Thread: Gluing OPTYL

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gluing OPTYL

Safilo sent with an optyl frame a note suggesting using a "UHU Plus" glue. What is that and where do you get it? Also my personal Carreras Andes that I kept in my car last winter suddenly had the color flake off parts of the temples. Anyone with a similar experience?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make them fix it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Safilo sent with an optyl frame a note suggesting using a "UHU Plus" glue. What is that and where do you get it? Also my personal Carreras Andes that I kept in my car last winter suddenly had the color flake off parts of the temples. Anyone with a similar experience?
    Color has been coming off of that JUNK for years. The only use I have for that stuff, is to get an Optyl frame real hot and stuff it in a wine bottle. Then fill the bottle with hot water and let it cool on it's own. Voila you have a frame in a bottle.
    Last edited by CME4SPECS; 12-19-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are you supposed to use the glue for?

I'm confused.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

UHU glue....................

Safilo sent with an optyl frame a note suggesting using a "UHU Plus" glue.
    UHU has forever been the biggest brand name for glue in Europe. They make all different types.

Optyl is an injected frame material and if you want to glue it...........good luck.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optyl cannot tolerate extreme cold as it gets brittle and breaks or flakes. Nor can it stand extreme heat unless you like spaghetti. Best kept in the hands of an optician with experience with the material or better yet, don't touch it at all. I don't want it anywhere near me or my store though it is kind of cool.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Color has been coming off of that JUNK for years. The only use I have for that stuff, is to get an Optyl frame real hot and stuff it in a wine bottle. Then fill the bottle with hot water and let it cool on it's own. Voila you have a frame in a bottle.

I so want to do this! Oh man, what's the cheapest optyl frame run these days! ? ! LOL

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the replies:)
    I've been dealing wiyh optyl since the days of terri brogan and when it was popular probably sold a thousand 1017's!
    I was really just curious what the glue was as I agree that gluing frames (especially optyl) would be done only as a last resort.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have several old Geoffrey Beene Optyl frames in bottles of various sizes. I preferred to heat the bottle some in the salt pan to let it reshape itself though. My original Optyl rep told me he'd give me $50 if I could get on in the bottle with lenses in it too. Found some old 1.5mm planos, cut them, tinted them and glued them into the frame. Heated all, got one side in before they cooled enough to snap the lens.
    I am a bit put off by Safilo buying Optyl , putting a few frames out then killing it.
    If I ever needed to find a replacement frame, even odd shapes, I'd always look to Optyl because you could put a round lens in a square frame and never tell. The ultimate in reshaping, at least after they got rid of the all-Optyl temples.:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    I so want to do this! Oh man, what's the cheapest optyl frame run these days! ? ! LOL
    LOL! I've done a few of them! Don't you have an box of old frames, with an optyl in it? The easiest way is to slide a temple in first then heat the eyewire and fold it to fit in the bottle top. Just keep heating and stuffing. Once it is in the frame pour real hot water into the bottle. If the water is hot enough the frame will return to original shape. It makes a great coversation piece. Don't burn yourself!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah yes..the old frame in a bottle trick! Many a Terri Brogan passed thru my hands. Optyl was great for putting lenses from a broken frame into, until the patient heard the cost! Edging for these was fun. Cut .5 to 1mm oversize and see how much like a rope of fettucini you could make the frame into.

Great fun: Tell the newbie that you NEVER heat for adjustments! ;)

Ah..I can almost hear the snap of the temples!:D

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    LOL! I've done a few of them! Don't you have an box of old frames, with an optyl in it? The easiest way is to slide a temple in first then heat the eyewire and fold it to fit in the bottle top. Just keep heating and stuffing. Once it is in the frame pour real hot water into the bottle. If the water is hot enough the frame will return to original shape. It makes a great coversation piece. Don't burn yourself!

You know, I wish I'd known about this while I was neutralizing and preparing all those GOS frames (well over 10,000 neutralized in the last 5 years of my dispensing career).

(sigh)

off to Goodwill! LOL

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the replies:)
    I've been dealing wiyh optyl since the days of terri brogan and when it was popular probably sold a thousand 1017's!
    I was really just curious what the glue was as I agree that gluing frames (especially optyl) would be done only as a last resort.
    I wore that frame!! In fact, I still have it and can still see out of it. :) I sure wouldn't wear it, though.

Thread Information