Thread: Polycarbonate SV Lenses

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Polycarbonate SV Lenses

I am interested to know what diameter polycarbonate SV lenses most people use or would have interest in using for minus and plus? Does the design influence which product you work with (aspheric poly vs. spheric poly)? Does a 60mm aspheric plus have much interest?

Doc

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Though I seldom use poly, I'll throw my 2 cents in as far as diameters go because it is applicable to other materials. Minus lenses, as big as you can make them, 80/85mm, we are doing more and more larger frames and every mm helps. As far as plus goes I'd like to see some larger diameters in lower powers, 70/75mm. We do number of larger nylor and metal grooves and I cringe every time I have a client that wants a pair of +1.00 in them. In most cases I have to charge them our surface price, which can add up quick. For the most I won't use stock for anything over a +2.00 (frame choice being a large factor). I've lost a few jobs because they love the frame but the lenses are too expensive, and they are only +0.75.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My experience 65 aspheric poly in + works the best!
    In minus you can probably get away also with 65 mm if it makes a difference!
    60 mm aspheric poly might be still too big for small children frames and too small for a normal size rimlesses!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    Though I seldom use poly, I'll throw my 2 cents in as far as diameters go because it is applicable to other materials. Minus lenses, as big as you can make them, 80/85mm, we are doing more and more larger frames and every mm helps. As far as plus goes I'd like to see some larger diameters in lower powers, 70/75mm. We do number of larger nylor and metal grooves and I cringe every time I have a client that wants a pair of +1.00 in them. In most cases I have to charge them our surface price, which can add up quick. For the most I won't use stock for anything over a +2.00 (frame choice being a large factor). I've lost a few jobs because they love the frame but the lenses are too expensive, and they are only +0.75.
    Are you saying you have different prices for stock vs surfaced lenses? I've never heard of such a thing!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have used to 60mm poly a bit, also with ARC. I dont like the + hi index lenses although they do groove and drill well. Does anyone remember the Essilor Thin? What ever happened to those?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Are you saying you have different prices for stock vs surfaced lenses? I've never heard of such a thing!
    I'll use Trivex as an example. Our stock Phoenix w/ Hi-vision retails for $165, if we have to surface it the retail price is $270. We don't do in house surfacing, so the prices between stock and surface vary quite a bit from our labs.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Large or small...............................

Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    I am interested to know what diameter polycarbonate SV lenses most people use or would have interest in using for minus and plus?
    Doc, you will get many answers on above question. When looking at the frame fashion changing to large sizes again............you will have to decide on what molds to use.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When possible, and especially on a lens higher than +2, I try to use grind lenses. I think it's silly to use a stock lens on, say, +4 because your edge thickness is going to be huge, and the lenses will look/feel much stronger than they actually are!

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    I'll use Trivex as an example. Our stock Phoenix w/ Hi-vision retails for $165, if we have to surface it the retail price is $270. We don't do in house surfacing, so the prices between stock and surface vary quite a bit from our labs.
    I agree with CME for a change.

Although the cost of the lens materials does have an effect on the retail, any lens finished or ground has the same value to the patient and would have the same cost to the patient. Maybee track six months worth of jobs and use a retail based on overall cost of usage and stop losing patients, you might find a small increase in what you currently charge when using stock lenses would offset the loss of profit on ground lenses if the majority of jobs are stock. Just a thought

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Polycarbonate 60mm

Are there any UK readers out there who use Polycarbonate 60mm, We use Vision Ease for ours but they are running low on certain powers, was wondering if anybody knows of any other suppliers

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would love a 60mm poly diameter.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by prolens View Post
    Are there any UK readers out there who use Polycarbonate 60mm, We use Vision Ease for ours but they are running low on certain powers, was wondering if anybody knows of any other suppliers

I don`t use 60mm poly lenses. To be honest, we don`t do a huge amount of them and for the powers required, a 65mm does the job just fine, otherwise we just order an Airwear precaled from Essilor.

Thread Information