been using the Nav. Short for about 3.5 years now with no problems at all. Great Lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks guys!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hear the same thing from my lab rep who is always pushing the latest: Autograph, Unique, etc. She says, "very good lens, just an older design", The lab doesn't have much trouble with refits, that is part of the reason they can sell it pretty cheap. I have only dispensed a handfull - all with no problems.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Update:
    I dispensed the Navigator short today, and the reaction from the patient was:
    "Thanks so much for helping me find a more affordable choice for my lenses! You know, I know there is a difference between expensive lenses and this, but I can't tell any difference!" (Pt's other lenses are Ellipse)

So, she's quite satisfied! I guess I learned a little about progressives today! Expensive does not necessarily equal better!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ELM OPTICAL View Post
    Its a decent older lens. Its cheap and has a lot of perriferal distorsion. Its available in goog range of the materials and again its cheap. Its probably the only budget short design on the market (not counting chinese short corridor lenses that pop in all the time).
    The next and much better choice is AO Compact if you can afford one.

PS We do alot of Navigators and Navigators Shorts!
    When this patient first contacted me, she basically said she could/would go to WM/Sears/Costco for her back-up pair, but wanted to shop with us first (she usually buys from us). She got her frame online for a great price and brought it to me for the lenses. I whipped out my price list from the lab and simply found the cheapest thing on there (essilor lab-I'm sure there are other options out there!). I didn't know much about it, so I hopped up here to see what you thought. Patient happy=I'm happy. Thanks optiboarders!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think there is a clear difference between this lens and the Ellipse, but there is also a clear difference between the Physio and the Super No Line.

Doesn't make it a bad lens and does not mean that everyone should be in the most expensive lens. If someone is willing to pay less it is a good lens that will give them what they need.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Anyone know anything about this lens? I'm trying to find a more affordable option for our short corridor patients, and it's the only one my lab offers with any significant price difference compared to all the usual lenses we sell.
    Can anyone give me a little feedback? I know it's not going to be mind-blowingly good, but I don't want to sell anything that isn't at least decent!

Ask your lab if they carry Polycore Micro Short Corridor PAL.

Occupation
    I wonder what would be the next pair of glasses that the patient will purchase in a year or two!
    Can you do us a favor and call the patient in a couple of weeks and find out if she does see ANY different from those two lenses!

Banned
    Occupation
    This is a good example what lens prices will be like when progressives finally become as generic as flat tops. Once you have the molds they are cheaper than flat tops to make.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great lenses

I started fitting nav lenses about 7 years ago to get a mid range material in changeables. Transitions was not so hot then, sunsensors worked better.Has been my best selling lens since. Nav and nav short in cr39 and sunsensors mid index. I have fit at least 400/500 per year and absolutely no problems. I do not fit them as a money saving lens as in my opinion they are a top notch lens. The proof is in the results. I also fit many sola max and definity lenses for a few bucks more. I find people have a bigger adjustment with sola max than nav.
    I also still fit percepta, one of the best all time in my opinion. Wore them for years and other than definity best, of the bunch.
    Hey, I liked super no line.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West View Post
    I started fitting nav lenses about 7 years ago to get a mid range material in changeables. Transitions was not so hot then, sunsensors worked better.Has been my best selling lens since. Nav and nav short in cr39 and sunsensors mid index. I have fit at least 400/500 per year and absolutely no problems. I do not fit them as a money saving lens as in my opinion they are a top notch lens. The proof is in the results. I also fit many sola max and definity lenses for a few bucks more. I find people have a bigger adjustment with sola max than nav.
    I also still fit percepta, one of the best all time in my opinion. Wore them for years and other than definity best, of the bunch.
    Hey, I liked super no line.

I still like Super No Line. Never liked the Percepta. It is true that we can still do extremely well with the older budget lenses. Only problem is frame size for many of them. I have not found a budget lens that is satisfactory for under 17mm.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bill,
    I don't see good results from SolaMax. But I have a fraction of the experience with it that you do. Could it be a problem with the local OD that dispenses them? Or is it that this Dr's patients that didn't do well are now shopping at a different place (us)?
    You've got me thinking about dispensing more Navigators
    Who was the jerk(s) that gave you a negative report. You are an asset to this forum and I appreciate your advice.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Bill,
    I don't see good results from SolaMax. But I have a fraction of the experience with it that you do. Could it be a problem with the local OD that dispenses them? Or is it that this Dr's patients that didn't do well are now shopping at a different place (us)?
    Who was the jerk(s) that gave you a negative report. You are an asset to this forum and I appreciate your advice.
    People tend to give negative reps if they disagree with your opinion, which is sad imo.

Anyways, the thing about the Solamax is it has an exceptionally wide reading area. Well as we know that you cannot just give a PAL 30 percent wider reading, or distance, or intermediate without compromising something else. So the distance area is not that great.

In our industry it seems that we are obsessed with reading, but in reality we use our distance a lot more.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Ask your lab if they carry Polycore Micro Short Corridor PAL.
    Would you have the chart with comparasing of Micro and Navigator short or maybe Compact?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PM me with your address, and I'll get information to you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sola Max

Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Bill,
    I think it is lens design that causes problems adjusting to sola max. More blur to start.However I have only had to refit one out of a few hundred.Good lens.
    NAVIGATORS ARE GREAT!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Charts, Charts and....

Quote Originally Posted by ELM OPTICAL View Post
    Would you have the chart with comparasing of Micro and Navigator short or maybe Compact?

....Grids.
    Fit a few and get patient reaction. Throw out all grids and charts. Paper will let you write anything on it.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Nav & Nav Short are great options for lower priced progressives but lack in material options. For about $30-40 more you can go with the Concise-Precise & get an updated version of these 2 lenses. Both premium progressives with more materials, available under VSP, & offer $10 per pair back to the practice...

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiBird View Post
    Nav & Nav Short are great options for lower priced progressives but lack in material options. For about $30-40 more you can go with the Concise-Precise & get an updated version of these 2 lenses. Both premium progressives with more materials, available under VSP, & offer $10 per pair back to the practice...

And thats just for the semi finished blanks.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't use the Navigator or Navigator short very much but I've never had a problem with them. I usually fit them low, like 2mm below the base of the pupil; that seems to move most of the fuzz out of range.

Personally I've never been fond of the Ellipse; I think there are better short-corridor lenses out there for a similar or lower price (Shamir's Piccolo, for example).
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiBird View Post
    I was always skeptical about the Precise/Concise lenses particularly when they give you $10 back to sell them. I tried the precise and found that I didn't want to wear it. Too small a reading zone and too much distortion was what I found.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I was always skeptical about the Precise/Concise lenses particularly when they give you $10 back to sell them. I tried the precise and found that I didn't want to wear it. Too small a reading zone and too much distortion was what I found.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    I will try the Navigators though based on what I have read above.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I was always skeptical about the Precise/Concise lenses particularly when they give you $10 back to sell them.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Your looking at it all wrong. The $10 back isnt a payoff for you to sell the lens-It sales just fine on its own. Its a program they designed to assist the independent practices with cash back co-op to use however you want-new tools for practice, equipment, or help with profit margin. S/A is an independent distributor serving only the independent practices-something you dont see any of the other major distributors doing. You wont get $10 back from a Nav beacause its only a $10 lens

The Concise is like any other lens out there-Some people like some dont. The Concise/Precise are just upgrades from an older lens: Nav/Nav Short

If you sale everything based on what you found to be good/bad your holding back on a sale your patients may have thought was great. Just because you like orange popcicles doesnt mean everyone else does.
    Last edited by OptiBird; 05-25-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Thread Information