Thread: Anyone used a Kowa Fundus Camera?

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Anyone used a Kowa Fundus Camera?

I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic, not sure where else to post.

Has anyone had any experience with the Kowa FX-50C or FX-50R retinal camera?

I'm looking for a manual, or other information, and its pretty hard to come by. Personal experience would probably be even better.

thanks,

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I am interested in a digital fundus camera. Can you give me a quote and a site with sample images?
    PLEASE SEND ALL DETAILS TO ME AT ;
    hayatkhan123@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a Kowa and beside a reaccuring spot in the middle we love it.

They have great customer service and value your imput. The customer service number is 1800966-5692.

christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by orangezero View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with the Kowa FX-50C or FX-50R retinal camera?
    thanks,
    Hey Doc, we have a FX500-C is this the same camera? if so let me know and I'll see if I can locate the manual and copy it for you.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by hayatkhan123 View Post
    I am interested in a digital fundus camera. Can you give me a quote and a site with sample images?
    PLEASE SEND ALL DETAILS TO ME AT ;
    hayatkhan123@yahoo.com

Thanks,

I'm sorry. Not for sale. I was looking for info.

I'm not sure if the FX500C is the same camera, probably a newer model I'm guessing. Haven't seen much from that one. Thanks for the offer. I finally got a hold of Kowa and they overnighted me a copy of the manual. Kudos to them, good support in my book.

From what I've been able to round up, companies offering a digital conversion range from $6000 to $8000 as a starting point...

I'm still working on figuring it out myself. I'll try to post back if I come up with anything, but I believe I'm going to modify the polaroid camera back with a T-mount and a nikon D200, using the Nikon Capture 4.0 program via a computer to display images.

Thanks everyone who replied.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

digital upgrade for kowa fx-50r

I came across your old listing from last year and wonder if you were ever able to get the kowa fx-50r converted into digital? If so, how well has it worked and how much did it cost you?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at buying an used fundus camera and convert it to digital. One company suggested that I look at getting either the kowa fx-50, the topcon 50-vt, or the topcon 50ex. I know that the topcon 50ex tends to be quite expensive, even used while the other two are much cheaper costing only a few thousand.

thanks,

jkwhsu,

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by JKWHSU View Post
    I came across your old listing from last year and wonder if you were ever able to get the kowa fx-50r converted into digital? If so, how well has it worked and how much did it cost you?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at buying an used fundus camera and convert it to digital. One company suggested that I look at getting either the kowa fx-50, the topcon 50-vt, or the topcon 50ex. I know that the topcon 50ex tends to be quite expensive, even used while the other two are much cheaper costing only a few thousand.

thanks,

jkwhsu,
    I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but I did a conversion on a topcon 2 years ago. There are a couple of factors to consider. The archiving, backup, viewing, presentation and editing software is really nice to have and you normally wouldn't have this on a homemade conversion. Secondly, you probably won't have the ability to take photos with more than one field of view. It is also hard to get a digital camera with a sensor size that matches the dimensions of 35mm film...which throws off your field of view. In most cases you will only have half the field...which is OK for posterior pole, but not for mid periphery.

Overall we were disappointed with our conversion and bought a new Kowa.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think it turned out good enough to use for patients.

Couple points to consider:
    1. Canon 5D ($2000 or so) is really the camera you need to make it work correctly because of the sensor size issues
    2. Timing the camera and flash of the kowa is a huge issue, and one I haven't fully dealt with yet. (this is generally what you pay for with conversions)
    3. The optics of the kowa are *probably* as good as most, but I'm sure some are better
    4. Software included with most cameras seems overrated and overpriced

I have been using the windows file structure just fine, along with a few viewing programs. Its easy to edit files this way, even using free programs like paint.net

I can write more later if you need additional help or have any other questions

Thread Information