Thread: Things I wish someone had told me.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Things I wish someone had told me.

The purpose of this thread is to establish a list of things that no one ever tell us. The thread is to list complaints we have heard from patients about prescribers, opticians, techs, office help, and competitors etc. We never dare tell them. Some of them will be things we wish we had known about ourselves, some of them we wish we could tell the doctor but are afraid of creating animosity. I hope that only the complaint or observation will appear and no names of any competitor or prescriber, or optician will appear. And I hope that we will all benefit and see opportunities to improve our own practices.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Va

20/20 is not attainable.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Starter list.

1: I don't like to go there because they always make be buy things I don't really need or want.
    2: My doctor won't give me my glasses prescription.
    3: When I go to the doctor's office he only spends a few minites with me, all the rest is done by techs (his nurse, his asstant, etc.).
    4: My doctor says an eye exam doesn't include a refraction. I went to the doctor to get a prescription for glasses and he says he didn't examine me for that, or he didn't write one.
    5: I don't like to go there all the frames are so dirty I can't see through them.
    6: The doctor dilates my eyes and only sends me into his optical shop after the exam. I never know what my new glasses are going to look like because I can't see them after he has dilated my eyes.
    7: It's so hard to get an appointment and I have to jump though hoops getting through the automated answering system.
    8: Something it took me a long time to learn but has proved to be the case. I used to think patronizing customers businesses or socializing was good. In the long run I have found one should never hit on them for anything. Not privileges in thier fishing pond, or anything. Even using thier professional services (be it plumbing or whatever) can be a mistake, especially if you have a complaint with same you can end up losing a customer.
    8: I can't get though the chain of women on the phone in the office in a hurrry when I have a real problem, like an eye injury.
    9: The doctor I want to see in that office is never available, I end up having to see another doctor in the office.
    10: The doctor (optician, tech, or whatever) won't ever listen to me. He just looks at me and prescribes something.
    11: Thier prices are too high.
    12: Thier frames (glasses) are flimsy.
    13: I can't see out of my glasses and they won't do anything about it.
    14: My glasses are too big (or too small) why can't I get cute ones like I see my friends wearing?
    15: These are supposed to get dark outside, they don't work (or they don't work in the car).
    16: They won't fix anything, they just make me buy a new pair of glasses.
    18: I used to buy a pair of glasses and they lasted until my prescription changes. Now they don't seem to last but a year or two.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 12-13-2006 at 09:56 AM. Reason: more to say

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unspoken Silence

The saying "Words are Silver" but "Silence is Golden" mean alot to me. Often I think patients are afraid to speak up when it comes to complaining about their new RX's. They feel as though we will all look at them as if they are the problem, not the RX or the way the glasses have been made. I find it very helpful at dispensing to remind the patient that I NEED TO HEAR BACK FROM THEM IF THEY HAVE ISSUES WITH THEIR NEW GLASSES. I feel this assures them that it is ok to come back and allow us to work with them and solve problems instead of alienating them. I am extremely patient oriented so I welcome the patients that AKA are termed as PITA'S. I find that I learn more and develop better relationships in all aspects of my work and personal life by adhering to these basic principles of being a good listener and always putting the patients needs and concerns above all else. :p Happy Holidays to ALL!! Angel of Grace

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I never really liked my new frames, but when I went back, the person said they were fantastic and I looked great!
    Or my husband hated them but the guy said my husband was nuts-they looked wonderful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Things I wish someone had told me.

Things I wish someone had told me: The existance of the Optiboard (before I found it myself).
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Thread Information