Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the test

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

the test

i was surprised at the abo exam. i'd like to hear input from others, but i was shocked that there was little to no computations, formulas, etc, like i expected. there were a few questions i had to guess at which makes me nervous, but i guess i'll just have to wait and see. my initial reaction was, "this is easy!" but then i second-guessed that when i was done so early.

7 weeks to wait and see.... :-)

how did everyone else fare? what did you think?

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey:)

My optician took her ABO Sunday too, and once finished called and an asked "what test were you prepping me for?" She said the exact same thing. No math, no slab off, nothing. She was very surprised.

I looked at my ABO this morning. It has been 10 years to this past weekend when I took mine. What the heck happened? Have they gone soft?

Christina

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    Hey:)
    What the heck happened? Have they gone soft?
    Christina
    yes:(

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Simple: They don't want skilled opticians anymore, they want salespeople and inventory keepers to work in doctor's offices. Computations done in lab or in office by computer, repairs not done in office, adjustments not particularly important. Shoot the schools are turning out people that can't read or write, do simple math how you gonna have opticians out of these people, they can sell and that's what's important isn't it?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I took the test in '92 it was a tough test I had to retake it 2 years ago, to get my Ohio license, I was also surprised. Almost no need for formulas except seg placement and decentration. This is a "basic" certification, but with most license states linking ABO/NCLE to their state license it is no wonder that most newer opticians seem to us old guys/gals, to be coming up a little short.
    Paul:cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

they can't take away

what the people who were really prepared took the time to learn. although maybe they have "gone soft" but i'm glad i studied hard and will be a better optician for it.

whats the ABO-AC test like? maybe (if i passed-) i'll take that one in the spring.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO Exam

Hello Boarders,

It is upsetting if they have deleted important formulas for the ABO.

Regardless of that, we (our Opticianry program at Hillsborough Community College) will continue to teach optics...Prentice's Rule, Slab Off, Vertex
    Comp, Sag, Focal Length, Rules of Tilt, Vogel's Rule for Base Curve, etc.

Geometric and Physical Optics are very important for troubleshooting ophthalmic optics, as you all know.

Is anyone from the ABO board here? Care to respond and fill us in?

: )

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The ABO, for better or for worse, is the "benchmark" of the industry for indicating competence in opticianry. Unfortunately, the easier the ABO exams become, the less salary opticianry as a profession can expect to command, in my opinion.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO EXAM Horror story!

I took my *first* ABO exam after I passed my New York Licensure exam (which was 7 (!) parts given over 3 (!) days...and didn't include the practical!). The 100 Qs ABO was a breeze after the NYS exam. You really needed to know your stuff well back then.

The I maintained my ABO certification for a few registration periods, and then I let it drop (but that's another story!).

Then in the early 90's, I decided to try for the ABOM (Masters). I found that my NYS registration was enough at that time to permit me to take the Masters exam.

So I did! and I passed. Then I had to do the *paper*...but the topic I chose was unorthodox, and it took a while for me to prepare the outline and get approval.

Well, they approved the paper, and I became a Master (yeah..right!). Then I wanted to get my base ABO certification back in and what do you think happened? Yes... they said that I HAD to sit for the ABO certification exam AGAIN...even though I had ABOM Master Certification already!

Sooo...I registered and sat for the ABO exam. I was truly the oldest one there. The exam began...I remember they allowed 3 hrs for 100 multiple choice questions.

41 minutes into the exam...I raised my hand for a proctor. Others around me assumed I had a question, or had to go to the restroom. When I told the proctor I was done...well, she didn't believe it!

Today, I have base and ABOM masters certifications I agree with Darryl..the exam is too easy. But even in NY now...it is the benchmark written exam.

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took the ABO-AC test this last weekend and something just aggravated the crap out of me. When ever there was a scenario question they would use the phrase "customer/patient". Do most of you think we deal with patients or customers?

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My sentiments exactly! I also took the ABOC test this past sunday and I was a little surprised... I thought (to my overjoyment) "this seems pretty easy!" as soon as I began! LoL... I was so nervous I wouldnt know ANY answers! So this was a nice surprise. I counted back after I finished (in 1 hour) and I did have about 15 or so Q's I wasnt sure about. But I honestly only remember doing a select few formulas/calculations (like prentice rule and decentration). Maybe the exams have gone soft, but I am eager now to take the Advanced test! And I also learned alot through my "Over-Studying" things I really didnt need! Ah well... Now we wait... :p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Same 'Ol Same 'Ol......

