Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABO Renewal

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :cheers: Pay the darn $85.00. Get over it. It is a credential. Without it you are just another Joe with a lot of BS about your qualifications. People lie in paper you know and at least the ABO is a prove that an INDEPENDENT third party can testify that you do have the minimal credentials in the industry.
    Minimal and all without it you are a nothing without credentials while with it you are still a nothing but at least you are certified....:bbg: Who knows maybe your wife is a better optician than you!:)

Dannyboy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile I Vote...pay!!

[quote=Dannyboy;169419]:cheers: Pay the darn $85.00. Get over it.

I agree... the Certificate looks good on a wall, the major chains all recognize it, it enhances your resume... and it's tax deductible.

But don't stop there, go for the 'advanced' ABO/NCLE :cheers: certification. Lifetime learning is involved here.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    As opticians I feel we must look at the ABO/NCLE as a starting point. If we cant agree that it is a must for every optician to have what do you think are your chances of obtaining licensor in MI,OR,PA. Every state that has "license opticians" uses the ABO/NCLE in some part to decide who can become a license optician. Use the ABO/NCLE to your advantage by rallying local opticians to become certified then as a group contact your state Representatives and push to become a license state, then you can see the monetary payoff.

I totally agree -

Here's what I'd like to see ~

1) the ABO toughened up a bit

2) every optician in a non-licensed state take the test and show your credentials - if you have passed the ABO and think it's too easy then take the AC

Apathy seems to be keeping the opticians down ... what's that quote ... Be the change you want to see in the world? (Ghandi? )

IMHO, the more ABO certified opticians in non-licensed states, the better -strength in numbers to start flexing some muscle - I think it shows "hey, I take this job seriously enough to invest some time & money in it"...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    IMHO, the more ABO certified opticians in non-licensed states, the better -strength in numbers to start flexing some muscle - I think it shows "hey, I take this job seriously enough to invest some time & money in it"...
    DITTO,DITTO,DITTO!!
    As opticians we want to see license in every state, we want the public and our peers to take us seriously. We want to be thought of as professionals. There is a well established way of doing that, ABO/NCLE. Yeah, it too easy and you may or may not get reimbursed, but if every one who works as an optician gets the certifications that are avalabile we as a profession stand a greater chance of gaining licensure in these nonlicense states. Its a great place to start, and its better than doing nothing.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    DITTO,DITTO,DITTO!!
    As opticians we want to see license in every state, we want the public and our peers to take us seriously. We want to be thought of as professionals. There is a well established way of doing that, ABO/NCLE. Yeah, it too easy and you may or may not get reimbursed, but if every one who works as an optician gets the certifications that are avalabile we as a profession stand a greater chance of gaining licensure in these nonlicense states. Its a great place to start, and its better than doing nothing.
    Exactly! :cheers:

I love this statement:

"it's better than doing nothing"

Did anyone else see the movie V for Vendetta ?

I have a mental picture of all the opticians in unlicensed states, forming a line, marching with our ABO's ... I'm not sure if it would be more effective with or without the Guy Fawkes masks ... LOL

(sigh) I'm tired, feeling silly and haven't had enough coffee this morning (obviously ;) )

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every state that has "license opticians" uses the ABO/NCLE in some part to decide who can become a license optician.
    Hey Ziggy,

I understand your point. And not to be off topic, cus ya'll know how I feel about certification, many, many letters after your name and the skills to back them up.

However, just a correction. NJ is one of them there license states that doesn't even consider the ABO exam towards licensure. They think it is a wee bit too easy. The NJ written, 200 MC questions, now that's a good solid test with a reasonable degree of difficulty.

Just my 2 cents, Happy Holidays everybody!

Mike
    Michael Della Pesca
    Quantum Optical
    http://quantumoptical.com

NEW! Online ABO/NCLE CE Credits for Opticians!

NEW! Online REVIEW courses for the ABO and NCLE exams!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Mike, I didn't know that. I just quick read the NJ statute and no mention of the ABO/NCLE. Are there any other states like this?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Question

so i guess the question still is, what has the ABO done for you??
    does having it change your rate of pay?? not in my experiance.
    do or will they stand up for you in any fashion?? again not in my experiance.
    i personally know of 2 opticians right now without an ABO, and only half of the experiance that i have.. they make the same amount of money!!
    i would like to hear from from anyone who has a story that may defend the ABO.
    is their anyone out there that the ABO has actually done anything for??:hammer:
    Last edited by specs2see; 12-24-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What, exactly do you expect them to do?

The ABO-NCLE is a credentialing agency not a lobbying agency. The OAA is the lobbying organization that also provides education. The NAO is an educational organization.

Occupation

Top 10 facts about ABO I think everybody should know.

1.It is a certifying body accredited by NOCA. It is the only nationally certified organization for opticianry.
    2.The ABO and NCLE were developed in 1979 as an entry level examination for the minimum required knowledge to work as an optician or contact lens fitter.
    3. There are advance level certifications available for opticianry and contact lens fitting. ABO-AC NCLE-AC.
    3. The ABO was selected by 90% of the state licensing boards as part of their licensing procedure because it is the only objective accredited examination available nationwide and administered by an independent organization. Most states also have a practical portion. 23% of the state licensing boards require both the ABO and NCLE.
    4. The ABO test has not been changed or dumbed down since its inception. There have always been multiple test and the test are reviewed yearly to make sure they are relevant to the profession. (including current technology and current terminology) ( some questions have been changed because they don't apply to todays working environment - like read right bifocals and PMMA contact lens)
    5. Many national, regional and local employers require the ABO to be employed and if you are not current they will give you a grace period to retake and pass the examination or you can be terminated.
    6. ABO and NCLE in the past have supported OAA, NAO and CLSA with educational grants which were used by state association to educate opticians, support opticanry schools and assist nation organizations with issues important to opticianry.
    7. A recent independent survey of optical employers found that:
    • 28% required certification of their employees
    • 75% gave preference in hiring to certified applicants
    • 75% paid higher beginning salaries to certified personnel
    • 40% gave preference for promotions to ABO or NCLE certified employees
    • After 10 years in dispensing, certified employees earn approximately $6,000 more per year than noncertified employees
    8. If you move to another state and that state is licensed more than likely you will have to be current with the ABO and NCLE to be licensed in addition to other requirements.
    9. Chances are the with health care being regulated and the competency of optical personnel being questioned by many - the ABO and or NCLE will more than likely be required by managed care plans, insurance plans and government programs.
    10. If you leave opticianry and become employed by an optically related field, (equipment, frames, lenses etc). The ABO is required for you to be an approved speaker for continuing education hours. This is becoming a requirement by more and more employers who want speakers to promote new technology, products and services being introduced in the industry.

Hope this helps change some minds about renewal,
    I am renewing mine again and I took the test in 1979, twenty six years ago. I have not regreted one dollar invested.

Rep

Occupation
    Rep - Very nice post :cheers:

(although I do not agree with number 4)

Occupation

I can understand

Many others have posted how much less difficult they think it is. However they ABO/NCLE have an outside organization that evaluates the examinations periodically and they clycometrically evaluate every test and every question.

I can't speak for the last eight years, but the 5 years previous to that, the number of opticians passing actually decreased over the historical averages. Not a significant amount but a measurable amount.

If the test were getting less difficult the number passing it would tend to be higher not lower.

Rep

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post

If the test were getting less difficult the number passing it would tend to be higher not lower.

Rep
    The reason the fail rate has increased is directly do to the increased number of the "opticians" in the retail sector. What I mean is the new "optician" is taught how to sell and the culture of the company they work for not optics.

Thread Information