Thread: Optometrists life in Canada

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Crier Optometrists life in Canada

What can you tell me about an optometrist life in Canada that may help me decide whether emigration is a good idea or not. Is it worth making the move. I've got a good employed optom job in UK that is close to home. Why should it be better in Canada
    Is the winter weather really awful in Toronto?

I am an employed optom and have to work daily like I am on a conveyor belt, rushing through tests every 20mins and running behind all day, "walk-in" customers/patients being squeezed in between existing appointments, missing lunch braek because too many people have been walk-ins have been squeezed in and so on...?
    I recently saw a job advertised in St Johns Canada saying 20 min testing is required. So one tell me life as an optometrist is great in Canada and not rush rush rush.
    I know some of you optoms in Canada will hate the idea of immigrant optoms stealing your jobs and deliberately want to tell me how horrible optom life is - just to keep me away .
    Please don't. I'm a nice person. Thankyou:) :) :)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    ........................immigrant optoms stealing your jobs and deliberately want to tell me how horrible optom life is - just to keep me away .
    Please don't. I'm a nice person.
    First thing they are going to do to you is................sending you right back to school to learn optometry all over again.

Once that is done you can establish yourself and work at your leisure, becasue you are the boss and the more you work, the more you make. Or you can go back to be employed and work the same way as you do right now in the UK.

You will have a beautiful summer in Canada with hot weather and air conditioned offices.............but you will have to pay for it by going through, in you eyes, a very tough, ugly and cold winter.

Independent optometrist's in Canada in general do make a comfortable living.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Wave

Thanks for the reply Chris

If I do the coversion course into optometry then I will not be a "Doctor of optometry" because I will not have done the full 4-5 year course. Will that cause employment problems - do people only want to see OD's (even in large multiple chains) ?

An employed optometrist job will be the easiest to settle into I think. Can you give me some approx salary details for an optom job in a multiple in say,Toronto (In Canadian Dollars)?

Do multiples operate a conveyor belt 20min testing system there and do they whip you (like a slave) if you start running behind? Or are optoms so in demand (because of undersupply) that the treat you well (the way they used to in UK 10yrs ago).

Do optoms have to be able to prescribe drugs or can we just refer diseased patients to a medic?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Wait for more answer......................

Let the others answer those questions............at this time it is still night time over here 5.50am. They should have had their first coffee in a few hours.

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zzzzzz....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Let the others answer those questions............at this time it is still night time over here 5.50am. They should have had their first coffee in a few hours.
    Wow, do u always work so early in the AM?! Kudos to you, I cant imagine anything before 7am. LOL.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wave Optometrist Required in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    What can you tell me about an optometrist life in Canada that may help me decide whether emigration is a good idea or not. Is it worth making the move. I've got a good employed optom job in UK that is close to home. Why should it be better in Canada
    Is the winter weather really awful in Toronto?

I am an employed optom and have to work daily like I am on a conveyor belt, rushing through tests every 20mins and running behind all day, "walk-in" customers/patients being squeezed in between existing appointments, missing lunch braek because too many people have been walk-ins have been squeezed in and so on...?
    I recently saw a job advertised in St Johns Canada saying 20 min testing is required. So one tell me life as an optometrist is great in Canada and not rush rush rush.
    I know some of you optoms in Canada will hate the idea of immigrant optoms stealing your jobs and deliberately want to tell me how horrible optom life is - just to keep me away .
    Please don't. I'm a nice person. Thankyou:) :) :)
    HI Hero,
    We are a locally owned and operated optical dispensary located on Broadway Avenue in the heart of beautiful Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Saskatoon still remains the hottest economy in North America and possibly the world!! We have been in business for over 6 years and have developed an extremely devoted client base, who are now friends and treated like family. The Broadway area is an eclectic, youthful area, characterized by its predominantly pedestrian clientele, diverse demographics and colorful economy. The area was recently dubbed "Saskatoon's Most Vibrant Community". Broadway residents and patrons are extremely faithful to the businesses in the area. Our clientele is very loyal and in a recent random client survey, we discovered that 95% of those surveyed, would much prefer to obtain their eye exam here, the same place they purchase their eyewear, rather than leaving the Broadway area to acquire a new prescription.

On average we receive 5 phone calls per day, requesting an eye exam, a service we don't even advertise. Between these calls and our client base, there is great opportunity to earn a six figure income. As such, we will be willing to guarantee that income! We are looking to team up with an Optometrist who is willing to start up their own practice, in conjunction with our dispensary.

You wouldn't have to be run off your feet and miss lunch breaks unless you want to!!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Um, this is from almost 4 years ago.... and probably should be in the Canadian Forum.... Anyway, hope the OP is doing well, whether in Canada or elsewhere.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Um, this is from almost 4 years ago.... and probably should be in the Canadian Forum.... Anyway, hope the OP is doing well, whether in Canada or elsewhere.
    Ah, excuse me......that is why they are asking to get an optometrist in = they can't see!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    I am aware that it is from four years ago thank you.. there's always a possibility he/she many not be happy where they are... In Canada we call it 'scouting' :\

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Ah, excuse me......that is why they are asking to get an optometrist in = they can't see!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Your right we can't see past NOT having an Optometrist on board so were even looking in the States!! Better than nothing!!! I jest.... :)

Thread Information