Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustments "At Your Own Risk?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't ever feel as though a warning to the Patient is out of line. If someone comes to me with a repair that looks as though it might end badly I typically (cheerfully) say to the pt, "Well, these are pretty mangled. I'm going to see what I can do to help you out but I will only adjust to the point where I feel the frames are still wearable. If I can't get them perfectly straight then that means that they are damaged beyond repair and it's time to purchase a new set of glasses."

This has never caused a customer service issue. I'm not trying to be a hero-I'm only going to take it so far.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Vik View Post
    Very new to Optiboard... Could you please let me know how to PM you so that you could send me a copy of your waiver. I want to make sure that I have worded my document right.
    Thanks Very Much!!
    Click on the posters name on the upper left corner of the post. This will get you to the poster's personal page. On it will be a link to allow you to leave a personal message! Welcome to Optiboard, Vik!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    who has time for the 16 minute "well what if" conversation that follows the warning?!

I definitely warn when it looks like it might break while attempting to bring it back to life though.
    Last edited by eyechick1969; 02-16-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added something that's all

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I don't ever feel as though a warning to the Patient is out of line. If someone comes to me with a repair that looks as though it might end badly I typically (cheerfully) say to the pt, "Well, these are pretty mangled. I'm going to see what I can do to help you out but I will only adjust to the point where I feel the frames are still wearable. If I can't get them perfectly straight then that means that they are damaged beyond repair and it's time to purchase a new set of glasses."

This has never caused a customer service issue. I'm not trying to be a hero-I'm only going to take it so far.
    Hey, that's pretty much my spiel too. I haven't broken a pof...yet! Now where's some wood?!?!
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most people who come to you for adjustments either, purchased elsewhere but work nearby you, childrens frame at a local school that the bleeding heart teacher brings in, because the parents can not leave work, are walking by your office with nothing else to do, have been to every other optical shop where they were told to "buzz off', were told by the one "creep" whom your were able to save his 15 yr old glasses, that you are free and will fix them, (this only leads to more "creeps" coming by) and etc ...etc ...etc....

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Most people who come to you for adjustments either, purchased elsewhere but work nearby you, childrens frame at a local school that the bleeding heart teacher brings in, because the parents can not leave work, are walking by your office with nothing else to do, have been to every other optical shop where they were told to "buzz off', were told by the one "creep" whom your were able to save his 15 yr old glasses, that you are free and will fix them, (this only leads to more "creeps" coming by) and etc ...etc ...etc....
    That explains a lot.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread is a half decade old, but the answer is still the same. Point to every scratch on the lenses and say "did this scratch happen when you fell (stepped on them, lost the fight, whatever they said happened)?" It's both tactful and practical. Then tell them your charge. Choose prices that match whatever accessories you happen to sell might cost. Ring the repair up under "accessories"...most important, put that accessory in a special place where you can grab one to give away when you have a disgruntled customer to appease. Or sometimes as an apology to a nice person that you inconvenienced somehow.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    This thread is a half decade old, but the answer is still the same. Point to every scratch on the lenses and say "did this scratch happen when you fell (stepped on them, lost the fight, whatever they said happened)?" It's both tactful and practical. Then tell them your charge. Choose prices that match whatever accessories you happen to sell might cost. Ring the repair up under "accessories"...most important, put that accessory in a special place where you can grab one to give away when you have a disgruntled customer to appease. Or sometimes as an apology to a nice person that you inconvenienced somehow.
    Goes to show you can beat a dead horse. I am wondering, when an optician reuses a customers old frame for a new RX, how do you feel when the lab calls before touching the frame to explian "we process this used frames ONLY at the customers risk"? We had to put this on our price list. The glasses salesman, happy to have made a sale, would often not even look at the old frame. Would it be better to just say we will not do this? When the lab breaks an old frame without this warning and the frame is not replaceable, they have to give the customer the choice of ANYTHING on your frame bar. And man, talk about price shopping.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Goes to show you can beat a dead horse. I am wondering, when an optician reuses a customers old frame for a new RX, how do you feel when the lab calls before touching the frame to explian "we process this used frames ONLY at the customers risk"? We had to put this on our price list. The glasses salesman, happy to have made a sale, would often not even look at the old frame. Would it be better to just say we will not do this? When the lab breaks an old frame without this warning and the frame is not replaceable, they have to give the customer the choice of ANYTHING on your frame bar. And man, talk about price shopping.
    Easy one- I don't touch POF for all the reasons you just provided. For one thing, I cannot give them the "complete pair" (usually 50%) discount and our edging fee is outrageous. They would not save money using their old frame at our place.

