Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The end of "refracting-MD's?"

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of us who have been around a while and have worked with OD's may be more jaded but my impression of most OD's over the age 30 is that they are concerned about 2 things. Reduced chair time and increased conversion rate.

The ones under 30 still feel like doctors.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have never forced any person to convert.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dr. Franklin retired anyway. He graduated Med School in 1959 so he was no spring chicken.
    Suspension lifted in Dec. 11, 2009; failed to renew his license March 15, 2010
    http://www.cpso.on.ca/docsearch/deta...=3&id=%2023701

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't think I'll ever get over how ridiculous that "Dr." Franklin is, the man's rationale for how he practiced.... SENILE?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    His exaggerations on his credentials and views on IOP measurement even after the college decision (see Scandiamed's earlier posts on this thread; Scandiamed is Dr. Franklin himself) combined with complete arrogance yet all he received was basically a slap on the wrist. Perhaps because of his age the CPSO assumed he would just retire soon anyway.

But the CPSO's attitude, as with this case and Dr. Im's, seems to allow medical doctors who are unfit to practice medicine are still OK to practice what they call "refractive optometry" (quote from the case of Dr. Im; whatever that means) in an optical store. And with Dr. Franklin's precedent-setting case, refractive MD's don't have to worry about performing a dilated fundus exam. Thus their refraction-oriented exams (or are they just sight tests?) remain quick to crank those refractions through.

Looking at a back issue of Optical Prism January 2010: Dr. Franklin MD posted a classified ad selling his Mentor Slit-lamp, Tonopen and trial lenses.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 08-31-2010 at 07:15 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    For some time now, I've been aware the phenomenon of "refracting-MD's," physcians trained in areas outside ophthalmology but basically practicing some form of optometry, and I've wondered both here and in my mind how they are legally and ethically permitted to practice in this capacity.

At least in Ontario, the registration of each physician contains the "Dr. X may practise only in the areas of medicine in which Dr. X's educated and experienced" condition on their licence. Comprehensive eye care is typically an area that that physicians are not educated in unless they complete an ophthal residency. While physicians are usually thought of as having an unlimited medical licsence, there are legal, ethical and practical limits to what each doctor does in their practice.

Now, after a google search on the term "refracting-MD, I found this "refracting-MD" and this from the CPSO:

Thoughts?

I think this Dr. really thought that what he was doing was good or he acted this way because a big and ugly lack of professionalism. Or can he have had a too big ego? If yeah, he doesn't deserve to be called a Dr.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    I want to belive that he did all those things without being conscient of it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    http://www.thewhig.com/2015/01/14/lo...of-malpractice

http://www.cpso.on.ca/CPSo/GetDocume...pe=PastFinding

Dr. Roger Cyril Wales, a recent, very similar case to Dr. Franklin's. Elderly GP doing refractions. Fully believes that with his experience finger tonometry is accurate, his skill with an ophthalmoscope is as effective as dilated exam and his manifest refractions on kids makes cycloplegia unnecessary.
    At least this time, dilated exams are deemed to be the standard even for refracting MD's, unlike the findings in the Franklin case.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 02-17-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The CPSO findings seem to suggest that cyclopegia on children is standard practice. I certainly do not cycloplege all children and I'm certain very few ODs do. What are ODs to make of this "precedent?"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My interpretation is that these were cases that in which further testing with cycloplegia was indicated.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    A case of a refracting ophthalmologist, Dr. Shin, not elderly at all, but has never had hospital privileges and at one time worked a dozen Walmarts then switched to Loblaws Superstores until his license suspension. Criminal investigation for defrauding OHIP started in 2006, 2013 found guilty at trial (had to pay back $45K - that was only for 2006-07 billing period), CPSO response suspending his license May-Oct 2015. That explains his preference for cash-only patients!

http://www.cpso.on.ca/public-registe...=4&id=%2063718

FYI this is available to the public on the CPSO website
    Last edited by NorthStar; 03-03-2016 at 07:27 PM. Reason: changed link

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Maybe this thread should closed are there is a publication ban on it. Or remove the link.

Occupation
    There are no guarantees without a website, you will not capture any of those potential patients conducting online searches for eyecare-related products and services. To Find the best Best Eye Care Practice in USA you have to go for top searches in webs.
    KC is a Digital Marketing for Medical Professionals consultant who helps companies profit via his proven techniques. KC and his team have personally managed a large digital ad spend of over $500,000 on behalf of clients and been able to consistently prove ROI.

Thread Information