Thread: Shameful market gimmick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shameful market gimmick

Well...I think that I have seen it all. We have all seen how some companies marketing divisions waste $$$$ on bogus knick-knacks, origami sales slicks, cheesy give aways. Yesterday we got the most shameful, sinful waste of money I have ever seen. We get in a box. Tear open the box and inside is the most flimsy, thin plastic, chintzy, piece of garbage "Yellow Hard Hat". Believe me, that hat was everything but hard. What a joke. It was from Alcon. The Optifree Replenish logo was on the front. What a total waste of time and money. Alcon should be ashamed of themselves. Who would approve this. This went right from the box to the trash.

:angry:

P.S.The best part= Inside warning label "This is a toy-does not provide protection"! No Kidding! A piece of Saran wrap and a postage stamp would provide more protection! What a bunch of flipping JERKS!
    Last edited by Fezz; 11-07-2006 at 05:12 PM. Reason: additional idiodic information

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL...that's quite funny. What in the world does a hard hat have to do with Alcon anyway? Am I missing something?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Now that is funny. Hey Fezz, If you don't want it, I am sure my daughter would take it since the one she had gotten from Chuckie Cheese is getting worn out. Again, that is some funny stuff.

Thats was always amazed me about "freebies" it is usually some piece of crap that no one will use. Instead, why don't they just give you a better price or at least something related to your industry. You would not believe the amount of "Travel" bags I have gottem from Office Depot just for ordering a minimum amount of office supplies. And you can bet your bottom dollar that I make sure my staff doing the ordering take full advantage of all that stuff. :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, the stuff I throw away. I have asked all frame reps to not send any POP that is larger than 8x10 or that stands on it's own. I have very little counter space. Low and behold with each large frame order comes a larger box of unusable stuff. They don't want it back, I refuse to store it, so out to the dumpster. What a waste.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alcon is the same company that ships a sample 14 oz (or something) bottle, alone, in a box that could hold an entire case. And they UPS it!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Alcon is the same company that ships a sample 14 oz (or something) bottle, alone, in a box that could hold an entire case. And they UPS it!

I know!!!!!! They pay more in shipping than any company I have ever dealt with. Imagine if someone with at least 2 1/2 brain cells actually looked at the amount of waste and did something to stop it! They would be a swimming in the dough. Morons:angry:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EncoreJim View Post
    Now that is funny. Hey Fezz, If you don't want it, I am sure my daughter would take it since the one she had gotten from Chuckie Cheese is getting worn out.

Encore,

I could not give it to her. Her Chuckie Cheese issue hat is FAR SUPERIOR to this yellow plastic wrap, sorry excuse for a hat, piece of garbage could ever hope to be. I am afraid she would be dissapointed. You know, its a TOY..not protective headwear;).

Please, if any of you out there get this same sinful package=post your thoughts! I got to hear them. We all just giggle at how silly this is.

Wait a minute...those marketing genuises!!!! They got me. Here I am spreading the name of there product and talking about them....UGH!!! Those smart Bast@rds.

:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My coworkers 2 year old son loves the plastic hat. First thing he did was tear the sticker off, stick it on the wall and take his crayons to color on the hat.

I do like some of the beach towels, key chains, calculaters, and pens they send.

Some companies send so much pop crap i could probably insulate my house with it. I would rather get the $ value of that crap and $ value of shipping deducted from the monthly statement.
    Last edited by Scott R; 11-07-2006 at 10:12 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz;163928
    Wait a minute...those marketing genuises!!!! They got me. Here I am spreading the name of there product and talking about them....UGH!!! Those smart [EMAIL="Bast@rds"
    Bast@rds[/EMAIL].
    :cheers:
    HAHA!! You lose! You ever see a comercial on TV that is just sooo stupid, you're wondering what in the world they were thinking? Then you go to all your friends/family and say, "Hey did you see that commercial for product X, where the guy is skydiving with X in his pocket and then...blah blah blah. Yeah, isn't that just sooo stupid!?!" And then you stop and realize, hey, I told 8 people today about product X because I was so personally stricken by the stupidity of it all. ...not so stupid anymore!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper I Agree!

I think your correct in saying that Alcon got exactly what they wanted by advertising with the yellow hardhat. Everyone is talking, aren't they??

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And here I am wanting PoP crap, and can rarely get any! I use to large banners to block out the light coming in through our large front window, to reduce glare and showcase frame at the same time... I also like to update it every few months so it looks like we always have something new...

Ohh well :)

Cassandra
    Last edited by Jubilee; 11-08-2006 at 07:48 PM. Reason: MIspelling
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We got ours yesterday. We still haven't figured out what it has to do with OptiFree.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    It must mean that they have too much money!

ad

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We were dumb-founded when our yellow plastic hat arrived the other day. Instead of paying to send this crap out why don't they just knock 2 cents off the price of every bottle of Opti-Free, I have a feeling our patients would appreciate that much more than that yellow garbage!! The funniest part of the whole thing is that somewhere deep in Alcon there must be a room where they overpay a whole bunch of monkeys to come up with these ridiculous ideas!! (ps- sign me up for that job!!!)

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If it didn't cost so much it would be fun to send your payment to these people in the same manner! Put the check in a giant display! Imagine how cramped that mailroom would get!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like to send them there check....wrapped in Preperation H ! ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL, Optidonn, that would be FUNNY!

Occupation
    Optometrist

Alcon's Yellow Hard Hat

I have not received my yellow hard hat yet but I just can't wait!! Most of Alcon's marketing is outsourced. When they call your office for the solution samples and say they are Alcon calling it is really a marketing company 3 miles from my office here in Pennsylvania!! Our industry is nothing compared to the M.D's and the booty they get. Look for a DVD called "Money Talks". The pharmaceutical industry spends an average of $30,000 per M.D. in marketing each year!! Thats alot of pens and hard hats.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    I have not received my yellow hard hat yet
    Walleye-

I can bring you mine when we get together! You may get jealous and want to keep it though. I may end up framing this one! ;)

Optical Chemical Manufacturer
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

advertising is amazing

It is amazing how much attention is given to a few inexpensive advertising materials. So I guess the stuff really gets your attention and works.

Thread Information