Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mormons?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Mormons?

I don't mean for this to be a controversial thread. My sister has started to recieve regular visits from the missionaries of the LDS faith. I must admit that I do not know much about the beliefs of these people and my sister does not have enough knowledge to really be able to explain them yet. I find it difficult to find "objective" (if there even is such a thing) info on the internet.

Since optiboarders know everything else i thought I would find out if there was a mormon on the board or if anyone knew very much about these people.

Thanks alot!

ad

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    try Wikipedia. Not reliable, but objective.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Research

Find out all you can about Joseph Smith then decide. He was a dude for sure, liked women and made no qualms about taking someone else's wife.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of my best friends are mormon, but I've never really asked them about their faith....I love knowing about different ways of practicing spirituality, but not if it is gonna upset a friend, or turn any discussion into a potential "conversion" moment.

i'm devoutly areligious.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    If you talk to a mormon, the will work really hard to show you how they have a lot in common with most Christian denominations and that they are pretty much the same. I will not pretend to say that one belief system is better than another, however, it needs to be noted that the Mormon beliefs are not the same at all.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make sure you check out the Southpark episode concerning Mormons. It will give you some perspective.:bbg:
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    Make sure you check out the Southpark episode concerning Mormons. It will give you some perspective.:bbg:
    That was pretty silly, and not very factual.
    Aren't these the guys who go door to door to explain their faith as part of their church's requirements? I'm sure you could find someone to talk at length with you!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mormonism believes that Jesus came to North America, and that there is a testament to that.. the book of Mormon. It's considered to be a continuation of the bible. It was apparently discovered by Joseph Smith, around 1840, (?) and was translated by Joseph Smith with the help of a pair of "divine" spectacles, and the help of an angel named Moroni. (?) They are very strong in supporting the traditional family, and the Mormons I have met have been very nice, devout people. All this info is from memory, so if I have made any errors, someone can correct me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    That was pretty silly, and not very factual.
    Wait.... are you trying to tell me that a comedy, Southpark, is silly and not very factual? I can't believe it!
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You see them round here a lot. Young smartly dressed American men going door to door. The fact one was related to the Osmond family in some way made the local paper. Apparently the missionaries live a very frugal existence. About as true as any religion, but some people seem to need that extreme control.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My high school had a very high proportion of mormon students. Never really understood why the relatively affluent suburb of Sacramento was like that.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't say too much about thier religious belives or diviations from other Christian beliefs. But those that I have known are good people who help each other and others when there is a problem.
    If ones house or barn burns down 50 or more appear with building materials, at the end of the day the barn is re-built.

Howard Hughs used to say they were the only people that could be trusted.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Mormons in Jerusalem

BYU has a huge campus on the Mount of Olives ,
    they also prefer to be closer to G-d.
    http://www.jcpa.org/dje/articles2/mormon.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well there is a lot of mis-information out there about the Mormon religion.

The Book of Mormon is believed to be another testament of Christ. As was mentioned previously, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believe that Christ came to the Americas after His Resurrection and spread the Good News to this part of the world.

The Book of Mormon is NOT thought to be a replacement for the Bible, instead it is a companion that very much parallels the Bible in terms of lessons taught and the principles of faith.

They believe that God the Father, and Jesus Christ are not one and the same. That they are two distinct beings. They do not believe in transfiguration, the Sacramental water and bread is in rememberance of the body and blood of Christ, and taken weekly...it is not miraculously tranformed into the actual blood and body. Baptism is by immersion at an age when the person can make the decision for themselves. For children born into the church, that is about 8 years of age. It is believed that the children and other people who have not had the opportunity or the capacity to make a rational decision on their own will be given the opportunity after this life to learn and make that choice in the afterlife. The belief is that judgement will come after the Second Coming, and even those who have passed to the other side will have a chance to contine to learn and grow in gospel principles to achieve exaltation.

Joseph Smith was a Prophet and the founder of the church. They worship Jesus as being the Son of God, and not just another prophet. Joseph Smith is honored, but it is Jesus and God who are worshipped.

Family is the heart of this church. In fact, the family unit is considered to be the most important relationship outside of your personal relationship with God. They believe that families are together forever, and care should be taken to make sure the whole family is worthy for all that God can offer. Many familes find it worthwhile to do geneology to trace their families back to their origins. Church and community service are deemed important as well. Grace alone won't save you. "Faith without works is dead." You must demonstrate and live the life you believe in, in order to be saved.

This Church has a long list of resources and service organizations that it promotes to help the community at large. Adoption services, welfare programs, canneries, building services along with emergency funds are used to help those in need.

The ministry is not paid. Members are "called" to be participants in the organization. Any member may be asked to deliver a talk or sermon, serve as the local leader, direct the music ministry or teach Sunday school. The first Sunday of the month is typically reserved for the sharing of testimonies and requests for prayers.

The Chapel buildings are open to everyone. It is the Temples that once dedicated are only open to members in good standing. These places are considered sacred and special cermonies for marriage and sealing families together take place there.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    Acutally the gentelman who created and write for South Park grew up in the Mormon faith...

They aren't the most devout by any means.. however they do have some insight that even people who do practice the faith find insightful and humorous.

Mormons can take a joke better than the Church of Scientology :)

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    There are three people that I generally prefer to assciate with - Military, Freemasons and Mormons. By and large a fine group of people.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Acutally the gentelman who created and write for South Park grew up in the Mormon faith...

