Thread: Distance/intermediate in computer progressive?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Distance/intermediate in computer progressive?

If a mildly farsighted presbyope who couldn't adapt to standard PALs wanted a lens for distance/intermediate only (and uses a separate pair of reading glasses), could a computer progressive be used with full distance prescription down to intermediate instead of intermediate to near? I was told these lenses have less peripheral distortion which was the main reason for the nonadapt to PALs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not make up a Ft-35 or Executive bifocal for on the computer? Use the distance portion for the copmuter rx and the add for the regular adjusted near. No problem with distortion, plenty of room/width, and won't break the bank.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    If a mildly farsighted presbyope who couldn't adapt to standard PALs wanted a lens for distance/intermediate only (and uses a separate pair of reading glasses), could a computer progressive be used with full distance prescription down to intermediate instead of intermediate to near? I was told these lenses have less peripheral distortion which was the main reason for the nonadapt to PALs.

I think the intermediate portion would be to far down in a computer lens. I agree with Fezz line with high placement or maybee the varilux liberty placed a little high

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

? on Liberty

How would the liberty be a better PAL - for pts that have had issues with swim effects or seeing the soft focus area -

I had also thought - and also was informed by the varilux rep - that the liberty - was along the lines of a hard design - with very "defined areas "
    much like the 1st hard designed pals on the market 10-15 yrs ago

What was the non adapts that the pt had tried in the past - maybe the pt was referring to pals many moons ago - I have great success with physio - and also ellispe - with pts stating they see little or NO SOFT focus area's

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I fit my very anal engineer significant other with a near and intermediate Physio with slightly higher fit, then crossed my fingers. He loves them. That's all I have been using lately and with great results.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bt5050 View Post
    How would the liberty be a better PAL - for pts that have had issues with swim effects or seeing the soft focus area -

I had also thought - and also was informed by the varilux rep - that the liberty - was along the lines of a hard design - with very "defined areas "
    much like the 1st hard designed pals on the market 10-15 yrs ago

What was the non adapts that the pt had tried in the past - maybe the pt was referring to pals many moons ago - I have great success with physio - and also ellispe - with pts stating they see little or NO SOFT focus area's
    I've been led to believe the liberty was more on the lines of a blended bifocal designed for the 21st century no progressive channel and very minimal distortion. if I've misunderstood the marketing I'm sorry.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that the one piece of information we're missing is where his computer screen is. If he's using a laptop, that's very different from a monitor sitting high above his desk (as some of my engineers do for some reason). If his screen is low, your idea might work. You could occlude the demo lens with tape above where the computer Rx would be (or where the mark up chart says the full reading would be) and have him try it out to see how uncomfortable it would be to use that way. It all depends on his natural posture and the location of his monitor.
    *Keep in mind, he might have been using his reading glasses while working at the computer in the past, and he may have hit the level of presbyopia where that will not work any more. Be sure to explain to him that he will not be able to look at the computer then back at papers...he might not be considering this and it could be quite a pain!*
    Does he need the glasses for driving? If he's a +0.50 ou, why not use the "computer lenses" they way they're designed to be?
    And keep in mind how you order those lenses b/c I know with the Shamir Office, I order them for intermediate/reading and there is a small amount of distance (up to about 10 feet) in the lens...not enough for driving but enough to see who walked into your office. So, if you order it distance/intermediate, you might get "ultra distance" up top, depending on the Rx.

Thread Information