I keep the number of two independent opticals with their own edgers on hand. The customer's needs are served and the shop knows who sent them because I write their number/address on my own business card. So far, no complaints. I'll stop if they ask me to.

Occupation
    You break it you buy it should work both ways.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do POF's whenever someone wants to. It's what distinguishes opticians from salesmen.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    We do POF's whenever someone wants to. It's what distinguishes opticians from salesmen.

I,hereby, nominate this for: Post of the Month!
    Last edited by uncut; 02-18-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: graphic cleanse

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I,hereby, nominate this for: Post of the Month!
    I'll second it if Johns changes his wording to reflect the times. It's "salespersons."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I warn everyone with an outside RX. I thankfully have had no problems. I split the cost on a saddle bridge I broke, yeah my doc took the 5 dollars from my paycheck.

The only issue I ever had was a lady walked in with ill fitting glasses. She wanted me to adjust them to fit her....they were way to small. I explained the only thing I could do was splay the arms out and that they still would not "fit". I suspect she got them from an online retailer. She got all huffy and called me stupid and that anyone in who has my job should be able to make her glasses fit. (Of course we all have that magical ability to change eye size and temple size that we keep hidden) As she ran out I yelled at her that I would never have sold her those glasses in the first place, becuase they do not fit.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
    ~Josh Billings~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The full moon isn't until Thursday the 8th!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Licensed Optician

Quote Originally Posted by PAkev View Post
    We use a POP (Patients Own Property) waiver which is located at our dispensing table. I covers patients own frames, patients own lenses, repairs, and adjustments. In addition we make our fees for misc. services, nosepads, temple bars, rimless cord, etc. visible so that folks can put a value on the service we are providing to them.

If anyone is interested PM me and I can e mail a copy as a word.doc attachment.

Email copy to polarvision@ssimicro.com. were located north of 60th parallel.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    The full moon isn't until Thursday the 8th!

Yeah well it's effects were being felt by me big time Monday. There was lots of PFMS: Pre-Full Moon Syndrome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvtcjhalo View Post
    I warn everyone with an outside RX. I thankfully have had no problems. I split the cost on a saddle bridge I broke, yeah my doc took the 5 dollars from my paycheck.
    You have GOT to be kidding us. Please say yes! He took $5 out of your pay? Does he give you an extra $100 when you make a spectacular sale! I would find a truly spectacular place to put that "doc's" $5.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're doctor is an a**hole. I wouldn't work another minute for any employer that did that to me. And while I was on my way out the door I would be making little bird sounds....you know - CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    You're doctor is an a**hole. I wouldn't work another minute for any employer that did that to me. And while I was on my way out the door I would be making little bird sounds....you know - CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!
    +10

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I've told clients bears repeating here:

You are as uncomfortable wearing the same shirt or blouse 3 days in a row, as you are wearing the same glasses 3 years in a row.

Go figure.

Again.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 03-08-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aww yes, a woman came in to make an apt for her husband. Her lens had poped out of her rimless frame. I poped it back in there and used my screw driver to push back the nylon cord and my hand slipped and scracted the lens. I was so mad at myself. Se wasn't a pt. Thankfully it was just a pair of readers. I replaced the lens for her and to make up it I replaced the other lens aswell b/c it had dents in it to. All at no cost. On a side note my store does 2nd pairs a 50% off. I usally send a thank you letter reminding pts of this. By mistake I sent her one. Normally I would not have sent her one. She came in and bought another pair at 1/2 price. Covered my mistake :-)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post

Even when I worked at the LC, the management didn't say anything if you broke a frame. And these were people who would sell their first born (and second and third) to make a sale.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need a new job. You're not working to lose money.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do warn with the eyes of "el gato" from Shrek and 99.5% seem OK with that.

Thread Information