Thread: lifestyle dispensing

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused lifestyle dispensing

I am having a hard time getting my staff to ask the right questions.I actually had a customer complain that we were prying (all kinds out there)
    Does any ony know of a printed lifestyle questionaire

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I worked at Lens Crafters, they had a brochure that we were supposed to follow exactly. It covered all lifestyle questions, etc. and I personally found that to be very unnerving to our patients. They felt interviewed, and pried at.
    I would really recommend that you teach your staff to ask the right questions without reading a script. It helps to explain that we need to know a little about you so that we can recommend the best products for your needs. Then start asking questions. This way, you explain that their weekend activities are indeed pertinent to the decisions at hand.

I always ask:
    What do you do?
    What are your hobbies?
    Do you play any sports/golf/fishing included!
    Do you like to read for long periods of time? Needlepoint/other crafts?
    Use the computer? How long each day?
    Drive at night?
    What do you like about your current glasses?
    Is there anything you don't like about your current glasses?

I hope that helps!
    I really do think that the trick is to work it into the conversation. If you start out by dropping 19 questions on them, you'll scare people away!

Once they know what questions to ask, make sure they also understand what products to recommend for each answer. In other words, they can ask if you use the computer for an hour or more per day, but they also need to mention to the client that "Since you said you use the computer a fair amount, I have a product that I'd like you to consider. It greatly reduces eye strain when using the computer..."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There's one on the eyefinity website - :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    GOS Queen,
    Were you at LC with the Custom Eyes brochure?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your opticians are probably accused of prying because they are asking the questions like they're robots. There's a way to get the information without sounding like a robot. First, they should look at the old glasses, ask what they do or don't like about them. You get a lot of answers just by that question alone. They seem to always like to tell you what they like and don't like about what they're wearing now. Get to just shooting the *you know what* with them. It should come natural, not robotic. The employee may not feel comfortable with helping the patient, especially if they're new to the business.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with shellrob, number one question should always be what do you like and not like about current glasses! Lifestyle dispensing has been around for awhile and the optician before may have tried something that you now have the opportunity to make work like it should. I see this a lot with computer glasses, pt explains what the issues are and I can then solve the problem the way the pt expected.

The biggest thing is to have the optician sound like they are solving problems and not selling additional options. If the natural sounding conversation uncovers problems and the optician can solve them you will see more results than roboticaly assuming that a patient who boats wants plzd lenses. (He may have them and can not see his fishing display)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    GOS Queen,
    Were you at LC with the Custom Eyes brochure?
    yes, and the previous incarnation (which I can't remember the name of right now with this head cold)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you have a similar experience, that the patients seemed nervous with you standing there asking a list of questions and making notes? (versus working it into a casual conversation)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A casual conversation is the key to lifestyle dispensing or whatever you choose to call it. I like to hire dispensors who have the ability to talk to people, put them at ease, generate a comfort and trust situation. We have a form that asks the questions but really who has the time to fill it out. Therefore the questions need to be asked. Not by rote but in the course of normal "get to know you" conversation. While pulling frames to try on you should be initiating the questions. It really is a natural thing to ask about a person's interests, hobbies, driving habits, occupation, etc. You find common ground and you build from there. Pairing your dispensors with patients that they can relate to is also important. I employ a 23 year old, a 35 year old, a 62 year old, and myself 48 and menopausal. It works beautifully. Just today I was helping a woman my age choose a frame and only I could get away with the "bags under the eyes" topic. She left very happy with her choice. We are having a record week.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    A casual conversation is the key to lifestyle dispensing or whatever you choose to call it. I like to hire dispensors who have the ability to talk to people, put them at ease, generate a comfort and trust situation.

You are so very correct; an outgoing personality is a must in the dispensary and with that comes the ability to talk and most importantly to listen.

Your original request was for premade material on lifestyle dispensing, but if you think about it, what purpose will having your staff study it if they haven't already cultivated their 'relationship skills'? I've never been a believer in motivational materials or workshops nor have I ever taken the dreaded 'public speaking course' but out of necessity because I truly love what I do I've naturally develloped a very conversational and friendly manner in which to extract from clients (present and potential) the info needed to help them make educated and reliable decisions about their optical needs. Other opticians may actually be better served by taking some formalized instruction ; I'd suggest that if some of your opticians are having difficulty in these areas, perhaps point them in the direction of the Dale Carnegie course or the Leaders Institute.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All of us have a personal view about eyewear and what they would like to see happen with a customer. If we don't, then that's where we start. Let me explain:

1, Inventrory your personal preference. Is it cosmetic? Is it lifestyle? Is it technical? Is it materials? Is it construction? If you don't know where you are strongest you can't build a rapport with someone in the future that tags you as an expert. In my case it was cosmetic. And I always started a dispense by sharing my views on how either what they are wearing is detracting or what I would like to see that would enhance appearance. But, I was always mindful of the buyers motive. And, regardless of whether it is on the tennis court or at work . . . that object called eyewear is a signature that leaves onlookers with an impression.

2, I would always be instantly ready to shift away from my preference by listening to the reaction or response. A reaction (ARGUMENT)told me about either professional or lifestyle issues. A response (confirmation)more often than not told me where to emphasize what I heard.

Vanity almost always prevails. But, necessity is the reason for getting ones eyes checked and having an eyewear Rx filled.

I was once told by my mentor that I will always get the best response when I start from what I call my strength. Patients/buyers sense that.

Thread Information