Thread: wavefront tech

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

wavefront tech

Hello Optiboarders,
    Just 1 month ago i heard about the so called wavefront tech and its possibility to be applied for the construction of very very customized lenses .
    Looking around in the web i found a lot of explanation about it and how it is applied to build a sort of dynamic correction for astronomy optics .
    I'd like to know if there is some documentation about it and its possible application to build ophtalmic lenses.:o

Thanks a lot

Mauro Ventura

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's basically the same technique now used in Laisik surgery. Beams of light are bounced off the retina in a 360 degree circle and the aberrations are measured and can be corrected by the computerized laser. The newest progressives use wavefront technology to minimize these aberrations giving wearers of them wider and clearer fields of vision. I have personally tried the Physio and the Kodak Unique. Both are much better than my previous Panamic, but the Kodak is the best ,especially in dim light.
    Bob Taylor

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Marketing got to you

Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    It's basically the same technique now used in Laisik surgery. Beams of light are bounced off the retina in a 360 degree circle and the aberrations are measured and can be corrected by the computerized laser. The newest progressives use wavefront technology to minimize these aberrations giving wearers of them wider and clearer fields of vision. I have personally tried the Physio and the Kodak Unique. Both are much better than my previous Panamic, but the Kodak is the best ,especially in dim light.
    Bob Taylor
    Correction to your statement, "The newest progressives use wavefront technology" If the human eye is never measured with an instrument that can perform a wavefront mapping calculation it is not possible for the lens to be produced for that individual with any meaningful wavefront technology. I believe Essilor describes their Physio lens as W.A.V.E Technology produced lens. This is a trademarked name and can stand for whatever they want it to stand for, but it does not mean the the lens is individualized for the patient using wavefront technology that is used for Lasik surgery.

Don't be oversold on the MARKETING HYPE. It is not just Essilor either but you mentioned the Physio by name and therefore I addressed their attempt to connect Wavefront technology to their lens design, which it is not. By deductive logical reasoning it is easy to understand why. If you don't perform a wavefront analysis on the patient how can you produce a lens with wavefront benefits.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have just recieved my coupon from Essilor for a pair of Physio 360s. I wear an Ellipse now and like it. All I need is to find a frame. That is the real issue. But can't wait to try the lenses. OD and lab tech already wearing them with rave reviews. I won't sell what I haven't worn myaelf.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Topic Please!

Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I have just recieved my coupon from Essilor for a pair of Physio 360s. I wear an Ellipse now and like it. All I need is to find a frame. That is the real issue. But can't wait to try the lenses. OD and lab tech already wearing them with rave reviews. I won't sell what I haven't worn myaelf.
    Just curious cocoisland; how does your quote above relate to this tread? It is nice that you are getting a free pair of progressive lenses but a one person test of new product address the question of the use of wavefront technology. This forum is titled:
    Ophthalmic Optics Discussion of ophthalmic optics and related topics. Not for the faint of heart!
    mauroventura said:
    Hello Optiboarders,
    Just 1 month ago i heard about the so called wavefront tech and its possibility to be applied for the construction of very very customized lenses .
    Looking around in the web i found a lot of explanation about it and how it is applied to build a sort of dynamic correction for astronomy optics .
    I'd like to know if there is some documentation about it and its possible application to build ophtalmic lenses.:o

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Awtech response to my post

Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    Correction to your statement, "The newest progressives use wavefront technology" If the human eye is never measured with an instrument that can perform a wavefront mapping calculation it is not possible for the lens to be produced for that individual with any meaningful wavefront technology. I believe Essilor describes their Physio lens as W.A.V.E Technology produced lens. This is a trademarked name and can stand for whatever they want it to stand for, but it does not mean the the lens is individualized for the patient using wavefront technology that is used for Lasik surgery.

Don't be oversold on the MARKETING HYPE. It is not just Essilor either but you mentioned the Physio by name and therefore I addressed their attempt to connect Wavefront technology to their lens design, which it is not. By deductive logical reasoning it is easy to understand why. If you don't perform a wavefront analysis on the patient how can you produce a lens with wavefront benefits.
    As I understand the wavefront technology is used to correct the aberrations due to the progressive design. There is a company marketing their aberrometer to make a terrifically expensive progressive that supposeably does do what Laisek surgery does. I hear it has production problems. I forget the company.
    Bob Taylor

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    mauroventura - did you see this post I made almost a month ago? I think you will find it of some interest - and it has links to more research material that you can read online or download to your own computer ...

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20918

Bob (rdcoach5) just referred to Ophthonix, which has been marketing wavefront-corrected spectacle lenses that use data from aberrometer measurements of the patient's retinas. The call their instrument the Z-View Aberrometer and the MD or OD has to use it to refract the patient in order to dispense the iZon prescription lenses, which are available in both SV (single vision) and PAL (progressive) ...

http://ophthonix.izonlens.com/izon-lenses/

Both the company (Ophthonix) and its iZon lenses have been discussed in a number of posts here on OptiBoard. The posts are scattered among various OptiBoard threads or topic headings. The reaction on OptiBoard been mixed. No one seems to fully understand the optical formulas that they are using. Some who have dispensed these lenses have reported positive results; others - dissatisfaction. Anyone with more interest in what OptiBoard posters have said about this topic should try their hand with the OptiBoard Advanced Search function using keywords "Ophthonix" and "iZon".

OptiBoard member rinselberg updates the veridical paradox known as the "Monty Hall problem" under the post title Three Card Rinsel.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

I-Zon lens--- Does it Work? If so HOW?

As I understand the wavefront technology is used to correct the aberrations due to the progressive design. There is a company marketing their aberrometer to make a terrifically expensive progressive that supposeably does do what Laisek surgery does. I hear it has production problems. I forget the company.
    Bob Taylor
    The company makes the I-Zon lens. Unfortunately no one outside the company I have spoken with can explain how the wavefront measurements and high order abberations are corrected. I think originally they had a special material inside a lens sandwich which could have the index across the lens changed. By doing this they would be able to make a progessive lens with a spherical front and spherical back curve. For some reason they are now surfacing the back side and the progressive design is on the rear lens surface. This is the same method we use at ICE-TECH to produce a progressive individualized lens. I know they have a lot of patents but I can not understand how they are utilizing these patents to produce a better lens.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Thanks to Optiboard people

Hello Optiboarders,
    i want to thank you all, very much for explanation on wavefront tech.
    But , now i think that this kind of service probably will develop itself to become very reliable in terms to give final user his personal solution to his ophtalmic problem.
    Now, actual technology of lens prescription, construction and lens edging can not permit to overwork efficiently a lens to arrive at real customization.
    Ok, I know that to say:
    'My lens is builded using special laser tech externally in function to your particular kind of corneal aberration, so that you can have a HIGH DEFINITION sight '.
    can help to sell more lenses. ;)

Thanks a lot again Guys.

Mauro Ventura

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation

izonics

I think their patent number 6,942,339 explains what they are doing reasonably well (available at www.uspto.gov).

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post

I think originally they had a special material inside a lens sandwich which could have the index across the lens changed.
    I think they still do.

By doing this they would be able to make a progessive lens with a spherical front and spherical back curve.
    ...assuming that an extraordinarily wide variation in index could be produced in the gradient index layer. It's more likely that they're making rather small variations, which may nonetheless have a substantial impact.

Thread Information