Thread: moving on

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

moving on

i am moving to the chicago area, mainly to attend school, which, due to financial reasons, i will be doing part time. i will be working full time while in school. being an optician is what i know and love, and also what will pay the bills (somewhat :-) ) for the time being.

in the meantime, i am starting to interview next weekend for some optical positions. i don't want to decieve employers into thinking i will stay there forever when i really want to eventually be a frame designer and sculptor ( i am studying art- metals).

if you were looking for an optician, how important would this be to you? i am planning to be in school at least another 2-3 years and even then i may stay in the job for awhile, who knows?!

today the woman said, "we're looking for someone who will be here for a long time." what is "a long time" to you?

thanks in advance...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    3 Month:d

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie, for an employee to stay at a job for three years, thats a long time, at least by todays standerd. I'm assuming that some of your interviews will be in the relm of "retail" and from what I've seen there it's not uncommon for someone to leave after 12-18 months. No one expects for you to work for the for a life time. When your ready to move on most will understand. Good luck.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your length of time to stay on should not come into play. Two to three years, part-time, is a decent amount of time. I guess we would all like to hire someone that would plan on staying forever. The reality is, most don't. Don't let it bother you. Go on and let that new ABO certification shine. Who knows, you may find "home" and be very content getting nestled in. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

thanks

thanks, guys. any interview tips? i've never actually applied for a position as an experienced optician. ( i was hired at a "will train" office :-( ) any areas i should highlight... i.e., i can use a lensometer, i am really good at repairs, stuff like that?

i've been at my present job for over three years and they were pretty understanding about me leaving. i hope to find the same in chicago.

:) laurie

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

How to get hired

You must be able to clearly articulate, "what makes you different and better than other candidates". Ask the interviewer, "what do you need?" Your responses should solve his "need." These few simple ideas will help you stand out from the masses. Be unique, special, valuable and dignified. Best of luck in your new adventure.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LKahn makes very good points.

I will add: 1.) Be honest. Seems simple, but it makes a difference. 2.) Do not talk too much. 3.) Be neat and clean. 4.) Look into the eyes of the interviewer / connect.

Good luck.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WHVISIONLAURIE View Post
    today the woman said, "we're looking for someone who will be here for a long time." what is "a long time" to you?
    If she's young she's probably thinking 3-5 years, if she's older, then she wants you to stay 'till they retire.

Your going to like Chicago, strong arts community, lots of really good local and national music talent, bars stay open 'till 4 or 5am, and if you are into music, take the train up to Milwaukee in late June for the ten day long Summerfest, one of the best music festivals in the country.

Good luck,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by foureyes View Post
    Find out how long other folks have been working there. I interviewed at one place recently where their newest employee has been there for 3 years, and some have been there for 20+. So "a long time" for them is going to look different than it would to a manager in a "revolving door" practice where people stay 12-18 months and move on.

Best of luck!
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All's fair in love and war. And work counts in one of those two! If they want to hear you'll be there until the day you die, tell them that! If they aren't going to guarantee you that you'll have a job for three years, then why should you commit to staying for any length of time?
    Employers just want to know that it's unlikey they will have to go through the hiring process again too soon.

For that interview, DRESS UP! And prepare a nice, PC answer to the question, "What are your weaknesses?" That one always caught me off guard. Practice interview questions with your family at home, lists of questions are available online.
    Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most employers respect honesty. I would imagine most employers would be happy to get 2-3 years of good service especally in todays market. Good luck!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

interview weekend

well, just got through 3 interviews this weekend, they all went well, and i have one "phone interview" to go!

thanks, everyone for your encouragement and advice!
    Laurie Trok, ABOC:)

-the former WHVISIONLAURIE

Thread Information