It's unfortunately just another example of how America is on the downhill slope in comparison to the rest of the world. The "dumbing down" of students all over the country for the past two-three generations is coming home to roost. I'll never forget a teacher back in high school(1976) the first time he tried to explain how they would be grading on a "curve". I remember thinking how it sucked that my "A" grades were going to get tossed out to help the overall class score better. Plastic-Banana, Liberal Bull**** back then and still today! Congratulations Laurie on what is sure to be a passing grade! Always strive to improve youself in the field and you will do well. Hang out here at O.B. and we will all "get better".:) Chris..

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

When I worked in a Drs office. . .

I thought of them as patients. Now I think of them as clients.
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Abo Ac Test

ziggy

how was the test? (besides the stupid "customer" reference?)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess it depends if they are sick or not! I have customers, I'm an optician in a retail environment. I think ODS and Ophthalmologists have the patients.
    Last edited by CME4SPECS; 11-21-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

customer/patient

i work for a OD's office so i see them as patients. i guess it does depend. i like to think of them that way because it feels less like i am selling them something and more like i am taking care of their visual needs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WHVISIONLAURIE View Post
    i work for a OD's office so i see them as patients. i guess it does depend. i like to think of them that way because it feels less like i am selling them something and more like i am taking care of their visual needs.
    No matter how you look at it...you are selling them something. Don't try to disquise it as meeting their visual needs.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

i guess

i know i am still selling and i'm not trying to disguise that. i know that and so do they, neither of us are stupid. but i do try to meet their needs and was always taught to call them "patients". it doesn't matter what you call them as long as you meet their needs and exceed their expectations.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by WHVISIONLAURIE View Post
    ziggy

how was the test? (besides the stupid "customer" reference?)
    I thought it was well rounded, heavy on optics, and thats a good thing. If you plan on taking it, make sure you know get Stoner's book on optical formulas.

If you make and dispense a medical device, then the people you despense that device to are:drop: "patients". When you sell them cleaner, chains, cases,ect,ect,ect, then they become customers. I dont recall anything on the ABO, ABO-AC or the NCLE concerning the selling of any of those products.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hrm interesting topic.....i just wonder how the certification compares to what we have over here in the UK, i sat the SMC (tech) exams a few years back and that was nearly all maths, optics and ophthalmic lenses, mostly general stuff but 2nd year exams were more specifically tailored to surfacing calcs.
    I am now in my 2nd year of the ABDO course and although this year is split 50/50 between optics and anatomy, first year was like doing the SMC (tech) again with a bit more of a focus on dispensing, and 3rd year is mostly visual optics and the final practical exams.
    Seems that over here the exams are nearly all theory based, although to be fair it is accredited as equal to a higher national diploma (and can be upgraded to a degree with an extra year of training and exams). I just wonder what sort of accreditation the ABO / ABOM holds, what the training involves and how it compares to what we have over here.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza
    I just wonder what sort of accreditation the ABO / ABOM holds, what the training involves and how it compares to what we have over here.
    Short and sweet, It doesn't. The ABDO and the SMC tests are from examples given way harder than anything we have here in the states.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took the Florida exam back in 1985. When I came out of it, I felt like I had run a race. It was a challenge, but one that Hillsborough made sure I was up to.

When I came back to Ohio later that year to take the ABO & NCLE for the Ohio test, I had the same results as Barry. Someone later told me they thought that I just gave up and walked out. It was as basic as a test could be.

I wouldn't believe that the test could be any more watered down, until, as I have previously posted, my receptionist decided to take the test this year, and passed it without breaking a sweat.

The test doesn't speak very highly for the state of opticianry, nor for the expectations of those new to the field. I am looking forward to the day when there will be compulsory formal education, and a test that qualifies those who pass it to be able to ask more than just, "Do you want to super size that?"
    Last edited by Johns; 11-22-2006 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spilt stuff rong

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I just wonder what sort of accreditation the ABO / ABOM holds, what the training involves and how it compares to what we have over here.
    Harry pretty much summed it up. The old ABOM exam was probably in the same "ballpark," though the questions were still not as difficult as many of the questions I've seen from the ABDO.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From the information in another thread on the current state of the exam, you might read: "Fun with Dick and Jane."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just took the Florida State Boards in October and passed it easily. I am a graduate of Hillsborough Community College and am very thankful for the education. I was/am a lab rat and think my years of lab experience paid big time in the test.

I guess I too was suprised at how easy these tests are. It honestly left me feeling a bit hollow. Just about anyone with half a brain could study to pass the tests.

Formal education should be the benchmark and apprenticeships should be banned or STRICTLY monitored. I know of Florida apprentice opticians that never have seen the inside of a lab or fit contacts on patients but ended up with a license because the FL board just accepts the sponsors endorsment without question. I was also on that same track and it felt wrong so I sought out education voluntarily. To bad it's not mandatory.

Thread Information