Thread: Officemate patient list

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Officemate patient list

I'm looking at acquiring an office that uses OfficeMate and I likely will not continue with it. Can someone out there tell me how to print a patient list (with chart numbers). Their directions in the help menu are deliberately obscure and they won't help me unless I pay them $900.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    can't help you, but curious, why not continue with officemate?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well -- it would require a license transfer fee ($900) then $900 per year to "rent it". If you sell the office the next guy has to do the same.

I know several ODs who are happy with Microsoft Office and/or QuickBooks Pro. They're faster, more powerful programs and, when you buy them (<$500 each) -- they're yours forever with no BS.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    have the current owner of the s/w ask the support question for u. make "must have pt data on a more accessable format" as one of the contingency on purchase.
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's part of the problem -- the practice is a "repo" and the older (former) owner of the practice didn't purchase the software (he did renew it a year ago though). The guy who did buy it has hit the road. I guess I could try to do it that way -- of course the OfficeMate people could just tell me too instead of dumping BS on me...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm sorry, I was thinking you had the examwriter portion as well. Sounds like you just have the dispensing/scheduling part, right?

I was going to add that if you had access to the computer you may be able to do a search somehow and extract the info that way, perhaps alongside someone with database experience.

I know a lot of the other office software companies offer to transfer info to their new system, but its always for a fee. You may be able to have them do it even if you don't buy their system. Worth a shot.

I've been reading into quickbooks pro. Seems to be good, but there are people that have their own problems with that as well and they do stop supporting it after a bit. Good thing is that there are many many more people that have quickbooks to ask questions, so its at least a bit more standard.

Sadly, most software is moving toward the "rental" type of agreement instead of ownership, although if you read the fine print most of them really only allow you the right to use the software. You may not actually own the software you think you do...!

good luck.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    So...somebody with whom you have no business relationship has declined to do something for free? Will you be giving exams for OfficeMate's programmers for free?

As someone who previously made a living by running a software department, I'm always amazed how often people insist that free software is somehow a birthright. Free upgrades, free copies, free tech support. Comparing OfficeMate's support policies (which has a very limited potential market), to Microsoft Office's (which has an incredibly wide potential market) isn't quite fair. On the assumption that OfficeMate or any other software package are a "for-profit" company written by paid programmers, you can't begrudge them when they want to charge for their time.

It's kind of like when 1-800-CONTACTS or some Internet sales site wants people to come to your office for free services.
    RT

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use Officemate. It's an okay program but has it's faults. If you can access the program then you can print what you are looking for from the reports area of the software. There are many reports that would be useful to you, especially if the previous owner did his accounts receivables through Officemate.

Let me know if you need help.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    No -- I'm not looking for anything for free and I do appreciate the necessity to protect business interests for software vendors. I think you misunderstood -- the license for the software is current and valid through Feb 2007. I would just like to print this list for 2 reasons:

1) the files are numbered and if the computer crashed, I wouldn't even be able to locate a patient's chart.

2) I may choose to drop them and go another way when the term expires rather than pay another $2000 -- I would still need to locate charts.

I'm miffed because the directions on how to do this in the help section don't make sense and the company won't help.

Would this happen with a Quicken or Microsoft product? If I sold a business with my info on their program would I have to make the buyer cough up $1000 to be considered for a transfer? (This is not a given I'm told since the original license is "non-transferable...)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I certainly don't want to make light of your situation, but at least you don't have one of the truly expensive EMR systems available. Some are more than $20k and probably don't allow transfer of usage either.

I don't have officemate, but you may at least consider looking into the sytem a bit more before you give up on it. One of the biggest factors in success of a program is usage, and officemate does seem to be rather popular and updated somewhat regularly. They are adding support for newer machines (refractors, perimeters, etc.). I'm not trying to endorse them outright, but just saying that perhaps there has been a miscommunication at some point.

If nothing else, try to call back and speak to a different rep or tech support person.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know -- most are more expensive than OfficeMate. For what I need at this stage -- none are worth their price to me. I already know how to use Quickbooks and will only pay once.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Read the EULA (End User License Agreement.) Everything is spelled out there. Some applications allow you to transfer the license, others don’t.

I am in favor of using applications like QuickBooks, Peachtree, Money or any off the shelf system. This eliminates a lot of problems particularly when your computer is “mission critical.” Give Microsoft Office Small Business Edition a look see. Highly recommended.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What all are you planning to use Quickbooks for? Do you already have it? I've wondered how much can be done with software such as this. I know Quickbooks is a pretty popular choice for most ODs I've talked with that do most of their own business management. But its also used by ODs that have EMR as well. Not sure how much over lap there is or which is better for stuff such as inventory, etc. I can certainly see an advantage in having insurance, frame inventory, contact lens ordering, etc all in the same program.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've used q-books for 16 years and while it's one of the best financial programs (for the money), it falls way short as the practice grows.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    jcooperod,

My name is Zachary Barvitz and I am the CMO for Liquid Software Designs, we would be happy to export your data for you at no cost and would like to offer you the opportunity to become a beta user of our practice management software LiquidVision. You can call me at 503-336-5213 or e-mail at zachary@liquidsoftwaredesigns.com you can also get more information about our practice management software at www.liquidsoftwaredesigns.com.

I look forward to helping you to export your data.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Where do you find that QuickBooks comes up short?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Wave Crystal PM

We transfer from Office Mate about 3 times a month. http://www.crystalpm.com

Thread Information