They aren't the most devout by any means.. however they do have some insight that even people who do practice the faith find insightful and humorous.

Cassandra
    I couldn't find anything about Trey growing up mormon, I always thought he was Catholic, Matt on the other hand is Jewish. But I do love their approach to religion, a lot of tolerance and a lot of razzing. Everyone deserves a fair shake. Your last comment is right on.
    I remember as a kid (growing up in a very non-religious household) and we had a friend of a friend stay with us for a week. He was on his mission and he was one of the greatest guys I have ever met. I should really look him up sometime. Hard worker (we built a deck that week) and funny as can be. I have a couple of friends who are mormon and they are really good people.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just did a bit more research.. I had read during the 90's that Trey grew up in the Mrmon faith .. and that is how he was so knowledgable about it. It was also the basis of that faith that he used for creating the character he plays in Orgazmo.

There are still rumors out there that he did.. however Trey states that he just grew up in a predominantly Mormon area in Colorado and that he dated people in the Mormon faith.

So I stand corrected on that part.. :P

Though, I will say that I personally though the episodes dealing with Mormonism on South Park have been more fair to that religion, than they have to many others. At least none of my friends and family got po'd watching it :)

Cassandra

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cassandra
    :cheers:
    ...Just ask me...

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Cassandra
    Your quote has been sent to the mothership for interpretation and our lawyers will be contacting you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Can't say too much about thier religious belives or diviations from other Christian beliefs. But those that I have known are good people who help each other and others when there is a problem.
    If ones house or barn burns down 50 or more appear with building materials, at the end of the day the barn is re-built.

Howard Hughs used to say they were the only people that could be trusted.

Chip
    I think you might be referring to the Amish. Anyone who wants to know about Mormonism should read the Book of Mormon. My daughter was quite taken with the clean cut well dressed young men at our door. They left us the book so we read it. If you have any common sense at all you will see it for what it is.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

20 year old 'Elder's?

The one thing that always strikes me as odd is the clean cut, fresh faced (and barely ready to be shaven) young men impeccably dressed in their crisp white shirts and neat black slacks, prominently displaying their 'Elder Smith' name tags. How, pray tell, does a 20 year old garner the 'Elder' title?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    I don't mean for this to be a controversial thread. My sister has started to recieve regular visits from the missionaries of the LDS faith. I must admit that I do not know much about the beliefs of these people and my sister does not have enough knowledge to really be able to explain them yet. I find it difficult to find "objective" (if there even is such a thing) info on the internet.

Since optiboarders know everything else i thought I would find out if there was a mormon on the board or if anyone knew very much about these people.

Thanks alot!

ad

I grew up in a predominately mormon community (in southern Idaho).

While I am not mormon, I do feel I understand many of their beliefs and customs.

Personally, here are some issues I have with the mormon faith:

1) the church teaches that men will become gods over their own planets (the bible teaches that Adam and Eve were deceived by the serpent that if they eat of the tree of knowledge their eyes would be opened and they would become like God)

2) Is there one "God" or are there many "gods" ? The mormons teach that their god was once a man and eventually "became" a god - ruling over this planet. Some mormons will attain godhood and become gods ruling over planets. The bible teaches there is only one God.

3) the church teaches that there is marriage in heaven (Paul teaches in the NT that there is no marriage in heaven)

4) the whole "grace" (salvation without works) and "works" (yeah, Christ's death provided attonement but I have to work at my salvation, too)

5) the church teaches that lucifer and Jesus are spirit brothers (the bible teaches that lucifer is a fallen archeangel,a created being - while Jesus is eternal God)

NOTE: the really cool chart from the BBC didn't paste correctly and I can't find the link (no, I didn't copy the address - - bad Karen, bad Karen ... ugh) !!

here's some links to other faith comparison charts -

http://www.mormonchallenge.com/ref_biblecontra.htm

http://www.mormonchallenge.com/ref_compare.htm

http://www.beliefnet.com/features/mormonism.html
    Last edited by GOS_Queen; 12-10-2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: the bbc chart didn't paste correctly - will try again!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    ooops....double post
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    My first husband was Mormon and I briefly joined the church, baptised and the whole shebang. I will say that it is a group of folks who hold the family in very high regard, it was one of the things that impressed me about them. I find it interesting that the new wave of "elders" seems to leave out some of their long held beliefs when they do their door to door thing. (BTW they spend time at kind of an "elder school" to get that title. They are trained before they get sent out to agrue with girls like me) -like that whole this is Adam's planet thing and that they used to talk about Jesus and Lucifer being brothers.....I also object to the several tiers of the "Celestial Kingdom". Although the idea of if I screw up going to Spirit Prison" and getting a second chance beats the heck out of the Lake of Fire;)....But what really causes me to leave the church was my "discliplinary hearing" that took place after I made the mistake of telling my bishop the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Then a group of men got to go into another room and talk to God about what my punishment should be. (Now mind you, none of these other men knew me personally) They decided I was not allowed to take sacrament or give my testimony-and let me tell you I have a HECK of a testimony. It is pretty much an act of God that I am still here on this planet. I was pregnant, alone and very scared and wish they had handled my situation differently. I have since picked a different church to call my home.

Interestingly, you will find there is little or no archaeological evidence to support Christs "visit" to North America. No pools of Siloam (sp?) or the like being uncovered.....
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Thread Information