Thread: Transitions and True Free Form lenses

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Transitions and True Free Form lenses

I was conversing with one of our lens reps today about "true free form" lenses. Talking Gradal Individual, Autograph, Ipseo, Hoyalux ID...What she stated was that because of the dual surfacing involved in making a true free form lens, that transitions was incompatable with this process.

According to her sources, those that offer transitions in a "free form" lens are either using a molded lens, or in the case of the Ipseo, only surfacing a small portion of the add on the front (which I thought was good anyway) or somehow is manufacturing a lens that isn't really as customized, correcting for higher order abberations etc...as their lens.

I was curious as to the truthfullness of this statement. Is transitions not compatible with Free form lenses, and are manufacturer's who are trying ot combine the two providing something that either A)isn't double surfaced, or B)less customized than the "clear" product?

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

What is a freeform lens

Is transitions not compatible with Free form lenses, and are manufacturer's who are trying ot combine the two providing something that either A)isn't double surfaced, or B)less customized than the "clear" product?
    You can get Photochromic lenses in freeform using a coating type of photochromic or an photochromic that is mixed with the lens material. It would be possible with a double sided freeform to be processed by a photochromic mixed with the lens monomer.

My guess is the rep was a Hoya rep, (since they don't offer a spherical front with the customized design all on the back surface.) Every person selling their product puts their spin on the subject.

Just because the lens is not custom surfaced on both sides does not mean you are not able to create a very customized individualized lens. The problem maybe that some companies that do dual sided surfacing can not get a Seiko Epson patent license. When Definity was introduced they had a portion of the add on the front. This way they were not infringing on the Seiko Epson license.

A dual surfaced lens is by its very nature more expensive to produce and is subject to potential misalignment during processing, as the front surface and the back must be lined up pretty close when cutting surfaces within micros of accuracy.

Order a new ICE-TECH freeform Individualized lens and see the Wow factor. I can also add alot of spin if you want but we prefer to let the product do the talking.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you send me information on the pricing and options for your lens? Also is the lens VSP approved. So far I have only had 2 patients willing to pay full cost for these lenses. The others are VSP patients who only have their copays with it.

This is part of the reason why I haven't pursued Hoya that much is because I don't really have the "market" for the HoyaluxID. The Autograph, Individual, and 360's are all ones that with VSP are "doable"

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote:
    I was curious as to the truthfullness of this statement. Is transitions not compatible with Free form lenses, and are manufacturer's who are trying ot combine the two providing something that either A) isn't double surfaced, or B) less customized than the "clear" product?

The Transitions process is done on the front surface of the lens and a scratch coating is then applied. Transitions lenses are produced in bulk - thousands of finished and semi-finished lenses at a time, so if a lens product is available in Transitions (or as a polarized product for that matter) the front surface of that lens can't be custom!

If Transitions processed 1 job at a time you could have a "custom" front surface with Transitions - but they don't work that way! A clear lens won't be any more or less customized than a Transitions lens from the same manufacturer.

iD is the only custom FRONT and back surface product available in the US. Other "freeform" products are molded semi-finished lenses that are processed on the back surface.

New Product Release 11/02/2006
    HOYA iD is now available in EYNOA 1.67 Suntech, HOYA’s proprietary photochromic lens offering. Suntech is unique because it can be applied to semi-finished blanks (like Transitions) or applied on an Rx basis (one job at a time).

With iD, HOYA applies Suntech after the job has been surfaced. Since Hoyalux iD lenses are surfaced on the front and the back, traditional photochromic (i.e. Transitions) technology won’t work. This makes Suntech a fantastic technological solution for Hoyalux iD. Suntech, another great example of HOYA’s superior technology!

EYNOA 1.67 Suntech: Now available in both Grey and Brown photochromic colors.
    Last edited by Bill Mahnke; 11-02-2006 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added new product release details

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So tell us more about the Suntech process. I take it to be a coating that is either dipped or vacuum applied. How long of a life does it have, and how does it operate compared to a Transitions V lens? Grey or Brown?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Suntech is a durable top coating applied to the front surface of the lens with Hoya’s spin coating technique.

Suntech has been avaialble in other markets for a number of years. At this point Suntech will only be available in the USA on 1.67 HOYA iD, keep in mind that iD is processed in Germany. Add-on Suntech pricing is reasonable, check with your HOYA rep or send me a private email if you're interested.

For more details please visit the following HOYA UK website:

http://www.hoya.co.uk/index.php?SID=...4&page_id=3054

Thread Information