Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: optiboard project cont. (time to pony up)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

optiboard project cont. (time to pony up)

I asked Steve to sticky the thread, partly so its in everyone's face, and partly to keep it as a "master thread" so other threads like this one) can be started on related subjects without making the main thread to long and convoluted. There has been some more attention paid to third world eyecare again, so I have another proposal. A colleague of mine, a former instructor with a local College's Ophthalmic Dispensing program, returned from an Opticianry school in Cuba. He reported that the school was so short on texts and equipment it was a miracle they were able to learn at all. In keeping with recent discussions about the need for sustainable eyecare in developing nations, and the emphasis on training nationals, I propose we find a school, or schools, that already exist in developing countries, round up tools, texts, equipment, and any other related materials, and send them to these institutions. I know optiboarders have TONS of stuff that would be appreciated by some of these schools, and I only ask any donations be serviceable, and in good working order. Cost of shipping can be a major problem, but let's see if we can round up some stuff, and find a suitable school.
    I'll start the ball off with a really nice lensometer, not a B&L 70, but similar to it, in good working order. ( Cost of shipping ) Anyone know of a deserving optician school?

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

chemical supplies

We will provide an assortment of chemicals supplies. Just tell me where and when.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Play this smart. I know a local dentist that goes down there two weeks a year to "teach". He gives one week of teaching and gets one week of the best bass fishing in the world!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I don't know what I have right now, but let me look. I may also be interested in the instructor part of it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just in case you thought this thread would drop from sight, I brought it back. Nearly everyone has some stuff they have they don't really need. Textbooks, tools, groovers, and whatnot. If I don't get more stuff, Ill cry.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Dave - I wish I had something to offer ... I suppose I do have a few pd sticks and screwdrivers... (really, that is all I have to offer... :shiner: )

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Dave....

Before I go to the head Honcho around here I'll ask what I know he'll ask, and that is will he be able to deduct any of this as a charitable donation? Sometimes the ability to deduct it from taxes can actually generate alot of interest. What do you say? Chris..

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You do need to have "charity" status to allow for a deduction, something we don't have. We could choose a registered charity to direct optiboard donations to, but I would prefer, at least for now, to list all donations, find a worthwhile school, then see about forwarding the donations to the school. If there is a charitable organization out there who knows of such a school, and can offer a tax receipt, I'm all ears.
    Donations have been a bit skimpy so far, and not everyone has something they can afford to part with. Once we adopt a school, though, and have a place to direct donations to, I'm sure more people will come up with some donations.

Occupation
    I did find a B&L heat treat unit and an AO surface marker, probably more if I dig. I may also have some minor supplies.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a student currently working on clearing out our storage area to see what goodies may be in there to donate.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have a groover (I even had custom Teflon bearings made for it)I don't use anymore and one of those huge Coburn edge polishers. And a patternmaker that needs a new belt.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks all. I have Emailed a fellow in Ecuador who may be able to provide us with the details on an opticianry school. Will keep all posted.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Maybe....

Next time I have to visit out storage unit I will look at what we might want to part with, Chris..

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hold on Americans!
    Is it legal to send stuff to Cuba?

Or do we send it to Canada first

To be tax deductable I believe a charity has to be established and registered under some IRS code.

As much as I'd like to help I think this should be a Canadian project.

Occupation
    So, I'll move back and then donate it.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dave,

At this point I have nothing :( I am truly sorry....:(

Occupation
    Dave:

See my post under "Optiboard World Vision Project" #33

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been in touch with a school in Ecuador who would like the donated equipment. The concern I have is...it is apparently a school for training ophthalmologists and technitions, and would like to include some lab work for the technicians. Its not what I imagined. I was kind of hoping to find a school for opticians that was more impoverished, like the school in Cuba. I did get in touch with them through Medical Ministries International, an outstanding organisation headed by one Willie Hunter, and his wife Janice. Willie is a very interesting guy, and his life story would make a most interesting book. Anyway, the Contact is Dr. Robin Rios, of the MMI ophthalmology program in Ecuador.
    What think ye?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have any equipment, but I would be glad to send a bunch of frames, including half a dozen Rec-specs. I usually send frames to Med-link, but if you think this project would want frames, I can send you a bunch.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Is There an Age Limit for Donated Equipment?

I work in a small office with one O.D. He bought the practice (with all the goodies) from a retiring O.D. who'd been there forever. This man never throws anything away. Ever. We have at least 30 years worth of assorted equipment that I have spent years trying to talk him into tossing because we are so short on space.
    I'm sure some of it is utterly worthless, as far as modern technology is concerned, but all of it works (Doc's reason for keeping it around). Nobody is interested in buying it and he won't hear of dumping it, but we do a lot of charity work and I'm sure he would be more than happy to part with it for a good cause.
    We also have boxes of outdated frames- never used but purchased on consignment, enough eyeglass cases to sink a small ship and lots of assorted repair "kits" and parts that require the use of equipment we don't have (history of staff members who simply could not say no to telemarketers...)
    I'll go through the equipment and make a list. I'll try to get the info posted within the next week or so.

I hope we can help. :)

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyecing View Post
    I work in a small office with one O.D. He bought the practice (with all the goodies) from a retiring O.D. who'd been there forever. This man never throws anything away. Ever. We have at least 30 years worth of assorted equipment that I have spent years trying to talk him into tossing because we are so short on space.
    I'm sure some of it is utterly worthless, as far as modern technology is concerned, but all of it works (Doc's reason for keeping it around). Nobody is interested in buying it and he won't hear of dumping it, but we do a lot of charity work and I'm sure he would be more than happy to part with it for a good cause.
    We also have boxes of outdated frames- never used but purchased on consignment, enough eyeglass cases to sink a small ship and lots of assorted repair "kits" and parts that require the use of equipment we don't have (history of staff members who simply could not say no to telemarketers...)
    I'll go through the equipment and make a list. I'll try to get the info posted within the next week or so.

I hope we can help. :)
    I would love to see the inventory !! Send me a copy by PM or email, please. I'm trying to start a small lab that will do nothing but FREE work for charity type programs.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Ditto on sending me a copy via pm or e mail.

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I would love to see the inventory !! Send me a copy by PM or email, please. I'm trying to start a small lab that will do nothing but FREE work for charity type programs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Jacqui, are you in need of any frames? I'd be glad to send some. Send me a PM.

Occupation
    PM being sent

Banned
    Occupation
    I have two lensometers, All are in perfect working order.
    Last edited by Jamesnns; 06-25-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Thread Information